Can Argos refuse a refund because the stock code sticker is missing?

Posted 10th Oct 2018
I’m here in Argos being questioned why I removed the sticker. There’s a yellow residue and they refuse to refund it.

I’ve been told they have no way to tell where it’s from, yet I have a receipt saying where it’s from...

Surely this can’t be right
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
what item are you trying to return, certain electrical items have stickers over to stop people from opening them up and voids the warranty, unless this is a different sticker
Below is on their returns terms
During the returns process, we might ask for the product serial number or similar, to check the item was actually supplied by us.

so so maybe they can refuse if they are not convinced it was sold by them
Why did you remove the sticker?
Argos can tell if it was sold by them by using the receipt. Their systems will show the item in question was indeed sold on that date and that time. Maybe the refund broke down because the details didn’t check out. Or maybe the barcode on the box showed it was not the ones their distributors provide them with, even if the item is the same
Edited by: "androidavis" 10th Oct 2018
If you bought instore, they can impose whatever T&C they desire, as long as those T&C were available to you when you purchased.
Were you returning it because you didn’t want it or because it was faulty?

a few years back I got an iron from Argos and it broke within 12 months. I returned it with the receipt but no box )who keeps the box from their iron) and it was no problem
Pricklerickle10/10/2018 18:39

what item are you trying to return, certain electrical items have stickers …what item are you trying to return, certain electrical items have stickers over to stop people from opening them up and voids the warranty, unless this is a different sticker

It’s a copy of Tomb Raider I got before I had to leave the country for a couple weeks the same night.

I don’t have the time to play it and figured when I do it’ll be cheaper.

Drooler10/10/2018 18:46

Why did you remove the sticker?

Because I have OCD and I don’t think a games art should be tarnished by a sticker... even if it’s on top of the seal.

tinkerbellian10/10/2018 18:39

Below is on their returns terms During the returns process, we might ask …Below is on their returns terms During the returns process, we might ask for the product serial number or similar, to check the item was actually supplied by us.so so maybe they can refuse if they are not convinced it was sold by them

The serial on that sticker is their item code for the game.

Spoken to customer service and they’re not sure why he refused a refund and said they can’t overturn it but he’s put a note on the system saying I can still get a refund if I miss the return window and was told to just try another store.

Kinda stupid they don’t have a set rules.
Edited by: "shaffy_oppa" 10th Oct 2018
shaffy_oppa9 m ago

It’s a copy of Tomb Raider I got before I had to leave the country for a c …It’s a copy of Tomb Raider I got before I had to leave the country for a couple weeks the same night.I don’t have the time to play it and figured when I do it’ll be cheaper. Because I have OCD and I don’t think a games art should be tarnished by a sticker... even if it’s on top of the seal.The serial on that sticker is their item code for the game.Spoken to customer service and they’re not sure why he refused a refund and said they can’t overturn it but he’s put a note on the system saying I can still get a refund if I miss the return window and was told to just try another store.Kinda stupid they don’t have a set rules.

in that case, should be able to get return if still in shrink wrapper but always becareful of removing labels as you get some funny ones
shaffy_oppa9 m ago

Because I have OCD and I don’t think a games art should be tarnished by a s …Because I have OCD and I don’t think a games art should be tarnished by a sticker... even if it’s on top of the seal.

Not aware of any legal right to refund on change of mind if an item is purchased on premises of the merchant. Argos may offer a voluntary refund / credit policy in addition to legal rights and it doesn't seem unreasonable for Argos to require reasonable indication a potential return was the same item it sold rather than an identical item sold elsewhere. Maybe a gesture of goodwill by Argos would be appropriate?
Made it to another store, closes at 8. Doors shut, looks empty and cleared up. 19:48...
deleted1080215
shaffy_oppa53 m ago

Made it to another store, closes at 8. Doors shut, looks empty and cleared …Made it to another store, closes at 8. Doors shut, looks empty and cleared up. 19:48...

They all hiding behind the counter until you gone......
deleted1471098
Unless the item is faulty on a legal basis they can. The item should be returned in an unused and resalable condition (there’s normally small print stating tags/stickers/packaging etc should still be attached). It could be argued that they sell them with the stickers and that provides assurance to the customers that it has not been tampered with and you have tampered with that by removing the sticker. You should be more careful.
You've got no basis for a refund.

Cynic says you buy the game at full price from argos on release, play it.
couple of weeks later pick up a cheaper copy from ebay and return that to argos for refund.
mas9911/10/2018 10:39

You've got no basis for a refund. Cynic says you buy the game at full …You've got no basis for a refund. Cynic says you buy the game at full price from argos on release, play it.couple of weeks later pick up a cheaper copy from ebay and return that to argos for refund.

Yes but it will still be shrink wrapped won’t it.
androidavis1 h, 57 m ago

Yes but it will still be shrink wrapped won’t it.

But oddly lacking the original argos sticker?
mas998 h, 34 m ago

You've got no basis for a refund. Cynic says you buy the game at full …You've got no basis for a refund. Cynic says you buy the game at full price from argos on release, play it.couple of weeks later pick up a cheaper copy from ebay and return that to argos for refund.

I understand that but even if that’s the case it’s still odd to refuse a refund because the sticker is missing they’re getting the same item back. I don’t think behaviour like that is good and frankly requires too much effort.

Places are usually even fine if you take something back because the price dropped within your 30 days and you get a refund then buy it at the current price. Used to happen at work all the time.

I’m just quite taken aback Argos is so upity about something so stupid and frankly I was frustrated by the behaviour of the so called manager who doesn’t know how to treat people.

I could have gotten it as a gift and removed the Argos sticker because I didn’t want them to know where it was from?

It is the copy I got from Argos, I removed the sticker because I took a picture and didn’t want it to obstruct the view.

Either way it’s been dealt with. My return period has been extended and he’s been told to accept it as it meets their return requirements of being unused, sealed and sellable.
shaffy_oppa30th Oct

What’d I miss

And cocki licking it up
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants