Groups

Can Anyone Tell me If This Laptop Is Worth £260 Please?

As above really, I'm on the hunt for a laptop for my daughter, for christmas and came across this :

* Samsung R40.
    * Model Number - NP R40K008/SUK
    * Processor: Intel Celeron 430 - 1.7GHz, 1MB L2 Cache
    * RAM: 512MB DDR2
    * Hard Drive: 80GB
    * Screen: 15.4" Widescreen TFT (1280x800 - 16:10)with Super Bright Technology
    * Optical Drive: DVD±RW Super Multi Double Layer
    * Graphics: Integrated Graphics supporting 128MB
    * Wireless LAN: 802.11b/g - Call for advice on Wireless Networking
    * Warranty: 1 Year
    * Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    * Fast Ethernet 10/100
    * Built-In Stereo Speakers
    * 6-in-1 Flash Memory Card Reader
    * S-Video Output

So, is it worth just over £260?

Thanks for any help....!

18 Comments

Definitely not if it's second hand. If it's new it's still not great, that processor isn't even dual-core IIRC and spending a little more will get a much better machine.

Straight away I will say this is NOT worth £260. It is way overpriced.

Judging by the specs of this machine I would say it is about 2 years old.

You can get a new laptop for about that price.

For example here is a Fujitsu Siemens for £270 on the Argos site.

argos.co.uk/sta…htm

Not the greatest spec, but twice as much memory, and it runs Vista rather than XP which is now about 2 years old.

Original Poster

It is a new laptop, and I saw it running XP as a bonus to be honest! ( I'm not keen on vista!)

Looks like the search will continue then...!

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

dmh77;3336869

It is a new laptop, and I saw it running XP as a bonus to be honest! ( … It is a new laptop, and I saw it running XP as a bonus to be honest! ( I'm not keen on vista!)Looks like the search will continue then...! :)Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

I hated vista at first hun, but absolutely love it now :thumbsup:

What sort of spec laptop are you looking for?
    What is your price range?

I am sure we can find you something much better. :thinking:

Deffinitely not worth it, although I agree with the XP thing.

Vista is fine but if your buying one with Vista then ensure it has a minimum of 2GB of RAM and a dual core CPU

Original Poster

choc1969;3336925

I hated vista at first hun, but absolutely love it now :thumbsup:

I think the problem is that my PC is xp, and my laptop is vista... while my main computer is xp, I don't have to get used to vista!! :oops:

I am just after somthing to keep my lovely daughter from clogging my pc up with rubbish!!

And of course to do her homework on.... :whistling:

This maybe a bit dearer than you wanted but I bought this for my wife xmas present - ]Acer Aspire 5720 and with £5 off and £3.50 clubcard vouchers it will really cost me £340...

As I said let us know and I will have a look about.

Here you go, a little more money, but more bang for your buck

laptopshop.co.uk/tos…htm

Is a refurb, but comes with full 12 month manufacturers warranty. Comes with XP too

Original Poster

Tez131;3336950

What sort of spec laptop are you looking for?What is your price range?I … What sort of spec laptop are you looking for?What is your price range?I am sure we can find you something much better. :thinking:

Lol, my price range is as cheap as possible, and it will be for a 12 year olds homework, msn and bebo.

Not too worried about the spec, as long as it will do the job (and get her off my pc!) :-D

Original Poster

Tez131;3336988

This maybe a bit dearer than you wanted but I bought this for my wife … This maybe a bit dearer than you wanted but I bought this for my wife xmas present - ]Acer Aspire 5720 and with £5 off and £3.50 clubcard vouchers it will really cost me £340...As I said let us know and I will have a look about.

Looks good, but there is no way her laptop is costing more than mine did!!! :whistling:

It really doesn't need to be anything fancy.. but wireless would be needed!

Thanks!

Original Poster

dmccabe;3337005

Here you go, a little more money, but more bang for your … Here you go, a little more money, but more bang for your buckhttp://www.laptopshop.co.uk/toshiba-sat_pro_l300_156_rf2863-refurbished_laptop-3-rf2.htmIs a refurb, but comes with full 12 month manufacturers warranty. Comes with XP too

That looks good too! :thumbsup:

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Tez131;3337043

What about something like this ]Refurb Laptop with 3month warranty??I … What about something like this ]Refurb Laptop with 3month warranty??I will have another look.

Now that looks REALLY good! Price is heading in the right direction too! :w00t:

See below

dmh77;3337133

Now that looks REALLY good! Price is heading in the right direction too! … Now that looks REALLY good! Price is heading in the right direction too! :w00t:

]Here are the rest of the refurbs on that site.

dmh77;3337056

Looks good, but there is no way her laptop is costing more than mine … Looks good, but there is no way her laptop is costing more than mine did!!!

Why not buy YOURSELF a new laptop and give her your one :thumbsup:

Its worth it if its brand new, refurb probably worth around 225-250, and second hand/used around the 200 mark I'd say.

you can get far better laptops with a better spec for your 260 pounds sterling! :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7041337
      2. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1840
      3. Forza Motorsport 7 Demo goes live on Xbox One and PC (6pm - 19/09)67
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767163

See more discussions