Can anyone recommend an indoor TV antenna please?

Posted 23rd Feb
Can anyone recommend an indoor TV antenna please?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
I’ve tried a few over the years & the best one I’ve found is this from Amazon.
amazon.co.uk/Out…h=1

Seems to give much better results than the cheap amplified “Oneforall” types - probably because it comes with a good length of proper thick shielded cable. (You can always add an amplifier if needed).
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 23rd Feb
I’ve got this & it works really well. Receive about 160 channels, digital & radio.
Edited by: "Zero.Chill" 23rd Feb
It's more dependant on how good the reception is in your area.
If it's bad than even an all singing dancing portable area will be useless.
adamderak23/02/2020 16:14

It's more dependant on how good the reception is in your area.If it's bad …It's more dependant on how good the reception is in your area.If it's bad than even an all singing dancing portable area will be useless.

Ditto!
Bad reception, the reason I changed to Freesat
I have had one of these for a few years now. Used it indoors to check quality (100% , absolutely brilliant) before fitting outdoors. Small, discrete and neat too.
Buy one from screwfix and check it works Ok for you, without damaging the packaging, but if it doesn't suit take it back.
Zero.Chill23/02/2020 16:09

I’ve got this & it works really well. Receive about 160 channels, digital & …I’ve got this & it works really well. Receive about 160 channels, digital & radio.

just had a look at this, do you just plug it in the back of your tele, and that’s it, done?
Mendoza24/02/2020 00:46

just had a look at this, do you just plug it in the back of your tele, and …just had a look at this, do you just plug it in the back of your tele, and that’s it, done?

I'd be weary, unless you know it's facing the transmitter
Mendoza24/02/2020 00:46

just had a look at this, do you just plug it in the back of your tele, and …just had a look at this, do you just plug it in the back of your tele, and that’s it, done?

It needs power, either a mains socket or usb. Both are supplied.
esar24/02/2020 01:13

I'd be weary, unless you know it's facing the transmitter

Without knowing what type of aerial design it's using you don't even know which direction the aerial is the most sensitive in.

If it's something like a small loop antenna then the flat faces would be the least sensitive direction and having it edge-on to the signal direction would be best.

But it's claiming to be an omni-directional aerial so it should be spreading it's sensitivity out over all directions and not picking up particularly badly (or particularly well) in any given direction.
captainbeaky23/02/2020 16:08

I’ve tried a few over the years & the best one I’ve found is this from Ama …I’ve tried a few over the years & the best one I’ve found is this from Amazon.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outdoor-Receiver-Freeview-Technology-Waterproof-White/dp/B01HD653WS/ref=sr_1_42?crid=2IU3CDL0PR6UZ&keywords=indoor%2Btv%2Bariel&qid=1582473330&sprefix=Indoor%2Btv%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-42&th=1Seems to give much better results than the cheap amplified “Oneforall” types - probably because it comes with a good length of proper thick shielded cable. (You can always add an amplifier if needed).

i have that one on my garage wall for the tv. Works perfectly.
Zero.Chill24/02/2020 01:23

It needs power, either a mains socket or usb. Both are supplied.

thank you
can I also ask, does it always have to be connected for the channels to work?

or can I use it to find the digital freeview channels, and they will work without it?

sorry for being stupid
Mendoza24/02/2020 17:34

thank you can I also ask, does it always have to be connected for the …thank you can I also ask, does it always have to be connected for the channels to work?or can I use it to find the digital freeview channels, and they will work without it?sorry for being stupid

Connected at any time you want to watch, all the time basically.
Terrestrial TV channels are radio waves broadcast from big transmission towers. The aerial is the bit that converts those radio waves into electrical signals in a wire, which the TV or freebox box can then understand.

It has been known for exceptionally strong signal areas to work with just a bit of cable with no aerial on the end, but you do need something to pick them up.

The system is designed for larger outdoor aerials as designing it for the much less sensitive indoor aerials would have required more transmitters or higher transmission power. The nature of radio waves means they weaken a lot over distance, so if you happen to be close to a transmitter a less sensitive aerial like an indoor one can work.

There are lots of coverage checkers available online, so you can see if you're likely to be in a strong signal area or not.

Aerials themselves don't need to be powered, the powered bit is the amplifier on it which is only sometimes necessary so if the power is an issue an unpowered setup may be possible.

Freeview is the organisation that came in to manage the broadcasts when the switch to digital happened, so Freeview channels have always been digital.
Mendoza24/02/2020 17:34

thank you can I also ask, does it always have to be connected for the …thank you can I also ask, does it always have to be connected for the channels to work?or can I use it to find the digital freeview channels, and they will work without it?sorry for being stupid

You need to keep it connected to view the channels as they’re live. I think you’re thinking of ‘downloading’ the channels, which isn’t possible.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants