Groups

can anyone recommend a decent ip camera

Hi,

I'm after a fairly decent IP camera that I can put on my network that will do motion detection and night vision - it will need to be able to save video to my nas and email me stills.

This is for home use and indoor only - the range at night (or day for that matter) would only need to be around 5 meters.

Most of the expensive kit in my house is under the telly in the lounge so I plan to put it there - if anyone breaks in they'll definitely end up messing around under there to get the media centre, wii, 360, telly, erm.....ip camera - lol but at least I'll have pics of them to give the police

Thanks for any recommendations,
    worto.

edit - oh and wired is fine, I have a 4 port homeplug thingy under my telly anyway so it can connect to that.

9 Comments

I got one of these

eyespy247.com/pub…es/

seem to do the job,
    can even browse live FMPEG on my phone, and email alerts too.
    connected via wifi and no issues,....

Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. That looks really good, the EyeSpy247PTZ is around £170 though, it's gone to the top of my list at the moment but is more than I wanted to spend, equally I don't want to buy a cheap crap one that I have to replace in 6 months because it's not good enough.

I'll keep looking for alternatives between now and payday...

No specific recommendations, but wireless might be a better shout than wired, since wireless doesn't leave a rather obvious trail that any tech-savvy burglar can follow.

worto03

Thanks for the reply. That looks really good, the EyeSpy247PTZ is around … Thanks for the reply. That looks really good, the EyeSpy247PTZ is around £170 though, it's gone to the top of my list at the moment but is more than I wanted to spend, equally I don't want to buy a cheap crap one that I have to replace in 6 months because it's not good enough.I'll keep looking for alternatives between now and payday...

check out FOSCAM, not sure which model though, they are supposed to be good but beware of chinese rip off which cannot be firmware upgraded.

dealextreme has alot.

or if it is for indoor, a while ago there was a camera at 7dayshop for around £70

Original Poster

Thanks for the FOSCAM tip this one looks like a perfect fit and I can get it from amazon so I know I'll have no trouble returning it if it doesn't live up to the job

Foscam-FI8918W at amazon

Foscam-FI8918W review

It doesn't look like it will record video directly to the NAS but I have a media center under the telly anyway so can record to that and I'm sure I can find some software that will watch a folder and upload anything that lands in it to the NAS.

the one you have is better but probably a bit overkill for my needs.

Thanks for the help,
    worto.
    Edited by: "worto03" 22nd Feb 2011

Like Zerowing I've gone for a couple from eyespy247 too - which I am more than happy with.

I did have (and kind of still have) a couple of Y-cams but am much happier with the ones from eyespy - the indoor cams from y-cam have this nasty purple tinge and loads of wifi dropout and considering how much they cost wasn't that impressed.

AH

Banned

hmm I have 2 of the Y-cams and they are brilliant, and no ongoing costs like the EyeSpy ones

Sorry for the late reply - only a year

Actually there are no on-going costs for the eyespy cameras if you use them as standard IP cameras. You only pay to use their service if you want to use their online recording system.

I've set up quite a few now with DDNS hostnames and they work just as well (if not better) than most IP cameras I've come across.

AH

i got a ycam when my kid was born
    being able to keep an eye on them sleeping on my ipad was handy.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card22
      2. DICKINSONS REAL DEAL £25,000 COMPETITION11
      3. wharf comp - win a michael grant watch - email entry only33
      4. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority11

See more discussions