Can anyone use "OK Google or Google Assistant" with the screen off and locked on an Android phone?

Found 30th Sep 2017
I'm curious about this as I've an app in development that would benefit from voice control. I can't get it to work on my current or previous phones (Ulefone Power 2 and Elephone P8000) but I think I read somewhere it can be used on certain phones.

If I could find a phone it worked on I'd be able to test it in a real world environment but if it can't be done then there's no point me wasting time to code.

TYIA.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Setting on my Nexus 6p which allows trusted voice to unlock device when you say "ok Google" The device then wakes up,unlocks and the assistant opens. On Android 8 Oreo, though think was also on Android 7.

32139161-ivp17.jpg
My Samsung is the same, if you add it as a trusted something or other, it bypasses the unlock challenge, much like the ICE contact
Thanks for the replies guys, I've done all that.

I think it's something to do with the processor and won't work on all phones. From what I understand, using voice recognition means he mic is always on and is a big drain on the battery.

It's good to know that there are phones that can use the feature but another question, can you use OK Google with the screen staying off? Waking up the device seems a waste, I'd like to communicate with the phone with the screen off and via bluetooth.

Also I'd like to hear from other phones that can use this feature, especially a cheap one! I don't need a new phone, just need something to develop on.
GlentoranMark55 m ago

Thanks for the replies guys, I've done all that.I think it's something to …Thanks for the replies guys, I've done all that.I think it's something to do with the processor and won't work on all phones. From what I understand, using voice recognition means he mic is always on and is a big drain on the battery. It's good to know that there are phones that can use the feature but another question, can you use OK Google with the screen staying off? Waking up the device seems a waste, I'd like to communicate with the phone with the screen off and via bluetooth. Also I'd like to hear from other phones that can use this feature, especially a cheap one! I don't need a new phone, just need something to develop on.

Old article but this might help.
theandroidsoul.com/you…re/

Also if you willing to root your current device.
droidviews.com/for…ff/

Don't think it currently available to use without screen switching on using google assistant. Although upon saying that is a way but not with an app. Example I'll use is my car info system running google auto, although it is using bluetooth to connect to my device it more or less is just using the device as a modem and then running the assistant from its own OS without ever waking the phone device screen up.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 30th Sep 2017
darlodge12 h, 2 m ago

My Samsung is the same, if you add it as a trusted something or other, it …My Samsung is the same, if you add it as a trusted something or other, it bypasses the unlock challenge, much like the ICE contact

How does the ICE thing work?
artnada2 h, 33 m ago

How does the ICE thing work?

On my Nexus 6P (Stock Android), settings,user & accounts, at very bottom, Emergency information. You can fill out Address,Blood Type,Allergies,Medications,Organ Donor then add any medical notes. You can also tag contacts then from your contacts list.
For the responder at lock screen you press the "Emergency" button, phone dialler opens, with option to view the information.
cecilmcroberts13 h, 16 m ago

Old article but this might help. …Old article but this might help. https://www.theandroidsoul.com/your-phone-might-support-ok-google-with-the-screen-off-check-the-list-of-supported-devices-here/Also if you willing to root your current device. http://www.droidviews.com/force-ok-google-detection-screen-off/Don't think it currently available to use without screen switching on using google assistant. Although upon saying that is a way but not with an app. Example I'll use is my car info system running google auto, although it is using bluetooth to connect to my device it more or less is just using the device as a modem and then running the assistant from its own OS without ever waking the phone device screen up.

Brilliant info Cecil (with both links on that list) and I have Googled the problem!

Although I've rooted devices before, I'm scared to root my current device (Power 2.) I have a working app with a decent sized database in use but for the life of me I can't get back up and restore developed (I will get it sorted eventually) so I don't want to risk losing the database.

Voice control is actually pretty easy to code, Android does all the work for you. It translates into strings in just a few lines and it's only a matter of comparing strings. As my app is used in a business where hands free is essential, I think speaking and controlling the app via Bluetooth would be a massive benefit but no good if the battery dies due to the screen being on, hence my question. I've also another app I've thought about that would work that would benefit.

I'll check out phones with similar processors on that list.
GlentoranMark11 m ago

Brilliant info Cecil (with both links on that list) and I have Googled the …Brilliant info Cecil (with both links on that list) and I have Googled the problem! Although I've rooted devices before, I'm scared to root my current device (Power 2.) I have a working app with a decent sized database in use but for the life of me I can't get back up and restore developed (I will get it sorted eventually) so I don't want to risk losing the database. Voice control is actually pretty easy to code, Android does all the work for you. It translates into strings in just a few lines and it's only a matter of comparing strings. As my app is used in a business where hands free is essential, I think speaking and controlling the app via Bluetooth would be a massive benefit but no good if the battery dies due to the screen being on, hence my question. I've also another app I've thought about that would work that would benefit.I'll check out phones with similar processors on that list.

It might be possible in a round about way. You can see how Tasker app from one of the links works, you could link a task/command response to also sleep the screen again, cuts down on the loss of battery from screen wakeup but still as you say will have some battery issues possibly. Although I'm unsure if it would mean your app would require root access to the device. Might be worth testing.
On the mic always on you can see from the list more or less it's chipsets that have some low power cores where the mic action will be pushed too, so it will use low power always listening.
cecilmcroberts1 h, 28 m ago

It might be possible in a round about way. You can see how Tasker app from …It might be possible in a round about way. You can see how Tasker app from one of the links works, you could link a task/command response to also sleep the screen again, cuts down on the loss of battery from screen wakeup but still as you say will have some battery issues possibly. Although I'm unsure if it would mean your app would require root access to the device. Might be worth testing. On the mic always on you can see from the list more or less it's chipsets that have some low power cores where the mic action will be pushed too, so it will use low power always listening.

I've looked into Tasker and it requires a root. It also wouldn't really help when I put my app on the Play Store because users shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get the app to work.

If I provided a list of phones it would work on I could upsell the app to these devices, maybe as an added feature.

Thanks for the response though.
What does your app do, if you don't mind me asking?+
r2mahara5 h, 8 m ago

What does your app do, if you don't mind me asking?+

It's a business app that keeps track of payments and advanced work for a certain trade. It's unique and nothing similar on the Play Store (and why I don't say the trade.) I'm currently using it and finding it to be massive benefit. I've still back up and restore to sort before I release it (and this is my sticking point but I will figure it out) but I've already added features like print and £/h. I've the core of the app working, I just need to clean my code, fix the back up and restore and add a few more things like a user guide before I put it into Alpha or Beta testing.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants