Can anyone recommend pc optimiser/tune up software?

13 replies
Found 6th Feb
As the title says really. I don't mind paying for decent software but want to avoid recurring premiums.

I know the basics but wouldn't be comfortable with manually changing registry entries, services, net-bios etc so am looking for something user-friendly. I'm not sure if the pc tune-ups/optimisers are actually any good and I'd be better off just taking on-board tips that have and do work for you - if so, please let me know.

My laptop has an early i5 gen processor, 8GB RAM and a (very) low-end dedicated Nvidia 1GB gfx card. The OS is Win 10 x 64.

Thanks and as always, I appreciate any advice or suggestions.

1. Ask
  2. iTunes
  3. PC
13 Comments

Dual boot with Linux mint. That will fly on the spec you have. You can do all your banking and browsing net with mint and just use the windows OS for whatever.

I've always used winoptimizer you can get older versions for free which do just as well

CCleaner free version is good, just remember not accept the extra installs while installing (toolbars etc)

Windows 10 refresh and start again. windowscentral.com/how…-10
If windows is fragged then I just refresh it and reinstall the new stuff.

RobertM0215

I'm not sure if the pc tune-ups/optimisers are actually any good and I'd … I'm not sure if the pc tune-ups/optimisers are actually any good and I'd be better off just taking on-board tips that have and do work for you - if so, please let me know.

Don't fix what ain't broken.

They can be useful for troubleshooting, but I wouldn't even consider running one on a regular basis as they can cause issues themselves.

kester76

Windows 10 refresh and start again. … Windows 10 refresh and start again. http://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-refresh-tool-do-clean-install-windows-10If windows is fragged then I just refresh it and reinstall the new stuff.

This would be the best choice imo^ doesn't take long anymore, windows used to take hours in the past.

catbeans

CCleaner free version is good, just remember not accept the extra … CCleaner free version is good, just remember not accept the extra installs while installing (toolbars etc)

If you cant be bothered with a fresh install then this would be my next choice ^ CCleaner has been one of the best for a while now and is still free and easy to use.

I use 360 Total Security its available in the MS store,it has a tune-up tool.Now some may be aware of a Chinese tool,but no problems... google.co.uk/url…rjt

All PC optimizer/tune-up tools are useless. They provide no useful features that Microsoft's own automated tools don't already provide.

If you're struggling with performance issues, the answer nearly always to reduce the amount of clutter. Use MSConfig (or Autoruns, available from Microsoft) to see what automatically loads when Windows boots, and trim from its lists all the things you don't need.

I'd only ever use CCleaner.
Most of the optimization software is either mal/ad/spyware or just does exactly the same as CCleaner does only in a more flashy way.

Windows Vista and later automatically defrags and does basic clean up routines, so no need for anything flashy or bundled software.

joedastudd

I'd only ever use CCleaner. Most of the optimization software is either … I'd only ever use CCleaner. Most of the optimization software is either mal/ad/spyware or just does exactly the same as CCleaner does only in a more flashy way.Windows Vista and later automatically defrags and does basic clean up routines, so no need for anything flashy or bundled software.

+1 CCleaner pro.

Autoruns is your friend.

Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the responses. I was tempted to do a fresh install but having to re-install all the software I use put me off.

I'll try ccleaner which seems a popular choice and have marked the best answer to the first post that mentioned it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Domain renewal35
    2. Wireless earphones33
    3. Gatwick Airport Parking44
    4. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?47

See more discussions