Can anyone recommend a humidifier for someone suffering from eczema

Found 16th Dec 2015
Any advice greatly appreciated, eczema has took a turn for the worse now we are back in winter.

11 Comments

Are you sure its related to the lack of humidity?
If anything its more humid in winter.

Original Poster

A number of websites state eczema gets worse in winter due to central heating which dries the air out and they recommend buying a humidifier to put more moisture into the air.

jpoolfitz

A number of websites state eczema gets worse in winter due to central … A number of websites state eczema gets worse in winter due to central heating which dries the air out and they recommend buying a humidifier to put more moisture into the air.

Was this a US website?

My wife is a doctor and I have suffered from eczema for years and posted a few bits on here in various replies.

UK homes tend to become damper in winter, most of us have radiator central heating which does not dry the air. Airflow is reduced and moisture is retained in the home, that's why illnesses which are passed on through droplets are rife and effect us so quickly, colds for example.

Its often the coldness outside that lends to your hands for example getting drier b/c you do not sweat or release as much natural oil and hence the cracking begins.

Edited by: "groenleader" 16th Dec 2015

Like others have said I'd actually recommend a dehumidifier to get rid of any damp. I'm a sufferer too & it helps a lot. I just use a very basic one we bought in B&Q or Homebase probably about 3/4 years ago. It's done the trick so far.

I'd also recommend staying clear of products containing SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) which can dry the skin really badly for eczema sufferers.

Original Poster

groenleader which treatments have you found best for eczema? I am sure you have some good remedies which many may not be aware of given your wifes a doctor.

I use a Dyson AM10 humidifier, helps keeps the ambiant humidity to a comfortable level.

https://www.gemrockauctions.com/learn/holistic-gemstone-information/himalayan-salt-lamp-benefits

Himalayan salt lamp can be bought cheaply and may have health benefits.

dry some clothes over a radiator?

jpoolfitz

groenleader which treatments have you found best for eczema? I am sure … groenleader which treatments have you found best for eczema? I am sure you have some good remedies which many may not be aware of given your wifes a doctor.

One thing for anyone buying a humidifier in the UK, get a hygrometer! It wont cost you the earth and you can see if you are need more humidity! Obviously if you home is really dry its a good idea, if it isn't introducing excess moisture will cause all sorts excess havoc.

Different skins will respond differently to different eczema treatments but things that I have found that really help.

I don't shower everyday, this has saved the backs of knees, back of my necks, elbows, and generally itchy irritation all over. Exceptions of course, I shower every other day or there abouts and when I do I use a mild shower wash. Right now I have Palmers Coco Butter for Men shower product. Molton Brown products are pretty skin safe too, but not that friendly on the wallet. Post shower I moisturise again using Palmers for men, its seems decent, I don't put it on my face.

I use a traditional razor and pre-shave cream from Proraso from their sensitive range. For the shave cream I use Proraso sensitive shaving soap (white container). Buying DE razor, means you can view them all and choose a gentle shaving head, I don't loose lots of skin and do get a good shave. I also switch around and use Claus Porto shaving creams, they are really gentle as well.

I always pre-wash and post wash with a mild soap. A decent facial moisturiser (a little goes a long way) is the Baxter of California. I use all their face products, soap, cleanser and moisturise. The moisturiser is made for men, does not contain oil. It hydrates and most of protects against moisture loss.

I don't expose myself to detergents by using washing up gloves. This products deterg-oils from dishes etc, they do the same to your hands!

No matter how much moisturiser you use, if the skin is white and coming off then it the moisturiser will not penetrate. The skin is dead, it cant be rehydrated and it wont pass through to the skin below. You will need a product with some "cut" ie. ability to remove dead skin and hydrate below.

Doublebase gel is great for getting mild eczema under control, then manage with moisturiser. I use palmers for men.

If its super bad and you are peeling and cracking deeply then you might need a hydrocortisone cream. You can get this (it comes in various degrees of cut) from your doctor, use it sparingly, once you have control of your skin, use moisturiser!

Norwegian formula creams are great barriers to apply when your hands (or other areas prone to problems). They are long lasting so effectively lock away the skin of the elements preventing future moisture loss.

Could you have a vitamin E allergy? That can cause eczema to become worse. Vitamin E is added to a lot of shop moisturisers but if your intolerant which a lot of people are it cause the redness to become worse and itching to increase.

I hope that helps! Anything specific I can ask the wife!

E45 is great if you are super itchy as a relief product. Its not an answer for eczema and will actually aggravate it. It was advised by doctors for years to be used for eczema the advice has now changed, its a good to use as a mild soap though.

As someone else mentioned washing powders etc. all contain possible issue. I have use the Fairy branded softener, its got some seals of approval and it works fine for me. its about £3 for a litre and half at sainsburys right now.

Dealing with my skin is not cheap and some of the products I use like the Baxter's are more expensive choices then maybe they need to be.

Simply put chemicals that are cheaper can irritate sensitive skin so to get products without the irritants costs more produce and we have to bear that costs.

Edited by: "groenleader" 16th Dec 2015

Have you tried calendula cream, it's supposed to be very good for dry and inflamed skin
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants