Can anyone suggest a good commuter bike for around £300?

I will need a new bike to travel to work. It is about 2.5 miles on relatively flat roads. I would also like to be able to use it for country trails, though nothing too rugged. Can anyone suggest a good bike, hybrid or mountain, for around £300? I should also add I am looking for a ladies bike with a small frame (I'm 5'4").
Cheers!

7 Comments

Look on gumtree at second hand lots in that bracket and cheaper best to get one cheaper n then upgrade when you stick to it or see if your company do bike for work scheme too

there's some decent discounts at Rutland cycling website.

Original Poster

justanothercid

Look on gumtree at second hand lots in that bracket and cheaper best to … Look on gumtree at second hand lots in that bracket and cheaper best to get one cheaper n then upgrade when you stick to it or see if your company do bike for work scheme too

​Thanks, yeah I've been looking at Gumtree but mostly old rubbish or stolen!!

Original Poster

you_gotta_be_kidding

there's some decent discounts at Rutland cycling website.

​Yes, annoyingly I missed out on a recent deal on here. Took too long to decide what size I needed, then as soon as I had, it was sold out!

cycleking.co.uk/adu…tml
I bought one of these a year ago, have been really pleased with it and it's now about £50 cheaper than I paid oO . If you have a cycle King close it might be worth a look. This is the 18 gear, but they do a 6 as well if you wanted something more basic. The pannier rack is a bit on the heavy side but I still use it enough to keep it on.
Also I'm 5'5" and the 19" frame is a perfect size . I tried various bikes at halfords but couldn't find one that matched up to this. Be sure to have a sit on whichever one you choose and get them to amend it to the correct height for you , as halfords in particularly seem to suggest the totally incorrect height to frame ratio for some of their bikes and they come up far too small.
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 6th May

May be this one? hotukdeals.com/dea…234 . Small size will suit you and low maintenance also.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Much appreciated.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…11
    2. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
    3. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
    4. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134

See more discussions