Groups

Can anyone recommend a war novel to me???

Hi all

I am looking for an interesting war novel for me to read + research for my English coursework. I need to choose 2 novels however, i have already chosen "A Thousand Splendid Suns" By Khaled Hosseini.

So I need 1 more. Anyone know any good ones???

21 Comments

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/virginiajamaica/dick%20and%20jane/Dick.jpg

well im just about to start Tolstoy's War and Peace, it's hefty, at my pace should be done in 2020

Original Poster

sashicee;7405903

well im just about to start Tolstoy's War and Peace, it's hefty, at my … well im just about to start Tolstoy's War and Peace, it's hefty, at my pace should be done in 2020

haha no chance im reading that

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
    Regeneration by Pat Barker
    Journey's End by Robert Sheriff (a Play)

Original Poster

MoneySavingG;7405932

Birdsong by Sebastian FaulksRegeneration by Pat BarkerJourney's End by … Birdsong by Sebastian FaulksRegeneration by Pat BarkerJourney's End by Robert Sheriff (a Play)

I have read The Ghost Road by Pat Barker and didn't enjoy it much. Have you read all 3 books from the series and is regeneration better than the ghost road?

Thanks

CFC_Mark;7405980

I have read The Ghost Road by Pat Barker and didn't enjoy it much. Have … I have read The Ghost Road by Pat Barker and didn't enjoy it much. Have you read all 3 books from the series and is regeneration better than the ghost road?Thanks

I haven't read any other of the novels in the series, sorry. Maybe you didn't get on with Ghost road because you read it out of sequence?
    Birdsong was a really good read as far as I can remember, well worth considering.

Original Poster

MoneySavingG;7406027

I haven't read any other of the novels in the series, sorry. Maybe you … I haven't read any other of the novels in the series, sorry. Maybe you didn't get on with Ghost road because you read it out of sequence? Birdsong was a really good read as far as I can remember, well worth considering.

Alright Mate. Cheers for the help :thumbsup:

Night by Elie Wiesel is supposed to be good. 'Tis about a family being transported to Auschwitz.
    Depends on what your question is - I too am an A2 English Literature student.

Original Poster

Jonnyisonfire;7406095

Night by Elie Wiesel is supposed to be good. 'Tis about a family being … Night by Elie Wiesel is supposed to be good. 'Tis about a family being transported to Auschwitz.Depends on what your question is - I too am an A2 English Literature student.

That sounds like the type of book I am looking for actually :thumbsup:

Have you decided on which books you will be using for your coursework yet?

Brother in the land

How close to war does the book need to be?

Boy in The Striped Pyjama's

CFC_Mark;7406117

That sounds like the type of book I am looking for actually … That sounds like the type of book I am looking for actually :thumbsup:Have you decided on which books you will be using for your coursework yet?

OH we've already written our coursework, I chose death as a theme with Shakespeare's Hamlet and Sylvia Plath's poetry collection Ariel as the set literary topics, and I chose The Lovely Bones which features the rape and subsequent death of a fourteen year old girl. I will get it back on monday haa.

My exam topic is "love through the ages" - we have to do some Nordic play called A Doll's House and Enduring Love by Ian McKellen - I'm not sure what I want to do for my own choice, possibly Dante's Inferno.

Original Poster

Murielson;7406187

How close to war does the book need to be?Boy in The Striped Pyjama's

I dont think it has to be directly linked to war seeing as we read The Kite Runner (Amazing!!!) earlier in the year

Jonnyisonfire;7406194

OH we've already written our coursework, I chose death as a theme with … OH we've already written our coursework, I chose death as a theme with Shakespeare's Hamlet and Sylvia Plath's poetry collection Ariel as the set literary topics, and I chose The Lovely Bones which features the rape and subsequent death of a fourteen year old girl. I will get it back on monday haa.My exam topic is "love through the ages" - we have to do some Nordic play called A Doll's House and Enduring Love by Ian McKellen - I'm not sure what I want to do for my own choice, possibly Dante's Inferno.

I did Hamlet last year for AS so maybe I am studying a seperate module to you Thanks for the help though. Repped

http://sebald.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/ballard-empire-of-the-sun.jpg

Empire of the Sun?

CFC_Mark;7406262

I dont think it has to be directly linked to war seeing as we read The … I dont think it has to be directly linked to war seeing as we read The Kite Runner (Amazing!!!) earlier in the yearI did Hamlet last year for AS so maybe I am studying a seperate module to you Thanks for the help though. Repped

Hmm most probably though the teachers had the choice of war at the start of the year. I'd rather have done that to be honest.
    And ohty haha

I don't know if it counts but I remember Carrie's War being a brilliant read. Best wishes. X.

Catch 22 - set during WW2 - although its more about human character than the war. Alternatively Schindlers List.............

If you are wanting something a bit less weighty - HMS Ullysses by Alastair MacLean is the finest WW2 novel I've ever read.........

Any Sven Hassell books are relevant but Blitzfreeze is a real stormer. Books are regarding an SS Penal Batallion and show war from the German foot soldiers perspective.

Not really a novel more loads of short interviews with Vietnam Vets talking in their own words and none of the BS trying to find a meaning behind the horrors of war more about what happens when you give a 18 year old a gun and let him lose, "NAM" by Mark Baker is fantastic and worth a read even if you don't use it for your course.

Doc1978;7406407

Empire of the Sun?

love the film, haven't read book

All quiet on the western front?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2234
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846201
      3. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917266
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764296

See more discussions