Groups

can I afford to drive

after I pay my rent, council tax ect I have about £200 per month free to spend.

my dad offered to pay for lessons.i have about £1.5k savings. if I buy a car would £200 per month be a be enough to run/tax it?

32 Comments

The big cost will be insurance, expect best part of £2k just for your first years insurance.

Original Poster

joedastudd

The big cost will be insurance, expect best part of £2k just for your … The big cost will be insurance, expect best part of £2k just for your first years insurance.

will that go down depending on the value of the car i buy?

brendanhickey

I would be surprised if your first years insurance was below 1500 pal. Regardless of the car.
    Edited by: "AStonedRaichu" 30th Aug 2016

Banned

can you afford to public transport?

weigh it up

having car is always cheaper n more convenient than using public transport. I know insurance is gonna be big thing but unless u start paying its never gonna go down
    buying a cheaper car would not decrease insurance infact it would be other way round newer cars are cheaper to insure
    try to get you lic n save up some more

Banned

insurance has always been over 1k for new drivers, especially higher if you are a male but apparently they stopped that last year,so they say.
    when I was a student, earning £30 pw I took lessons, took tests and bought a car for £1k and obviously living with parents.

op you have plenty of money, lessons can be cheaper if you look around, I know people still paying £15 pH.

First things first get a driving licence then think about getting a car.

You need to take into account cost of repairs etc too, not just daily running costs.

Like @miikeyblue says, it's an idea to put money aside each month to cover unexpected repairs that can crop up anytime and depending on what needs doing can end up being costly.
    What I budget for each year and put money away for each month are:
    car tax (depending on engine size)if you pay.
    insurance
    breakdown
    maintenance
    petrol
    unexpected repairs
    MOT if your car your getting is older than 3 years.
    Once you get your first car though, it'll give you so much freedom to go to so many places and open up so many new opportunities for you.

AStonedRaichu

I would be surprised if your first years insurance was below 1500 pal. … I would be surprised if your first years insurance was below 1500 pal. Regardless of the car.

Depends on your age and area, I passed 2 years ago in my mid twenties and my first year was £760 with Axa and zero voluntary excess.

Anyway OP, I'd learn and pass your test then it's done even if you don't get a car yet.
    Edited by: "dcx_badass" 30th Aug 2016

Is the question not, can I afford not to have someone help me financially pass my driving test.

Take your dad's gift, pass your test and even if yoy don't get a car right away, you'll just need a light refresher in the future when you think about getting a car. Get your test passed as soon as possible, it will only get harder and more expensive as you get older, especially without your dad's help.

iibdii

having car is always cheaper n more convenient than using public … having car is always cheaper n more convenient than using public transport. I know insurance is gonna be big thing but unless u start paying its never gonna go down buying a cheaper car would not decrease insurance infact it would be other way round newer cars are cheaper to insuretry to get you lic n save up some more

Might be more convenient but not really cheaper. In my town all bust journeys for a 7 day period cost £12 a week. Supplement that with a few taxis now and again and this is substantially cheaper than a car expense.

That said only if you travel the vast majority of the time in a 10 mile radius.

depends how old you are mate.

Get lessons and the tests out the way first

Insurance is the big expense, even with black box fitted, my sons was 2,800, I suggest you go on the compare websites and type in different car registrations to see what price comes up, have a look on auto trader for the kind of cars you would like and use there registrations, this will give you a better idea.

Mikeygolfgt

First things first get a driving licence then think about getting a car.

Definitely agree with this. If your dad is offering to pay for your lessons then get this life skill now. My daughter passed her test when she was 17 as we paid for 3/4 of her lessons, three years on she still hasn't bought a car as she commutes to her London Uni by train and it's not financially viable. However it's also given her more time to save up and as soon as she does need a car she will be able to buy one , she plans to have a couple of extra lessons to refresh her skills.
    My son is 17 and we are helping with his lessons on the same basis. £200 a month might be quite a tight budget for your first car with as people have mentioned insurance being the killer, on top of car tax , breakdown cover, mot and repairs/service costs.
    Why not have a quick look at auto trader and pick a car that is similar to what you would want, then take the number plate details to get a quote on one of the comparison websites like confused.com. This will give you a definite insurance figure to start working with. Add the car tax which you can find online, mot plus a little work budget a minimum of £150-£200 a year. Car break down cover , again you can get quotes online, and before anyone says this is a luxury extra, even my mobile car mechanic pays for breakdown cover as he says not everything is fixable by the side of the road, and having to be towed once every few years would wipe out any savings made.

How old are you ?

No. I wouldn't have thought so. Depends how far you're going I suppose but that figure represents 2/3 of my monthly fuel bill!

To put in to perspective. I run a 320cdi s class. £25 /month tax, £60 / insurance, £300/month fuel and I put away £50 / month away for repairs. This doesn't include tyres, MOTs etc. It adds up. At 28 the insurance is still dear for me, this is unavoidable, 6 years no claims but I'm under 30.

I find that running a car costs between 2k to 3k so not cheap. It is kept for convenience, not cost effectiveness.

If you only have £200 a month left, then it is best to use this for buffer, build up your savings, and holidays as you are getting too near the margin.

You have 1.5K now, but with saving £200 a month by the time you've finished lessons you'll have a fair bit more.

Insurance costs can vary a lot depending on car, job, age, where you live etc. Best idea would be to make a list of some cars, fill out some quotes as if buying them cars and having just passed your test and see what comes out cheapest. You'll have a rough idea then of what sort of car is best to get and the amount you're likely to be paying.

One way to get the cost down is add someone else as a named driver (make sure you are the main driver). So try adding family members. Get quotes for having just one person and quotes for having 2 people because you may find one person brings it down and another doesn't. Just to add, it can be useful to have a named driver too. For example, if the car needed to be moved for some reason and you couldn't do it then they could. Other peoples insurance may not cover them to move your car. Obviously you should only add someone who you are happy with possibly driving your car.

Whether you have enough to run/tax it would depend on how much fuel you'll use, what the tax is and if you need to do any repairs.

You don't have to get a car right away though.

Could you be added as a named driver to your Dads car? That way you can do a bit of driving still until you've saved up enough for a car.

Also, I know this was not part of your question, but perhaps you could see if there are any money saving options to help you save money elsewhere and have more than £200 a month.
    Edited by: "GamingDevil" 30th Aug 2016

You are looking at it the wrong way. You should look at what you do where you go, time it takes and how much you spend each month if not year. Then add up the costs of driving not forgetting that you will go out more and have more costs. Till recently when buying a car we worked on £1000 per year, so if my pay £1000 for a car don't expect to get more then a year without further costs like mot & repairs to keep it running. As already said insurance is a killer but if you intend to drive one day anyway it's best to start building the no claims up as soon as possible so that's one thing that should get cheaper after a year or more.

I've heard about these car sharing clubs, why not look into them. I think you pay a set amount and get to have a car when you want it within the rules. Perhaps best way is to get the licence sorted and think of options while you do that. You never know perhaps your income will increase, so take it one step at a time.

If you get your license as soon as possible as others have said but find you dont need a car for a few years then you can get a yaris on a monthly pcp agreement for 230 with first years insurance included. The only catch being you need to hold a license for two years. Was the cheapest way for me to get a reliable car without paying through the nose for first years insurance. The downside is just the two year clause.

acj7745

No. I wouldn't have thought so. Depends how far you're going I suppose … No. I wouldn't have thought so. Depends how far you're going I suppose but that figure represents 2/3 of my monthly fuel bill!To put in to perspective. I run a 320cdi s class. £25 /month tax, £60 / insurance, £300/month fuel and I put away £50 / month away for repairs. This doesn't include tyres, MOTs etc. It adds up. At 28 the insurance is still dear for me, this is unavoidable, 6 years no claims but I'm under 30.

£3,600 a year for fuel is extremely high though, the S-Class is rather wasteful and even then you must be doing at least 20,000 miles per year.

A more typical figure would be around £100 per month/£1200 per year and if you're going to be doing slightly less miles than average (say, 7000-8000 annually) and pick a car that returns fuel economy in the sixties then you can easily halve that.

There are also electric cars where fuel cost runs to about a third for the same amount of mileage, although you would need a house with a driveway to install the charger.

Peugeot-Citroen do a lease scheme (Just Add Fuel/Simply Drive) where they include insurance, servicing etc. and the cheapest models there work out to under £200 a month.

So I'd say you could definitely manage it within £250, and quite possibly within £200 with a bit of looking.

I think the main point to consider here is that by the sounds of it you have £200 a month disposable income - as in your only free money to spend on yourself? If this is the case, spending this all on a car leaves you no money to spend (unless I am misunderstanding)?

If this is the case, do not get a car, as you will be able to drive places (if you can afford a car - it is pushing it with insurance/petrol costs tbh) and nothing else...that would be miserable. That would also leave you no buffer for unexpected costs, rent increases or one off costs out of the blue.

As someone who recently passed his test at the age of 30, I cannot stress enough how much you should take up your dads generous offer and take lessons/pass your test. For a couple of reasons. 1) your financial circumstances may change in the future (new job or payrise) and you might suddenly be able to buy a car, and could act straight away. 2) You will be using up the 2 year probation period while not driving (Currently 6 points in first 2 years and you lose your license) - not a major deal, but a still a positive.

If you do decide to get a car, it might be worth considering something like a VW Up. They are great small cars, with VW build quality, and can be got on PCP finance for £99 a month and £99 deposit. The plus side would be no unexpected repair costs or MOT's to worry about for 3 years, and being able to budget a fixed cost each month.

acj7745

No. I wouldn't have thought so. Depends how far you're going I suppose … No. I wouldn't have thought so. Depends how far you're going I suppose but that figure represents 2/3 of my monthly fuel bill!To put in to perspective. I run a 320cdi s class. £25 /month tax, £60 / insurance, £300/month fuel and I put away £50 / month away for repairs. This doesn't include tyres, MOTs etc. It adds up. At 28 the insurance is still dear for me, this is unavoidable, 6 years no claims but I'm under 30.

To put this in perspective I run an i10 09 plate, £30/year tax, £20/month insurance, about £40/month fuel and in the last 3 years only repair costs have been tyres and window wipers. Similar age and half the no claims.

Original Poster

thanks all. great advice will focus on getting my licence.

Have you thought about a motorbike instead? I understand they aren't for everyone! but you can still get around and they are loads cheaper. Can pick one up for less than a grand that still has warranty, they are better on fuel, tax and most importantly for a new driver, insurance.. Looking more like £200 - 500 even on a CBT as apposed to the 1.5-2.5k on a car.

Insurance is usually the biggest killer for most new drivers, However it can literally half after the first year of no claims making it more affordable.

I'd just get a small old banger for the first year, something with a years mot, Anything under £500 is pretty much disposable, If something major goes wrong then just scrap it and get something else, you've only lost a bit.!.

I see it like this, Have an older car, perhaps £1000 and spend £500 on repairs it is still much cheaper than having a brand new car at £15,000.

They can both be written off the same and being a new driver you're much more likely to have an accident.!

Insurance isn't going to be getting cheaper anytime soon, Although would probably go down the older you get, Having a license invaluable, It opens more doors to employment too etc..

Good luck.!.

acj7745

​ 600-700 is probably cheapest u will ever see for a merc. my last a4 the insurance was similar 50 a month with 9 year no claim bonus n bought a Skoda next insurance went down to 335 a year and same engine 1.9
    bought transporter for work same 1.9 TDI engine insurance cost me 3500 now year coming to end first renewal quote I got is 1800 so trying to beat that

A tip for getting insurance quotes - add someone as second driver. Your Mum or Nan. Licence is not necessary.
    I got insurance quote for a 2.5, 5 cylinder, twin cam car for myself - £350pa. At suggestion of broker I put my wife on as a learner and it dropped to £220. She's only got a provisional licence!!
    The broker said it was probably because the insurance company takes the view that the Woman will act as a sobering influence. Whatever the reason, it worked and still does.

Lots of good advice above, definitely get the licence, its going to be useful throughout your life and may help your career. You can afford a car, my local Trade Centre is offering loads of 2 year old Corsa's (good 1st car) for 99 down then 20/week. The insurance shouldn't be over a grand if you get a black box policy unless you live in a very bad area.
    Question is, do you really need one at this stage?

brendanhickey

Many things affect premiums , not just car value.

You will have to give up the drinks and drugs, and probably sex as well because you'll not have any money to feed her with drink.
    As above get the license and then get an older woman with a car. Jobs a good yin.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?915
      2. Back to European satellite tv32
      3. How long do we think it’ll be until USB C is considered as safe and univers…11
      4. Cheapest way to call landline, UK to Ireland78

See more discussions