Found 20th Jul 2009
I'm wanting to buy a netbook for my son. However the choice is bewildering. Can anyone give me any advice please? I have a budget of approx £350 but would be happier to spend less!

Can anyone explain the difference between a hard drive and an SSD drive?

18 Comments

SSD is solid state, HDD has working parts. Not all SSDs are great, some faster than others.
I would recommend the Acer Aspire One A150, just the right compromise between size and speed and price.

I bought my wife the Samsung NC10 and it is really brilliant - XP with 160Gb HDD.

The difference between the HDD and SSD is size and mainly that the SSD has no moving parts unlike the HDD which has a spinning disc where the data is stored

Also SSD = less noise, heat and power consumption.

I just bought the wife an acer d150b from cdsiscount for £249.99

great little netbook, 1GB ram, 160gb hdd, windows xp installed.

cdiscount.co.uk/Com…tml

There is now a larger screen 12" with the NC20. Great machines, easy to upgrade memory and runs Windows 7 better than XP!

On the SSD vs HDD, since the SSD is typically 8GB - 16Gb vs 120-160GB it tends to have a flavour of Linux on it rather than XP. But you could put XP on the SSD if you wanted

BTW Acers are also good - best way is to do the circuit of PCWorld, Comet and try them. They do take a little getting used to.

Also allow about £50 for an external DVD Drive (I bought my wife a Buffalo which is powered from the USB and reads and burns juts about everything)

SSDs are lighter weight and quieter and if you get a decent one lower power and faster as well. On a netbook they're a far better choice than an HDD unless you want to use it as a portable movie/TV player.

My advice would be to go for something that's as small and as light as possible while still retaining good battery life (5 hours minimum, 8 would be nice). Avoid anything with a screen resolution lower than 1024x600. Oh, and check the reviews to make sure it's got good speakers.

EndlessWaves;5801647

SSDs are lighter weight and quieter and if you get a decent one lower … SSDs are lighter weight and quieter and if you get a decent one lower power and faster as well. On a netbook they're a far better choice than an HDD unless you want to use it as a portable movie/TV player.My advice would be to go for something that's as small and as light as possible while still retaining good battery life (5 hours minimum, 8 would be nice). Avoid anything with a screen resolution lower than 1024x600. Oh, and check the reviews to make sure it's got good speakers.

Yeah, the A150 has 1024x600. £150 for the netbook, £50 for an 8hr battery and £40ish for an external drive. Add a nice carry case for it. £260 and you are sorted with the complete kit
Add on an optional wireless mouse and/or 8gb class 6 SD card as per your preference.

I also have the samsung NC10 and I think it is brilliant one of the best netbooks for the money

The NC10 is great if it's a mega battery you need - if not then the MSI Wind clones might be better.

If he's using the netbook properly - i.e. a small, mobile, lightweight mobile PC for going on the internet then SSD's rock, however if he wants a laptop and you want something cheap and think a netbook is the same thing then an HDD is a better choice.

FWIW I'm typing this from my NC10, sitting in the GF's garden watching her clean my car and with my battery at 93% and full backlight it's still showing i've got 5 hours battery life left...

EDIT - And you don't need a CD ROM drive. I only used mine once to re-install the OS, and even then I could of used the recovery partition had I not of deleted it...

Original Poster

Thanks everyone. That's been really helpful. I will do a round of PC world etc and then see what deals I can get via HUKD. Can anyone tell me what advantages the A150 has over the NC10 and vice-versa?

NC10 - Epic battery, biggest keyboard (by not much).

Acer - price. Bigger trackpad (slightly - the NC10 has a small one, but you get used to it quickly...)

bargaincrazy.com/epa…01S

I no idea about computers and stuff but just pointing this out for under £100,obviosuly I don't understand specs too much so you might be after something that does more.
Oh hold on thats note book,not net book,misread.

The first thing you will probably do is put XP on the A150, so the low price subsidises the price of an external drive. It more than comfortably runs XP SP3 with it's 1.6ghz processor. It does struggle with things like Second Life though, 8mb graphics is OK but would be better with 32mb or more

Original Poster

Thanks Jakg that helps. Also thanks to mumtoconnor&cerys - I think I need something with a bit more oomph than this but thanks for pointing it out.

Dell mini series is also excellent, I have. 12" one for sale lol

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5803014

http://www.bargaincrazy.com/epages/BargainCrazy.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BargainCrazy/Products/F040149T/SubProducts/F040149T01SI no idea about computers and stuff but just pointing this out for under £100,obviosuly I don't understand specs too much so you might be after something that does more.Oh hold on thats note book,not net book,misread.

It is a netbook, but it's significantly less capable than most due to the non-X86 processor meaning program support is pretty poor and it doesn't even support the basics like flash.

If you're going to use it enough that disk drives, good keyboards and similar are important then you might want to consider going for a proper ultraportable instead.

EndlessWaves;5804475

It is a netbook, but it's significantly less capable than most due to the … It is a netbook, but it's significantly less capable than most due to the non-X86 processor meaning program support is pretty poor and it doesn't even support the basics like flash.If you're going to use it enough that disk drives, good keyboards and similar are important then you might want to consider going for a proper ultraportable instead.

I'd go as far as to say that at 400mhz it would even struggle with big websites! My phone runs faster than this does lol
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition68745
    2. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…22
    3. Win an unbelievable Windows Mixed Reality prize pack from Windows Central! …43
    4. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines43

See more discussions