Groups

Can anyone recommend an Iphone forum?

As per title I am looking for a GOOD Informative forum based around the Iphone. Me and my partner are both getting phones tomorrow and being new to the iphone i want to learn some tips and tricks, I would prefer a forum to a site as i like to ask lots of questions.

many thanks

46 Comments

You could give macrumors a go here:

macrumors iPhone forum
    Edited by: "thehitman" 1st Oct 2010

Not a forum, but for guide and tips this is a good site,

iphoneheat.com/

modmyi.com but macrumors is probably best

Banned

if you have any questions i may be able to answer them if you want i have fixed a brave few in the past for people i no freebies may i add

Original Poster

Thanks for all your links guys, Mariesmyth one question i do have is the phones i am getting are both factory unlocked so no need for me to jailbreak right? but do i need something called cydia for apps?

Banned

you will still need to jailbreak if you want cydia for apps mate. do you know what version the iphones are on

Original Poster

No i dont get the phones till tomorrow , i have never had an iphone before so its all new to me,, all i know is these are factory unlocked already.

Banned

ok mate. well a little tip i have seen is if they are 4.0.0 or 4.0.1 you can jailbreak no problem but if its 4.0.2 dont think their is a jailbreak out for that version yet so if their 4.0.0 or 4.0.1 keep it at that version then you can jailbreak no problem. also when you plug to itunes and it askes you to upgrade the software to 4.0.2 say no. if you need help to jailbreak on 4.0.0 or 4.0.1 i can tell you and its really easy

Original Poster

KinkDink

ok mate. well a little tip i have seen is if they are 4.0.0 or 4.0.1 you … ok mate. well a little tip i have seen is if they are 4.0.0 or 4.0.1 you can jailbreak no problem but if its 4.0.2 dont think their is a jailbreak out for that version yet so if their 4.0.0 or 4.0.1 keep it at that version then you can jailbreak no problem. also when you plug to itunes and it askes you to upgrade the software to 4.0.2 say no. if you need help to jailbreak on 4.0.0 or 4.0.1 i can tell you and its really easy

Thanks, is cydia a good addition to the iphone? Can i run 2 phones on one itunes? is jailbreaking easy to do, i am pretty competent with a pc.

Banned

well mate cydia is very very handy for apps and games etc. you dont need to do anything on the pc to jailbreak

Original Poster

Ok, my comment regarding pc usage was just to outline that im not a techophobe , apps and games would be very handy to me, how does the process work? i mean do u download app from cydia directly via the phone or can you download of the net then use itunes to add them to the phone?

Banned

when you get the iphones let me know what version is on them. if its 4.0.0 or 4.0.1 like i said then your fine. once you jailbreak it cydia will add to the home screen and all you do is go into cydia and download via that. no need for itunes or pc really

Banned

Ohh And Forgot to say before you tell me what versions and jailbreak etc sync the phone with itunes first

Original Poster

Thanks very much I will give you a shout when the phones arrive, Do you have any other suggestions of stuff i should consider doing when i get them?

Original Poster

KinkDink

Ohh And Forgot to say before you tell me what versions and jailbreak etc … Ohh And Forgot to say before you tell me what versions and jailbreak etc sync the phone with itunes first

But dont update

Banned

yea dont upgrade to 4.0.2. no mate all you really need is cydia and your sorted for any app really

Original Poster

cool thanks very much, i must say i am excited about getting one, i have wanted one for a long time now.

Thanks again.

Banned

np mate

Original Poster

is there a free satnav app?

Banned

when you jailbreak and get cydia their are a few inc . TomTom :). i gtg the now pick the lil one up

Original Poster

Ok thanks, i also have to go and get mine, take care and thanks again

Banned

no problem mate

I get mine next Wed - be interesting to see how your jailbreak goes, i want to do it but worried about turning it into a Brick!!!!!

Original Poster

andrpro

I get mine next Wed - be interesting to see how your jailbreak goes, i … I get mine next Wed - be interesting to see how your jailbreak goes, i want to do it but worried about turning it into a Brick!!!!!

I heard it is pretty hard to brick it unless you do something stupid.

Banned

you wont brick it mate trust me

Original Poster

Well both phones come and both are mint and unlocked, i have synced both with itunes, i didnt update them and the version number is 4.1

Banned

ok great mate now disconnect from itunes . do you have wifi you can connect to on the iphone or 3g?

multitouchfans.com

Good iPhone sub-forum, watch it though, some of the members are right tools.

Original Poster

KinkDink

ok great mate now disconnect from itunes . do you have wifi you can … ok great mate now disconnect from itunes . do you have wifi you can connect to on the iphone or 3g?

Yes i have wifi

Banned

ok connect to it with the iphone/iphones then goto safari on the iphone. once in safari tap the screen and type in the address bar jailbreakme.com then slide to jailbreak

Original Poster

I get the message, "Version to new. You need to downgrade to 4.0.1/3.2.1 or earlier"

Banned

the iphones have to be 4.0.1 or 4.0.0 not 4.1 or 4.0.2

Original Poster

its 4.1

You can't jailbreak the new version (4.1).

Wait till the dev community bring a jailbreak out for it.

Banned

no you cant jailbreak 4.1 as of yet. only 4.0.0 and 4.0.1 are out the now. when i get/see the new jailbreak ill let you know

Original Poster

is it not possible to downgrade?

Banned

if im correct in thinking im sure you have to have it jailbroken to downgrade could be wrong but never downgraded a iphone before.

It is possible to downgrade, at least it was when I had my ipod touch. Just go on here and download the relevant software update you need:

iclarified.com/ent…750

Then when you plug in your iphone where it says check for update, right click the update button and select update from file (can't remember if that was what it said our didn't, but you get the jist) then find the .ipsw file you downloaded earlier.

Hope this helps.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Budget gaming pc with capability of overclock ?23
      2. Flights only Dominican Republic33
      3. Buy back on Euros to £££34
      4. Iphone 7 - What Case?59

See more discussions