Can anything be done legally if your council house is infested with rats ?

Found 26th Dec 2017
Living in a council home, infested with rats, want another home, any tips/advice around this? In what way can I get given a new home? With a better size ?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Are you for real?
April 1st is a few months away.
shadey123 m ago

Are you for real?April 1st is a few months away.

Gimme gimme gimme?
psychobitchfromhell10 m ago

Gimme gimme gimme?

Maybe op wants a bigger, better house because it's Christmas and wants the rats to have their own room.
I seriously think some 'entitled' people need to give their head a shake.
shadey1245 m ago

Maybe op wants a bigger, better house because it's Christmas and wants the …Maybe op wants a bigger, better house because it's Christmas and wants the rats to have their own room.I seriously think some 'entitled' people need to give their head a shake.

I wanted a bigger house. Went a bit left of centre. I found a house the size I wanted and I bought it. How stupid am i?
31 Comments
Are you for real?
April 1st is a few months away.
shadey123 m ago

Are you for real?April 1st is a few months away.

Gimme gimme gimme?
psychobitchfromhell10 m ago

Gimme gimme gimme?

Maybe op wants a bigger, better house because it's Christmas and wants the rats to have their own room.
I seriously think some 'entitled' people need to give their head a shake.
Dannyrobbo29 m ago

Wow I can’t believe you just said that

Hey, call a spade a spade
shadey1245 m ago

Maybe op wants a bigger, better house because it's Christmas and wants the …Maybe op wants a bigger, better house because it's Christmas and wants the rats to have their own room.I seriously think some 'entitled' people need to give their head a shake.

I wanted a bigger house. Went a bit left of centre. I found a house the size I wanted and I bought it. How stupid am i?
psychobitchfromhell13 m ago

I wanted a bigger house. Went a bit left of centre. I found a house the …I wanted a bigger house. Went a bit left of centre. I found a house the size I wanted and I bought it. How stupid am i?

You fool, you just needed to jump on the entitlement bandwagon.
Maybe if it snows or get icy later (its forecast) you could start a thread about free rocksalt or the council coming round to clear it for you.
You could just go the whole 9 yards and enquire how to get your drive replaced.
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 1 m ago

I wanted a bigger house. Went a bit left of centre. I found a house the …I wanted a bigger house. Went a bit left of centre. I found a house the size I wanted and I bought it. How stupid am i?

Yes but you aren't "entitled". You've worked hard and played hard. And yes OK you've turned into a psycho (definitely not going to add any more to that ) and you have a lot of common sense whereby you'd know not to leave bags of rubbish and uneaten food around to encourage the infestation and if you got the smallest whiff of a rodent problem you'd take necessary steps to identify where/how they got in and fix that as well as bait

But, as I've already said, you have a lot of common sense....with good (and it hurts me to says this) intelligence

Unfortunately the human race is varied and some feel entitled and some are less intelligent
Edited by: "philphil61" 26th Dec 2017
Surely if the rats left it would feel like a bigger house.
See a solicitor after the holidays - you should be able to issue an eviction notice on the rats. In the meantime, spoil their fun by putting up a "No Rats" sign.
I may be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure if you look in your tenancy agreement which you will have signed, infestations have to be sorted at your expense.
Have you thought of buying a flute?
Start playing it and all the rats will follow you down the street.

I believe the current Major of London Village was successful at doing just that.
caverncity2 h, 57 m ago

Surely if the rats left it would feel like a bigger house.

It would but where would the OP then live?
Jesus christ, what sort of society are we supporting these days? All this greed and spunging off hard working people.

OP, do you know how many people are on the waiting list for council homes? The rats are probably caused by your family or neighbours' lifestyle. Just look into sorting them out like everyone else and stop wanting to free load on society and tax payers.
philphil614 h, 5 m ago

Yes but you aren't "entitled". You've worked hard and played hard. And …Yes but you aren't "entitled". You've worked hard and played hard. And yes OK you've turned into a psycho (definitely not going to add any more to that ) and you have a lot of common sense whereby you'd know not to leave bags of rubbish and uneaten food around to encourage the infestation and if you got the smallest whiff of a rodent problem you'd take necessary steps to identify where/how they got in and fix that as well as baitBut, as I've already said, you have a lot of common sense....with good (and it hurts me to says this) intelligenceUnfortunately the human race is varied and some feel entitled and some are less intelligent

Phil, you've made my day. Thanks a lot, I needed that boost. Back to vomit clearing duties now. I get all the good jobs. Actually I get all the jobs, good or bad
shadey124 h, 54 m ago

You fool, you just needed to jump on the entitlement bandwagon.Maybe if it …You fool, you just needed to jump on the entitlement bandwagon.Maybe if it snows or get icy later (its forecast) you could start a thread about free rocksalt or the council coming round to clear it for you.You could just go the whole 9 yards and enquire how to get your drive replaced.

No I'm stupid. I spread my own sand and salt.
psychobitchfromhell35 m ago

No I'm stupid. I spread my own sand and salt.

Thats cos you wont brung up rite an dont no yor rites an entitlmant,
(hope your sons better soon and you get some rest and recuperation)
shadey125 m ago

Thats cos you wont brung up rite an dont no yor rites an …Thats cos you wont brung up rite an dont no yor rites an entitlmant,(hope your sons better soon and you get some rest and recuperation)

Last week was rest and recuperation when we were on holiday. He threw up there as well. At least he made it to the bathroom that time.
Buy and breed a couple of ferrets they should keep the rats away. Then buy a Jack Russell and you could spend the weekend out ratting and save money on you gas/elec bills.
Just don't send the rats to errors house.... they'll get worms, then us tax payers will be expected to sort that out aswell!
Are the rats actually coming from your property? We have a couple of propertys near us with overgrown gardens with furniture such as sofas in them and they seem to be the source of rats near us.

Luckily the only sign of rats we have is the dead ones left as gifts at our doorstep by one of our cats, get 2 or 3 gifts a day from him, mind you if the one the other day was anything to go buy if it was any bigger it would have been the rat dragging the cat to our step.
barriey40 m ago

Just don't send the rats to errors house.... they'll get worms, then us …Just don't send the rats to errors house.... they'll get worms, then us tax payers will be expected to sort that out aswell!

Err,
32913994-ahZwi.jpg
barriey1 h, 40 m ago

Just don't send the rats to errors house.... they'll get worms, then us …Just don't send the rats to errors house.... they'll get worms, then us tax payers will be expected to sort that out aswell!

deleted1416210
Can anything be done legally if your council house is infested with rats ?

Your question is super vague, why are you looking to go down the legal route?
How long has pest control been treating the issue?,
Have pest control said it is an issue with the property that is causing the infestation?
What does a pest issue have to do with wanting a bigger house?
My friends in a council house and had a problem with rats from a neighbours house, the council will remove the rat problem for a fee, can't see why you would need to move rather than just get rid of Rats and even if they did move you you wouldn't be entitled to anything larger.
After you have sorted out the rat infestation. You could think about a mutual council exchange as explained Here
Before taking the legal route, you should contact your MP explaining that the current situation is an infringement of your human rights. They are obliged to help you secure something fit for human habitation.
deleted1416210
tempt8 m ago

Before taking the legal route, you should contact your MP explaining that …Before taking the legal route, you should contact your MP explaining that the current situation is an infringement of your human rights. They are obliged to help you secure something fit for human habitation.

We don't even know if pest control have been called yet..
tempt1 h, 38 m ago

Before taking the legal route, you should contact your MP explaining that …Before taking the legal route, you should contact your MP explaining that the current situation is an infringement of your human rights. They are obliged to help you secure something fit for human habitation.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, we also don’t know when the rats moved in. I assume the place was habitable when the tenant got the keys and then the problem arose. So in theory this is the tenants problem that can be rectified by them
tempt4 h, 47 m ago

Why must this be a human rights issue? We don’t know all the details but it’s ridiculous that rats in the house can be used to ‘game’ a system that’s already massively stretched, wasting further limited council resources, instead of encouraging people to take some personal responsibility in their own lives and to try and deal with the issue themselves, much as the rest of us all have to. Why can’t we suggest people do that instead?

I believe in supporting the less fortunate in our society, but it really angers me when I see people exploiting that system.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants