Can anyone recommend a satnav please?

Found 8th Aug
My mum has put me in charge of finding a great deal on a satnav, so that she can buy him 1 for Christmas. Has anyone seen any good deals please?
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
You ask just a few days after my Tomtom died and their only solution was for me to spend more money with them because my current one has a well documented hardware problem but they refuse to replace or repair it. Support acknowledge it's a known hardware problem. And they refuse to refund, even partially, the traffic and maps subscription which has run 8 to fits 18 month life.

Tomtom is Dutch and has always had the slightly arrogant, iffy customer service that the Dutch cling to. I speak as someone who worked there for many years. If you like iffy customer service from an Indian call centre, go buy a Tomtom.

Since it died, I have been using Google maps on my phone. Its something that never really felt right but now I have been forced into it, I find it fast, accurate and FREE. Nothing about it to dislike.
ccnp32 m ago

You ask just a few days after my Tomtom died and their only solution was …You ask just a few days after my Tomtom died and their only solution was for me to spend more money with them because my current one has a well documented hardware problem but they refuse to replace or repair it. Support acknowledge it's a known hardware problem. And they refuse to refund, even partially, the traffic and maps subscription which has run 8 to fits 18 month life. Tomtom is Dutch and has always had the slightly arrogant, iffy customer service that the Dutch cling to. I speak as someone who worked there for many years. If you like iffy customer service from an Indian call centre, go buy a Tomtom.Since it died, I have been using Google maps on my phone. Its something that never really felt right but now I have been forced into it, I find it fast, accurate and FREE. Nothing about it to dislike.

Thank you, but my parents are in their 70's & their mobile phones are extremely basic & can just about make a phone call!!
Could you try to teach them how to use the voice function on google to find destinations and use the map.
Iv always had tomtom as I found it easy to use and got free maps for life. But recently with our new car we have android auto and use waze which I'm really liking.
Tbh I'd use your phone Google maps it doesn't cost you anything and is updated all the time free . That's what I use with no issues at all just get a charger for car and a phone holder if you have Bluetooth in car it will come through your speakers aswell so directs you to where you are going without having to look at the screen all the time. Even if you have a spare phone that you not using use that for Google maps ? If u don't have much internet on u phone contract u can download your destination at home before you leave, Hope this helps 🏻x
get any cheap android phone (even used one) you can easily get something like Nexus 5x for 60-70quid which will be more than adequate for what is needed
download either Waze or Google maps
get android auto app
get a Three free sim with 200mb of data/month

total cost and features beat any tom tom, mike mike, dave dave any day
Edited by: "mattsk" 8th Aug
Have to agree with using Google maps. I've only been driving for a year and a half and used Google maps on my phone when we went on our holidays in York last year and Norfolk this year. I have Sat Nav built into my ford focus and find Google maps superior in every way. Easier to use and follow.
This year my my wife's mum, dad, sister and niece came with us as we booked a holiday house. My father-in-law used his Sat Nav built into his ford galaxy and also used his Garmin sat nav for the same reason that fords sat nav is garbage.
To put things into perspective, each time we went away on day trips here there and everywhere, I always ended up there before him as Google was guiding me to avoid traffic etc. On a few occasions he said that his sat nav was telling him to turn when there was no roads to turn ?!
Google maps is the most up-to-date information and in my case it was flawless. His sat nav relies on postcode Info and on quite a few occasions would only navigate to a rough area.
I showed him how to use the maps on his phone and how he can simply say "take me to X,Y,Z" and he was quite amazed at how simple it is to use to the point where he was talking about looking for a phone mount for his car. He is 72.
Possibly upgrading his smartphone and teaching him how to use Google maps is likely to be your best option surely ? No subscription needed and the most up-to-date information can't be beaten
Edited by: "GrumpyJo" 8th Aug
I've used a Garmin, Ford Sat Nav and now google Maps connected to my car touch screen with Android Auto, The latter is by far the best for accuracy and traffic.Just need to work out how to add speed camera alerts and I'm sorted
I've always had great experiences with Garmin, so when I was looking to buy one last year, I opted for a mid range Garmin, expecting it to be better than the cheap one I had previously used. Absolute garbage! there is no "prefer main roads" option on it like they used to have, resulting in it usually opting to take a singletrack road instead of the main road which runs parallel to it, it doesn't seem to realise that any mini roundabout in the UK exists at all, and half the time when it suggest a different route due to traffic congestion it proceeds to change it's mind immediately after I've deviated from my previous route!
Google maps on my phone however is brilliant. Here maps on my previous Nokia Windows phones was even better, but alas Windows phone is dead!
Brought a TomTom Go 6100 nearly a year ago, it's always been a bit slow to navigate around and from a cold boot to start up except when put in sleep mode

After navigating through the menus to put your destination in, always has worked for me 100%, very big screen to see clearly, bright colours, very loud speaker, lane assist, SIM card built in so no extra fees for live traffic and updates, can avoid toll roads etc... Still to this day gets quarterly map updates and often system updates which imo made a big difference from when I've first brought it. Also gets regular map corrections.

Used daily for about 4 hours up until 3 months ago because don't need it anymore but will need it again around end of the year again. Lane guidance helps on new routes with loud and clear instructions (although your own road sense and knowledge is required too when picking lanes and exits btw)

Can't go wrong mate, comes with a car charger, instructions and long enough usb cable as well as dock which mounts on the windscreen. Does have voice commands, only used them once I just tap the screen when a quicker route comes up so I can take it or ignore it

I've heard the TomTom Go 6200 which is the newer one had WiFi so updates ota I think is much much more smoother so worth having a look at. If the 6 inch is too big then the 5100/5200/ version is available which is a 5 inch screen.

The 5100 5200 6100 6200 models don't need a SIM card as there's already one inside to provide with traffic and quicker routes which pop up as you drive
and no need to tether from a phone and all that nonsense. Just turn on, destination in and off you go with live updates and an always up to date map (as long as you update that yourself).

Worth picking up a screen protector and a case from ebay if you get one, I definitely would

@plymouthgal hope this helps
Edited by: "TheUser123" 8th Aug
adamderak7 h, 23 m ago

Could you try to teach them how to use the voice function on google to …Could you try to teach them how to use the voice function on google to find destinations and use the map.

No chance, they won't even learn how to text!! My mum's mobile is 1 for elderly people, with no smart features & huge buttons
Buy him a smart phone instead and show him google maps. Get him a phone holder to stick it to the screen.
TheUser1235 h, 1 m ago

Brought a TomTom Go 6100 nearly a year ago, it's always been a bit slow to …Brought a TomTom Go 6100 nearly a year ago, it's always been a bit slow to navigate around and from a cold boot to start up except when put in sleep modeAfter navigating through the menus to put your destination in, always has worked for me 100%, very big screen to see clearly, bright colours, very loud speaker, lane assist, SIM card built in so no extra fees for live traffic and updates, can avoid toll roads etc... Still to this day gets quarterly map updates and often system updates which imo made a big difference from when I've first brought it. Also gets regular map corrections.Used daily for about 4 hours up until 3 months ago because don't need it anymore but will need it again around end of the year again. Lane guidance helps on new routes with loud and clear instructions (although your own road sense and knowledge is required too when picking lanes and exits btw)Can't go wrong mate, comes with a car charger, instructions and long enough usb cable as well as dock which mounts on the windscreen. Does have voice commands, only used them once I just tap the screen when a quicker route comes up so I can take it or ignore itI've heard the TomTom Go 6200 which is the newer one had WiFi so updates ota I think is much much more smoother so worth having a look at. If the 6 inch is too big then the 5100/5200/ version is available which is a 5 inch screen.The 5100 5200 6100 6200 models don't need a SIM card as there's already one inside to provide with traffic and quicker routes which pop up as you drive and no need to tether from a phone and all that nonsense. Just turn on, destination in and off you go with live updates and an always up to date map (as long as you update that yourself).Worth picking up a screen protector and a case from ebay if you get one, I definitely would@plymouthgal hope this helps

cost of tomtom x100 250-300 quid, literally cannot see how people justify such obsolete purchase.

plymouthgal4 h, 59 m ago

No chance, they won't even learn how to text!! My mum's mobile is 1 for …No chance, they won't even learn how to text!! My mum's mobile is 1 for elderly people, with no smart features & huge buttons

if they cant text a sat nav is defo out of the question
TheUser1236 h, 3 m ago

Brought a TomTom Go 6100 nearly a year ago, it's always been a bit slow to …Brought a TomTom Go 6100 nearly a year ago, it's always been a bit slow to navigate around and from a cold boot to start up except when put in sleep modeAfter navigating through the menus to put your destination in, always has worked for me 100%, very big screen to see clearly, bright colours, very loud speaker, lane assist, SIM card built in so no extra fees for live traffic and updates, can avoid toll roads etc... Still to this day gets quarterly map updates and often system updates which imo made a big difference from when I've first brought it. Also gets regular map corrections.Used daily for about 4 hours up until 3 months ago because don't need it anymore but will need it again around end of the year again. Lane guidance helps on new routes with loud and clear instructions (although your own road sense and knowledge is required too when picking lanes and exits btw)Can't go wrong mate, comes with a car charger, instructions and long enough usb cable as well as dock which mounts on the windscreen. Does have voice commands, only used them once I just tap the screen when a quicker route comes up so I can take it or ignore itI've heard the TomTom Go 6200 which is the newer one had WiFi so updates ota I think is much much more smoother so worth having a look at. If the 6 inch is too big then the 5100/5200/ version is available which is a 5 inch screen.The 5100 5200 6100 6200 models don't need a SIM card as there's already one inside to provide with traffic and quicker routes which pop up as you drive and no need to tether from a phone and all that nonsense. Just turn on, destination in and off you go with live updates and an always up to date map (as long as you update that yourself).Worth picking up a screen protector and a case from ebay if you get one, I definitely would@plymouthgal hope this helps

Thanks so much for going to the trouble of a very detailed reply, much appreciated
mattsk1 h, 15 m ago

cost of tomtom x100 250-300 quid, literally cannot see how people justify …cost of tomtom x100 250-300 quid, literally cannot see how people justify such obsolete purchase.if they cant text a sat nav is defo out of the question

Sometimes a dedicated device is preferred than faffing around with an extra phone or apps. Google maps are certainly not the best nor is Waze, here maps are alright but we've been using a TomTom device for about 9 years or so quite often as well.

I'm not the only user of my TomTom and the other users in my family including myself actually prefer having a dedicated device that you don't have to worry about using your phone so make sure it stays charged, using data so have to keep it topped up, updates which may slow the phone down or break. Literally no hassle; sit in the car, dock it in drive, off the dock, back in its case, the end - until you next need it.

Only time mine is ever used at home is for the lifetime updates quarterly or every 2 or 3 weeks to check for updates which the TomTom desktop app tells you without plugging it in so you can see if you want to or not.

There's lots of reasons and at the end of the day if it benefits you in a positive and helpful way then it's worth it.

Yes sometimes they are a bit expensive but a bit of deal spotting, discounts etc is worth it or even buying for the full price if it's something which will take stress and hassle of driving / going to new destinations.
TheUser1239 h, 31 m ago

Sometimes a dedicated device is preferred than faffing around with an …Sometimes a dedicated device is preferred than faffing around with an extra phone or apps. Google maps are certainly not the best nor is Waze, here maps are alright but we've been using a TomTom device for about 9 years or so quite often as well.I'm not the only user of my TomTom and the other users in my family including myself actually prefer having a dedicated device that you don't have to worry about using your phone so make sure it stays charged, using data so have to keep it topped up, updates which may slow the phone down or break. Literally no hassle; sit in the car, dock it in drive, off the dock, back in its case, the end - until you next need it.Only time mine is ever used at home is for the lifetime updates quarterly or every 2 or 3 weeks to check for updates which the TomTom desktop app tells you without plugging it in so you can see if you want to or not.There's lots of reasons and at the end of the day if it benefits you in a positive and helpful way then it's worth it. Yes sometimes they are a bit expensive but a bit of deal spotting, discounts etc is worth it or even buying for the full price if it's something which will take stress and hassle of driving / going to new destinations.

your point is completely invalid since more than 85% of UK population has a smartphone. Having a dedicated sat nav is faffing with an extra device lol
so having a dedicated device means that you not only have to charge your phone in a car (if you are listening to music etc) but you have to find another lighter port to plug in a sat nav and in many cases a dash cam as well
then you have a visible satnav holder indicating to thieves that the device is in your glovebox since hardly anyone is taking it out of the car

I have never heard of a map update braking a phone, you are literally coming up with insane ideas to defend your purchase.
Data? google maps can preload maps, there are navigation apps that can store the whole world mapping on the phone, apps like Waze etc use max 300mb of data a month (provided you do more than 600miles a week like me)

no matter how you defend your tomtom you are still paying for service that Waze/Google/HERE provides for FREE
Edited by: "mattsk" 9th Aug
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants