Can Anyone Recommend A Decent Anti Mould Shower Sealant ?

Found 30th Sep 2015
Hi, I think this question may have been asked before but can anyone recommend a decent Anti Mould Shower Sealant ?

So far we have tried the following but they hardly last a year as then they start turning a bit mouldy after a year ?

Unibond Anti-Mould Shower & Bathroom White Sealant 300 ml

Unibond Triple Protection Shower, Bathroom & Kitchen White Sealant 300 ml

Evo-Stik Shower & Bathroom White Sealant 290 ml

Someone recommend the following, can I have your thoughts on the below please ?

BAL Micromax Sealant

Dow Corning 785+ Bacteria Resistant Sanitary Silicone White 310ml

Soudal Stay Fresh Sanitary Silicone Sealant Ice White 300ml

Thank you very much in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Which ever one you use, you will still need to wipe down/away any standing water.
If dow corning 785 is going mouldy you have a problem with ventilation or cleaning! I also believe certain water supplies can cause mould far more quickly (not a problem in my area, but it's almost 'slimey' for a friend in Sutton Coldfield).
themorgatron

If dow corning 785 is going mouldy you have a problem with ventilation or … If dow corning 785 is going mouldy you have a problem with ventilation or cleaning! I also believe certain water supplies can cause mould far more quickly (not a problem in my area, but it's almost 'slimey' for a friend in Sutton Coldfield).

Just re-read and you havent used 785, try that as its by far the best, and cheap at £4 a tube.
Thank you everyone but a builder is recommending "BAL Micromax Sealant" as he is saying that's the best available in the market but my instincts are telling me to go with Dow Corning 785+ Bacteria Resistant Sanitary Silicone White 310ml.
I've also heard that Dow Corning 785+ is the best and that is what I'll be using.
BAL are a great manufacturer, if he recommends it I would go with him - I'd have every confidence it's as good as 785.
My only question is that 785 is nearly £4 but BAL is nearly double the price.

Shall I still go with 785 ?
jamilayz

My only question is that 785 is nearly £4 but BAL is nearly double the … My only question is that 785 is nearly £4 but BAL is nearly double the price. Shall I still go with 785 ?

If you are doing it yourself just go with 785, if the builder is doing it go with his suggestion then it's on him if it goes mouldy.

If you are doing it yourself use something like this set along with a pack of baby wipes to wipe away the excess
Thanks Everyone.
themorgatron

If you are doing it yourself just go with 785, if the builder is doing it … If you are doing it yourself just go with 785, if the builder is doing it go with his suggestion then it's on him if it goes mouldy.If you are doing it yourself use something like this set along with a pack of baby wipes to wipe away the excess

A builder has also confirmed that 785 is good as BAL & Mapei.

Fix the cause

Doesn't matter how many times you replace the sealant with this or that you will always suffer unless you try to cure the damp that allows mold to grow.

What ventilation is there?
Is it effective?
Is it being used?
I've got the Unibond one - had it on for a year no problems.

My bathroom is well ventilated though and I always wipe away the exess water.

The reason why you have mould is the excess moisture - reduce that as much as possible to resolve the issue.
Thanks.
I being using the toolstation sanitry sealant for a long time and can not recommend it enough for value and for what it does. Also I suggest dripping toilet bleach on the silicon and tiles if u see signs of mould every now and then which Will kill the mould between any grout lines and the silicon.
Got inibond myself 4 and half years no issue.
Is it surface mould or is there black mould growing in the sealant. If its surface mould ensure cleaning of the area 2 to 3 times a week. If the black mould is setting in then its a ventilation issue and possibly moisture being trapped behind your sealant.
Thank You.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants