Can I ask a quick WIndows XP question, please?

Found 12th Jun 2009
If I zip a folder up using WinZip, can I add to it after without having to unzip the folder again?

Thanks

1. Misc
  2. Windows
13 Comments

yes, you can zip up zip files.

That's not what he's asking!

You can open the zip file and then drag items into the folder that you want to add them too (drag them onto the Winzip windows I mean).

You don't need to unzip the whole lot and then re-zip it up.

HTH.

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;5473010

yes, you can zip up zip files.

Sorry I don't get you - I want to zip a folder into .rar but would like to put more things in the same folder later, can I do that? Or will I have to extract the files again, first?

Thanks

Same applies to .rar files

black knight;5473031

That's not what he's asking!You can open the zip file and then drag items … That's not what he's asking!You can open the zip file and then drag items into the folder that you want to add them too (drag them onto the Winzip windows I mean).You don't need to unzip the whole lot and then re-zip it up.HTH.

Mrs.Z;5473033

Sorry I don't get you - I want to zip a folder into .rar but would like … Sorry I don't get you - I want to zip a folder into .rar but would like to put more things in the same folder later, can I do that? Or will I have to extract the files again, first?Thanks

Sorry, misread the question :oops:

Yes, you can drag and drop files into it, or open the application (WinRar) and then choose "Add Files..."

Original Poster

Thanks very much.

[FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Red"]Mrs[/COLOR].Z[/FONT] :thumbsup:

Banned

black knight;5473031

That's not what he's asking! .

starsparkle2311;5473138

lol, it might have been quicker just to try it for yourself and see what … lol, it might have been quicker just to try it for yourself and see what happened:p

Are you crazy? That would involve independent thought, and not relying on a group of unknowns to advise on every little thing :whistling:

Babbabooey;5473158

Are you crazy? That would involve independent thought, and not relying … Are you crazy? That would involve independent thought, and not relying on a group of [COLOR=Blue]rude and obnoxious[/COLOR] unknowns to advise on every little thing :whistling:

+1

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;5473138

lol, it might have been quicker just to try it for yourself and see what … lol, it might have been quicker just to try it for yourself and see what happened:p

Babbabooey;5473158

Are you crazy? That would involve independent thought, and not relying … Are you crazy? That would involve independent thought, and not relying on a group of unknowns to advise on every little thing :whistling:

starsparkle2311;5473167

lol:p

Well thank you but the files I am zipping up are estimated to take 1hr 40 minutes to zip up so it WAS a damn sight quicker to ask on here

And the answerererers got some rep so good news all round :-D

Mrs.Z;5473033

Sorry I don't get you - I want to zip a folder into .rar but would like … Sorry I don't get you - I want to zip a folder into .rar but would like to put more things in the same folder later, can I do that? Or will I have to extract the files again, first?

The contents of the folder are being copied into the rar file so once you've finished you've two entirely seperate sets of files, one lot in a folder and one lot in a rar file. Nothing you do to one will affect the other.

If you were asking whether you can add files to the rar file without recreating it then I'm not sure. Well I am, and you can do it but it may be recompressing the whole thing behind the scenes so it may take just as long as zipping up the whole folder again in the first place.

p.s. I don't think this question has got anything to do with Windows XP.

p.p.s. Winzip can create rar files now?

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;5475225

The contents of the folder are being copied into the rar file so once … The contents of the folder are being copied into the rar file so once you've finished you've two entirely seperate sets of files, one lot in a folder and one lot in a rar file. Nothing you do to one will affect the other.If you were asking whether you can add files to the rar file without recreating it then I'm not sure. Well I am, and you can do it but it may be recompressing the whole thing behind the scenes so it may take just as long as zipping up the whole folder again in the first place.p.s. I don't think this question has got anything to do with Windows XP.p.p.s. Winzip can create rar files now?

LOL! I aint got a clue what I am talking about, just tryiong to free some space on my rather old 30gb laptop drive! :w00t:

Mrs.Z;5476032

LOL! I aint got a clue what I am talking about, just tryiong to free some … LOL! I aint got a clue what I am talking about, just tryiong to free some space on my rather old 30gb laptop drive! :w00t:

What he's saying is even though you can drag files into an archive, although it's a one step operation to just drag and drop, inside it might have to unpack/repack everything else inside first which means taking a lot longer than it really should.

It's just something to bear in mind should the operation take a little longer than expected!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Invisalign dental braces in London22
    2. Whey protien629
    3. Gearbest: Order - Nowhere to be seen...811
    4. Rugged Android Phone/Tablet68

See more discussions