Can I add an SSD in this laptop?

Posted 11th Nov
Hi, my laptop has an M.2 drive, but there is a space for a standard drive by the looks of it.

Would it be easy to add an SSD in the space in the photos below? If so, where does it connect to on the board?

Thanks

3328774-0FJ6C.jpg3328774-I93cR.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
What model laptop is it?
In theory, probably. The problem is they haven't supplied the data ribbon - the empty socket to the right of 'REV. D' should have a ribbon cable leading to the SATA socket to plug the drive into. If you go to the HP website and plug in the model number, you should be able to find the Service Guide and it will give you the cable part number. However, I suspect that will be prohibitively expensive.
superfreddy11/11/2019 10:13

It's a HP G255 I think

Need to know which G255 - go to the HP Service website and it should identify the full model number. Alternatively, if you have the HP Support Assistant installed, that will also tell you.
Edited by: "Ar460rn" 11th Nov
Is that a 240gb m.2 drive, might be better to just upgrade it.
You can but m.2 to usb readers and clone it, then swap in the new SSD and use the old as backup for photos etc
The model number is HP Notebook - 14-bp069sa
Motherboard pictured (DAG71MB16D0) belongs to a Pavilion 14-B series laptop.

The maintenance and service guide for this laptop states on page 18 that you need a cable with p/n = 927917-001

Someone is selling the cable for £47.66 on Ebay.

Unless HP can supply the cable at a not totally outrageous price replacing the existing M.2 'SATA' SSD will likely be your best way forward.

It is also worth asking HP support if the m.2 port and the SATA port can even operate simultaneously, as they could quite possibly be sharing resources. My old Dell Inspiron Micro Desktop PC can for example only accept one drive at a time.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 11th Nov
SUMMONER11/11/2019 11:02

Motherboard pictured (DAG71MB16D0) belongs to a Pavilion 14-B series …Motherboard pictured (DAG71MB16D0) belongs to a Pavilion 14-B series laptop.The maintenance and service guide for this laptop states on page 18 that you need a cable with p/n = 927917-001Someone is selling the cable for £47.66 on Ebay.Unless HP can supply the cable at a not totally outrageous price replacing the existing M.2 'SATA' SSD will likely be your best way forward

Thanks so much, think you're right. It originally had a 120GB M.2 which I upgraded to 240GB, so might look to upgrade it. Cheers.
superfreddy11/11/2019 11:04

Thanks so much, think you're right. It originally had a 120GB M.2 which I …Thanks so much, think you're right. It originally had a 120GB M.2 which I upgraded to 240GB, so might look to upgrade it. Cheers.

Since those m.2's are so expensive, maybe there's an adaptor that goes into the m.2 slot to convert to sata, just make sure you have enough space, height wise in that void
Edited by: "esar" 11th Nov
I'd just replace the existing M.2 with a 1TB Crucial MX500 for £101
amazon.co.uk/Cru…8-5

And then put the old M.2 in to an external caddy to give you an extra portable drive.
amazon.co.uk/Sab…1-6
esar11/11/2019 11:25

Since those m.2's are so expensive, maybe there's an adaptor that goes …Since those m.2's are so expensive, maybe there's an adaptor that goes into the m.2 slot to convert to sata, just make sure you have enough space, height wise in that void

M.2's have better performance though apparently.
superfreddy11/11/2019 11:45

M.2 NVME has better performance for certain tasks (e.g. copying files that are multiple GB in size)
M.2 SATA and 2.5" SATA drives are identical in performance

To the best of my knowledge your motherboard does NOT support NVME.
Definitely M.2 SATA, not NVME I am afraid.

Also notice that the table shows that you can in fact use both the M.2 slot and the SATA port simultaneously.

38956725-GAtov.jpg
superfreddy11/11/2019 11:45

I'll leave that one to the enthusiasts!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions