Can Anyone Recommend an Estate Agent in Birmingham

18 replies
Found 16th May 2008
Putting my house on the market soon and looking to appoint an estate agent.
I have had 5 valuations and just need to choose which one will work the hardest.
The 5 estate agents are:-

Dixons.
Paul Carr.
Your Move.
Burchell Edwards
Bairstow Eves.

Has anyone used these people before?.
Opinions good or bad.

Thank you.

18 Comments

please steer clear from burchall edwards in my opinion. I know my friend brought from them and they started telling her other people were inetrested in the house she wanted and advised her to offer more money etc, when she spoke to the seller he confirmed this was untrue. i also requested info from them with regards to houses for sale and founf their whole customer service naff.

Dixons are very good and so are Green & co.
Dixons sold a property for me in 2 weeks and Green & co have just sold a house for me within 5 days, in this current market I was amazed!
I would also advise that you sell at a reasonable price, dont hold out for the top valuation, in the current climate you may be left waiting for quite a while.
Is the house you want to sell in the Great Barr area or nearby by any chance?

What approx price are you looking to market your house at ?

I would say that it is worth visiting/registering with the agents yourself before you choose, bear in mind people buy from people they like...if you get good service this is what your potential buyers should get....did you check fees with all of them....make sure they aren't trying to fix their fees ( a countrywide trick Bairstow Eves) also get quotes for your HIP & conveyancing before signing for add on services from your chosen agent...I cannot comment on who is best in your area...bear in mind Bairstow Eves nick name is ******* Thieves

Green and co are cheaper on fees than Dixons. You can get your HIP pack done independantly (regardless of what the agents say) I used a HIP guy in Sutton Coldfield, he is willing to travel for no extra fee and has been brilliant. He was the cheapest I could find at £230 all in. Pm me if you want his contact details.

Original Poster

This is excellent. Didn't know if I would get any help on this.
More would be appreciated.

The house is a 3 bed semi in the Erdington area and its on a good road. The valuations are all between £150 and £160k so I will be pitching it near the £155k but would expect to be knocked down 1 or 2k.

I have been around the estate agents but don't know which one to trust as they all talk the talk.

I work for a few landlords and propery developers. If you are in the north end of Brum i would recommend Green & co, closely followed by Dixons and Paul Carr. All 3 i have encountered over the years and they are all recommended.

Paul carr managed to shift a right 5hithole in erdington for a landlord friend of mine only last week. I think he had it for about a month.Barsted thieves had it for over 12 months and never bothered with it at all.

Roy

Can anyone recommend an estate agent anywhere?

Original Poster

keli;2111042

please steer clear from burchall edwards in my opinion. I know my friend … please steer clear from burchall edwards in my opinion. I know my friend brought from them and they started telling her other people were inetrested in the house she wanted and advised her to offer more money etc, when she spoke to the seller he confirmed this was untrue. i also requested info from them with regards to houses for sale and founf their whole customer service naff.

Which Burchell Edwards Branch was this?.

Where about in Birmingham?

Original Poster

Erdington.

If you are in Erdington then I would go with Green and co. Try haggling over the fees and don't use their HIP guy, the one I got independantly was over £150 cheaper than with anyone else.
I would also advise that you do whatever you can to make your house stand out, it can only take a couple of simple things like, new paint, new carpets, new door handles. Unclutter everything as best you can and get as much natural light in as possible.
Kitchens and bathrooms are the rooms that will sell most houses so really try to make these perfect.
I am a property developer, I tend to go for the people that dont talk all the sales babble, at the end of the day just tell them what you want and ask how they can go about achieving it for you.
I must admit the manager at our local dixons tried all the schmoozing on me and I ended up going with Green and co because their guy just gave me the facts and was straight talking.

Don't forget that you may be able to play the agents off against each other with regard to fees ... if yours is a good house & they think they will sell it reasonably easily, they will probably come down on whatever they quote you - check how long they are going to tie you in to a sole agent contract as well ...

Laffy42;2111485

Don't forget that you may be able to play the agents off against each … Don't forget that you may be able to play the agents off against each other with regard to fees ... if yours is a good house & they think they will sell it reasonably easily, they will probably come down on whatever they quote you - check how long they are going to tie you in to a sole agent contract as well ...

Some agents wii price match, but Dixons have a policy that they will not lower their fees, even if it means that they lose out on a sale.
Most agents can be persuaded to only tie you into a sole agency agreement for 6 - 8 weeks, so that's always worth a try.

Original Poster

caz1cool;2111535

Some agents wii price match, but Dixons have a policy that they will not … Some agents wii price match, but Dixons have a policy that they will not lower their fees, even if it means that they lose out on a sale.Most agents can be persuaded to only tie you into a sole agency agreement for 6 - 8 weeks, so that's always worth a try.

Dixons have so far agreed to 8 week sole agency and offered to pricematch at 1.5%. They are claiming to have someone interested in my road who's other sale had fallen through on our road. Expect this to be some kind of sales ploy to get me to sign with them.

wee_paul;2111623

Dixons have so far agreed to 8 week sole agency and offered to pricematch … Dixons have so far agreed to 8 week sole agency and offered to pricematch at 1.5%. They are claiming to have someone interested in my road who's other sale had fallen through on our road. Expect this to be some kind of sales ploy to get me to sign with them.

Probably, Dixons always come out with that.
I managed to get Green to agree to £1500 + vat fees and an 8 week sole agency agreement.
If you can get a good deal with Green and co go with them, although saying that Dixons aren't bad either.
Pm me if you need a good price for your HIP pack.

wee_paul;2111191

Which Burchell Edwards Branch was this?.

the one i was liaising with was marston green and my mates dealt with hall green one and solihull one, i think they are trained the same way which ever office they work for

I was with Paul Carr and Bairstow eves. I ended up selling with Bairstow eves in the Streetly branch. They were OK but nothing fantastic. Neither put my house in the local paper much.
If you are after a conveyancing company when you sell Conveyancing UK in Sutton were fantastic, very reasonable fees. Excellent service! So much so that I bought the assistant a box of chocolates for her help.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
  1. Spotify family22
  2. Gala Bingo/Games. Deposit £5 get £40 cashback. Quidco - new Gala members11
  3. Has the amount of Apple fanboys increased on the site after the redesign?11
  4. Urgent help needed with travel agent56

See more discussions