Groups

Can anyone recommend a simple database for a small shop?

Evening all.

OH needs a simple database for his computer repair shop where you can put things like customer details, enquiries, sales, etc.

Is there a way to get one for free? Such as a program to download or something (preferably not one where you have to make it from scratch)

I have had a look round Google but can't find something which sounds like what we're after

Would be much appreciated, thanks

21 Comments

what's up with an excel spreadsheet ?

Failing that, micrsosoft excel ??

access, not excel

Banned

access database is the way to go i think.

access have templates already set up for these purposes

PM thestain he is the expert on databases

bleedin edit farce

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT010211577.aspx#ai:TC010206878|

Banned

Your husband should quit the computer business if he's getting his wife to ask such questions on a shopping forum...

master_chief1 person likes this

Your husband should quit the computer business if he's getting his wife … Your husband should quit the computer business if he's getting his wife to ask such questions on a shopping forum...

Yup

Banned

Fully relational database running on a medium-sized web farm running Microsoft SQL Server 2008. Incremental backups and prune the transaction log say.. weekly?

Your husband should quit the computer business if he's getting his wife … Your husband should quit the computer business if he's getting his wife to ask such questions on a shopping forum...

lol just what i thought.
    How can anyone run a computer shop and not be able to find out something as easy

Banned

haha, very good point

SQL Server express (free) and knock a v.quick front end up using vb.net express (free).

lot more robust than Access

Original Poster

Thanks everyone, appreciate your suggestions.

Just because someone can repair all kinds of computer problems, does not neccessarily mean they have to be clued up on which is the best database to use, same way that someone who can make computer programs may not know how to repair hardware problems

Was just after suggestions oO

Edited by: "Mrs.Z" 1st Oct 2010

Mrs.Z

Thanks everyone, appreciate your suggestions. :)Just because someone can … Thanks everyone, appreciate your suggestions. :)Just because someone can repair all kinds of computer problems, does not neccessarily mean they have to be clued up on which is the best database to use, same way that someone who can make computer programs may not know how to repair hardware problemsWas just after suggestions oO

Think what people are getting at is, if hes supposedly able to repair the vast range of faults on a pc which even the best engineers have to consult google at times etc, then he would know how to google or search a tech forum for a database proggy, rather than his missus asking on a shopping site?:p

Or is it one of them 'check my husbands new venture out' posts? if so just say
    Edited by: "kungfu" 1st Oct 2010

Mrs.Z

Thanks everyone, appreciate your suggestions. :)Just because someone can … Thanks everyone, appreciate your suggestions. :)Just because someone can repair all kinds of computer problems, does not neccessarily mean they have to be clued up on which is the best database to use, same way that someone who can make computer programs may not know how to repair hardware problemsWas just after suggestions oO

Sorry, I thought the title was "simple database", not "best database". My mistake.

epic fail

Mrs.Z

Hi,

It doesnt long like a big job...if you want to pm me what exactly he wants from the database...i might be able to do create it for you!

Mrs Z I can whole heartedly recommend spiceworks for this job as well as many other tasks your like to use, such as asset management, ordering, customer database etc.

Try it, it's free, simply download and put on to a windows box.

It is designed as a helpdesk management tool, but it works for so much more.

Use moneydance for financial, brilliant as we are using it. You can either pay or get it for free lol...

Original Poster

kungfu

Think what people are getting at is, if hes supposedly able to repair the … Think what people are getting at is, if hes supposedly able to repair the vast range of faults on a pc which even the best engineers have to consult google at times etc, then he would know how to google or search a tech forum for a database proggy, rather than his missus asking on a shopping site?:pOr is it one of them 'check my husbands new venture out' posts? if so just say

Ohhhh, I get you - no he's just so busy I thought I would have a look for him to save him a job

Thanks a lot everyone, will have a look into them - and thank you so much for the offer Abz, I may well PM you if I can find out from OH what he wants on there.

Original Poster

Alfonse

epic fail

Epically lame post
    Edited by: "Mrs.Z" 1st Oct 2010
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3988
      2. That’s Life Magazine Issue 33 ends 28th August2626
      3. Free JackpotJoy Plate44