Can anyone recommend a router to connect to my Virgin Media Hub 3?

Looking for something to replace my Media Hub 3 as connection drop outs in most other rooms and am only in a 3 bedroom house! Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ashley

12 Comments

Mines exactly the same

could try dropping the 5 bandwidth, force everything through the 2.4 (2.4 travels further than 5 but slower in simple terms). log into your router and should be in wifi settings. if that doesnt work there is an asus range (asus rtxxxx) which has very good reviews, listed on amazon. or better yet put in some proper APs, unifi uap £60 ish, or the uap-pro £120 ish which we find very good, have 3 in loft fed directly from router which is set in model only mode (VM).

I use Netgear PLW1000 to extend the WiFi to other floor. It is a pair of powerline adapters, plug the non-wifi one next to the router and the WiFi one on a different floor. so far so good, much better than the standard-alone WiFi extender.
Another option would be buying a much better WiFi router, that is more expensive, but simpler.

If it's just wifi issues you could just buy the little plugins repeaters they're available for under £20 each, they just plug into a mains socket you set them up with the SSID & password for your wireless & away they go.

It might be cheaper buying a couple of them rather than buying a cable router which may or may not fix the issue.

If you to spend money on a router I highly recommend a Fritzbox you'd want the 6490 version not only does it deal with Internet traffic bit also replaces your cordless phone base & acts as a virtual switchboard with call blocking, multiple address books, multiple voice mail boxes all kinds of stuff like that

I have the 7490 (VDSL version) & whilst the range of AC is fairly short the 2.4Ghz bands have a massive range even works when Im in the car in the car park some 500 yards from the house with no line of sight.

Argos sell a fair few wifi repeaters if you wanted to get one today

argos.co.uk/sea…er/
Edited by: "Rich44" 11th Dec 2016

Banned

Asus RT-AC68U, hub in modem mode. Never looked back. Wifi strong throughout the whole house, including garden, great parental control on individual products.
Edited by: "cchopps" 11th Dec 2016

Sadly, you cannot easily replace it, as your account is locked to the MAC number of the router, one of the above suggestions or hooking a better router to the VM unit and setting the VM in "Modem Only" mode.

Try the 2.4GHZ suggestion first, and also try it at different channel settings (1-11), avoiding 1 and 11 themselves (for technical reason), unless you can trick the device into giving you 12 & 13, in which case you can got to channel 12.

Try to avoid channels other people are using, so if neighbours are on 2, 3 & 7, try 5 or 9 first.

Surely if you have there hub 3 and it doesn't work complain.I have a hub 3 box on its way supposedly to make my wifi better.You shouldn't have to buy a router.

den169

Surely if you have there hub 3 and it doesn't work complain.I have a hub … Surely if you have there hub 3 and it doesn't work complain.I have a hub 3 box on its way supposedly to make my wifi better.You shouldn't have to buy a router.

Regardless of which router you have, there will be times where your router (or your neighbours') will use the same/overlapping channels which causing wifi connections to drop out.
Using only the 5GHz band helps a lot as there are no overlapping channels. However, it covers a smaller area of the home compared to the 2.4GHz band.

Rich44

If it's just wifi issues you could just buy the little plugins repeaters … If it's just wifi issues you could just buy the little plugins repeaters they're available for under £20 each, they just plug into a mains socket you set them up with the SSID & password for your wireless & away they go. It might be cheaper buying a couple of them rather than buying a cable router which may or may not fix the issue. If you to spend money on a router I highly recommend a Fritzbox you'd want the 6490 version not only does it deal with Internet traffic bit also replaces your cordless phone base & acts as a virtual switchboard with call blocking, multiple address books, multiple voice mail boxes all kinds of stuff like thatI have the 7490 (VDSL version) & whilst the range of AC is fairly short the 2.4Ghz bands have a massive range even works when Im in the car in the car park some 500 yards from the house with no line of sight.Argos sell a fair few wifi repeaters if you wanted to get one todayhttp://www.argos.co.uk/search/wifi-extender/

No-one should ever touch repeaters as they are a complete and utter con. What they don't tell you is that the way repeaters work is it reduces the available bandwidth on the whole network by half. You could be standing beside your router and you would only get half the speed you got before. And in most cases its impossible to place a repeater in the ideal position as well so intact you end up getting even less the half the speed when you go through the repeater.

People are better off either running a cable to another router/ap located closer to where they need to extend coverage or if thats not viable using Homeplugs rather than an ethernet cable to do the same thing (home plugs have very high overheads but you will be better off than going the repeater route)

Hub 3 sucks, I called and got sent a V2, much better

ASUS N66U does the job perfectly.

I changed back to the hub 2 due to many problems.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Does the app aznog still work?22
    2. Best Custom ROM for XIaomi Redmi Note 233
    3. Virgin Media TV67
    4. Samsung 4k TVs which one 49/55inch curved? £1.50023

See more discussions