Can car fail MOT test due to rust ?

Top comments
Yes, if it's within a certain distance to a structure point / jacking point etc. That one looks like it could well be a fail
14 Comments
Yes, if it's within a certain distance to a structure point / jacking point etc. That one looks like it could well be a fail
I recently had a 30 year old mini that you could put your feet through the floor and it passed
Yes
Depends on the MOT centre and who checks it
It looks like it’s the front wings that are the worst there non structural but depends on how bad the sill is as it doesn’t look the best either. Best to get it checked out
Yep had a fail for rust years ago.
Rusty8204/07/2020 10:39

I recently had a 30 year old mini that you could put your feet through the …I recently had a 30 year old mini that you could put your feet through the floor and it passed

Yeah, but did it have rust as well?
EndlessWaves04/07/2020 12:01

Yeah, but did it have rust as well?

To be honest, there wasn't much left to rust, it was just one big hole.
That would fail in my garage. I know because it did! Not too expensive to repair though
What’s the easiest solution for a fix ? Second hand front wings from eBay or from gumtree with same colour and take it to a garage ?
johnc05704/07/2020 13:04

What’s the easiest solution for a fix ? Second hand front wings from eBay o …What’s the easiest solution for a fix ? Second hand front wings from eBay or from gumtree with same colour and take it to a garage ?

Let it get failed 1st before waisting your money because theirs a chance something else will fail and maybe this won’t
Usually jab at rust underneath with a screwdriver.
It will be solid and pass OR your screwdriver will go through and fail if its structural.

Can be a pain finding a garage who will take on simple welding tasks these days mind you.

Outer wing is OK, that sill looks very questionable. So will scrape though or require work soon.
Edited by: "MonkeysUncle" 4th Jul
I don't think either will fail. The wing shouldn't, and the back looks like surface rust. Rub them both down, bit of filler, sand down with wet and dry, primer, spray colour, will be good as new, couple hours work max
Post a comment
@
    Text