Can anyone recommend a good underlay for laminated flooring in bedrooms please

Found 31st Jul 2011
Im wanting to swap my girls carpet for laminated flooring, maybe my sons too. But as I know they get older they will get more heavy footed and loud things, so Im wanting a good underlay so while we are downstairs we don't hear the kids too much upstairs.

Both their bedrooms are above our living room as our living room is large, so ideally we don't want constant noise.

Can anyone recommend a good thick underlay which I should use to reduce noise? or a good laminated flooring please.
Community Updates
MiscLaminate
37 Comments
Underlay Underlay Arriba Arriba.

I don't know which manufacturer/type we have (although I could try & find out for you) but we bought our laminate flooring & underlay from Floors2Go: [ floors2go.co.uk ] about six years ago.

Fitted in most rooms of our house (including one bedroom, & the floor to my shed!).

BFN,

fp.
Even with a good underlay, you will still hear the kids more with laminate than you did with carpet.

I'd give it some more thought.
sorry but laminate in bedroom is a massive NO .. just the noise will drive you round the twist. There are some quality hard wearing carpets and decent underlays that would be better
fp do you find it noisy in the bedroom? I will take a look at floors to go thanks

Moob I have put it off for 6 years now, but im sick of their bedromo constantly looking scruffy no matter how often its tidied and hoovered. They have cream carpet, and even though they have no juice or food up there, its the aftermath of tummy bugs and my Vax not being able to 100% get the marks out even though its been washed.

Im just wondering if the noise will outweigh how much better their bedroom looks, and will seem much bigger for them too.

I will definatly think about it more before I jump in and buy anything.
dog_cop

sorry but laminate in bedroom is a massive NO .. just the noise will … sorry but laminate in bedroom is a massive NO .. just the noise will drive you round the twist. There are some quality hard wearing carpets and decent underlays that would be better

Im not keen on it in the living room, but thought bedroom for kids would be ok. Maybe I should be looking for a tight pile style carpet then.
Edited by: "beth3735" 31st Jul 2011
dog_cop

sorry but laminate in bedroom is a massive NO .. just the noise will … sorry but laminate in bedroom is a massive NO .. just the noise will drive you round the twist. There are some quality hard wearing carpets and decent underlays that would be better

Do your high heels cause your neighbours a problem, d_c?

Seriously,though, we don't notice the noise, but without underfloor heating you may find you are less inclined to, cough, get up in a morning with a cold floor.

BFN,

fp.
Dont do it, my friend put laminate in there kids room and its the worst thing they did, it was so noisy they replaced if for carpet a couple of months later !

EDIT: Depends on the age of the kids, if they are older kids who don't make must noise they it will be ok, if they are young kids probably not
Edited by: "deanos" 31st Jul 2011
fanpages

Do your high heels cause your neighbours a problem, d_c? … Do your high heels cause your neighbours a problem, d_c? ;)Seriously,though, we don't notice the noise, but without underfloor heating you may find you are less inclined to, cough, get up in a morning with a cold floor.BFN,fp.

Oh I don't mind that, Im keeping my carpet in my bedroom My kids will have no choice but to get up. I would get them a nice big rug for the middle of their room for when they play, but this wouldn't be near their beds, just incase they decide to get poorly again.
fanpages

Underlay Underlay Arriba Arriba.I don't know which manufacturer/type we … Underlay Underlay Arriba Arriba.I don't know which manufacturer/type we have (although I could try & find out for you) but we bought our laminate flooring & underlay from Floors2Go: [ http://www.floors2go.co.uk ] about six years ago.Fitted in most rooms of our house (including one bedroom, & the floor to my shed!).BFN,fp.

added senor lego
beth3735

fp do you find it noisy in the bedroom? I will take a look at floors to … fp do you find it noisy in the bedroom? I will take a look at floors to go thanks

Not when our kids are home, f'narr, f'narr.

Sorry...

No, the bedroom is quite small, to be fair, so there isn't much scope for walking around barefoot, with socks, slippers, or outdoor shoes, but through the rest of the house it is quite noisy, yes.

Our dogs make quite a racket with their claws at times on the ground floor.

Easy to sweep... need to mop it... but more practical than carpets especially with [small, & sometimes big] kids (that spill food & drink).

BFN,

fp.
fanpages

dog_cop

added senor lego

Good job we didn't mention a Mexican Peeping Tom then.

BFN,

fp.
beth3735

Oh I don't mind that, Im keeping my carpet in my bedroom My kids will … Oh I don't mind that, Im keeping my carpet in my bedroom My kids will have no choice but to get up. I would get them a nice big rug for the middle of their room for when they play, but this wouldn't be near their beds, just incase they decide to get poorly again.

how about flotex carpets.. would be easy clean ?
fanpages

dog_cop

added senor lego

http://www.customminifig.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/lego-camera-by-mijasper.jpg

oh dear seems peeping lego tom has struck
see fp this is why I like the idea of it instead of carpet. Its so much easier to keep clean, where as carpet is a nightmare in some cases with kids.

I like the look of this carpet in main picture on page, but then again I cant mop it
Carpet

Only like this type for the kids rooms though.
Laminate floors are great.............till you put it down and realise a week later you want carpet back straight away and have to start all over again. X)
d_c off to google flotex lol
deanos

Dont do it, my friend put laminate in there kids room and its the worst … Dont do it, my friend put laminate in there kids room and its the worst thing they did, it was so noisy they replaced if for carpet a couple of months later !EDIT: Depends on the age of the kids, if they are older kids who don't make must noise they it will be ok, if they are young kids probably not

Although our kids are (obviously) six years older since we fitted it, we have the domestic equivalent of safety mats you would usually find around roundabouts & swings in outdoor playgrounds in their bedrooms (for accidents of a nature other than "fluid").

When it gets wet though... you have to make sure you get all of it or else it can soak through.

Hmmm... doesn't sound that appealing now I've mentioned that.

However, when they were (much) younger it meant that play fights & falling over accidents meant no injuries because of the cushioned floor.

BFN,

fp.
I must have been out of my tiny mind? thinking laminated flooring "would be good for my kids bedrooms,took 5 hours to fit two bedrooms, it will only take me 20 mins to rip it up>Now if my kids where over 16 years old"say" then not to bad,but realy not good if you got tiny kids the noise will driveing you insane, and the wife wearing high heels grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (get a carpet)
fanpages

Underlay Underlay Arriba Arriba

dog_cop

...added senor lego

fanpages

dog_cop

That will do.
Much cleaner than the punchline I was thinking of.

Cleaner than most carpets too (...good recovery, thanks very much!).

BFN,

fp.
op we've got laminate flooring in our attic bedroom and its the worse thing we've ever done!, every little step, is so loud in the bedroom below its driving me nuts.
if you have a chair with wheels on omg! thats the worst sounds like a flipping train going overhead!
we paid extra for the underlay as we wanted it quieter but it didnt work.
Flotex looks like the type in nurseries which they can sweep up too. Looks good, expensive though, but after all the bits I would of needed for the wood flooring It may be the same

My kids are 3,6 and 7 and we usually have an 11 yr over too who is a heavy footed kid even with the carpet my husbad usually had to shout up to them to be quiet lol.
Maybe I am best just keeping my eye out for a easy to maintain, hard wearing carpet.
fanpages

Underlay Underlay Arriba Arriba

dog_cop

...added senor lego

fanpages

dog_cop

you of to some shaking and vac-ing with Mrs fp this afternoon
beth3735

see fp this is why I like the idea of it instead of carpet. Its so much … see fp this is why I like the idea of it instead of carpet. Its so much easier to keep clean, where as carpet is a nightmare in some cases with kids.I like the look of this carpet in main picture on page, but then again I cant mop it [url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.diy.com%2Fdiy%2Fjsp%2Fbq%2Fnav.jsp%3Ffh_view_size%3D10%26fh_eds%3D%253f%26fh_location%3D%252f%252fcatalog01%252fen_GB%252fcategories%253c%257b9372013%257d%252fcategories%253c%257b9372028%257d%252fcategories%253c%257b9372106%257d%252fspecificationsProductType%253dcarpet]Carpet[/url]Only like this type for the kids rooms though.

Even if you impose a "no shoes" policy in their bedrooms to reduce noise it then makes the environment unsafe (depending on the age of your kids) as laminate floors can be quite easy to slide on.

We have had a "no food or drink" in bedrooms policy since we put the flooring down &, generally, they stick to that (rather than sticky food on the floor).

As discussed, if you lay laminate & then have a mat or rug you can roll-up at bedtime (in case of accidents overnight) then that may solve your problem.

BFN,

fp.
dog_cop

get your carpet here

Thank you

I think after reading all of the stories on here, I am now going against the idea of laminated flooring in the kids rooms lol
fanpages

Even if you impose a "no shoes" policy in their bedrooms to reduce noise … Even if you impose a "no shoes" policy in their bedrooms to reduce noise it then makes the environment unsafe (depending on the age of your kids) as laminate floors can be quite easy to slide on.We have had a "no food or drink" in bedrooms policy since we put the flooring down &, generally, they stick to that (rather than sticky food on the floor).As discussed, if you lay laminate & then have a mat or rug you can roll-up at bedtime (in case of accidents overnight) then that may solve your problem.BFN,fp.

me and miss lego have a "no clothes policy" in our bedroom fnar fnar
dog_cop

you of to some shaking and vac-ing with Mrs fp this afternoon

My partner & our kids are on holiday for the next six days. I have our laminate-walking noisy-clawed dogs to keep me company.

No shake'n'vac required; we don't have carpet laid anywhere

BFN,

fp.
dog_cop

me and miss lego have a "no clothes policy" in our bedroom fnar fnar

Do you keep them in another room then?
fanpages

yes that's in the "other " room, which is covered * by a separate "policy"

* did you see what I did there
dog_cop

me and miss lego have a "no clothes policy" in our bedroom fnar fnar … me and miss lego have a "no clothes policy" in our bedroom fnar fnar

fanpages

dog_cop

yes that's in the "other " room, which is covered * by a separate … yes that's in the "other " room, which is covered * by a separate "policy" * did you see what I did there

I preferred the real punchline to the Mexican Peeping Tom joke

BFN,

fp.
Have you considered carpet tiles for the bedroom? I've just threw some down in my lounge, I think they look ok-ish and are very hard wearing.
(sorry for the small pic, took on my phone)

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab238/deek72uk/deekslounge.jpg

laminate all the way for a kids bedroom,no worrys about spillages,dustmies etc and the amount of bacteria a carpet holds would give you the bolk.

RFC

laminate all the way for a kids bedroom,no worrys about … laminate all the way for a kids bedroom,no worrys about spillages,dustmies etc and the amount of bacteria a carpet holds would give you the bolk.

bahh.. flotex /thread
RFC

laminate all the way for a kids bedroom,no worrys about … laminate all the way for a kids bedroom,no worrys about spillages,dustmies etc and the amount of bacteria a carpet holds would give you the bolk.

I agree with that part ^^^^^ but also agree with the noise aspect , we have it in our kids bedrooms and it sounds like a heard of elephants are up stairs , and god the racket when you have a 7yr old throwing action men, power rangers round the room whilst playing !!!
moob

Even with a good underlay, you will still hear the kids more with … Even with a good underlay, you will still hear the kids more with laminate than you did with carpet.I'd give it some more thought.

Agree with this. Laminate flooring is very cold too.
Went Carpet looking instead of flooring. Swaying that way now. Just need to talk husband into forking out £250 oO
tallpete33

Agree with this. Laminate flooring is very cold too.

only of you have a cold house!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants