Can I ask for a free stair Gate from my daughters health visitor..?

Found 19th Aug 2014
Hi all, I will be seeing my daughters health visitor soon for her 8-11 month check up, I was told by a friend to ask for a stair gate and fireplace cover as I could get this free, has anyone received this free before and would I have to be claiming any certain benefits? All I get is child benefit..
Community Updates
63 Comments
Not heard about free from the heath visitor, but you could try asking on your local freecycle group? Usually someone local who needs the space!
No you can't you have to buy them your self
I heard of something like this before few years ago where they provide safety things for doors, windows, etc.

But I always thought it is better to buy it yourself, your kids after all and looking after them is your job
Depends on various factors, as I believe these days you can get anything you want.

What country you are from.

What benefits you are on.

How well you know the system
Buy it yourself
these comments though.. ya'll are harsh ha... id say if you want to know ask your health visitor now a forum :P if you cant afford to buy one full price ebayyyy or gumtree
the sure start centres used to sell them at reduced prices, but not give them away maybe the health visitors sell them cheaply you would have to ask
iyesha87

these comments though.. ya'll are harsh ha... id say if you want to know … these comments though.. ya'll are harsh ha... id say if you want to know ask your health visitor now a forum :P if you cant afford to buy one full price ebayyyy or gumtree

if you cant afford a stair gate then you really shouldnt be having children lol
chocci

if you cant afford a stair gate then you really shouldnt be having … if you cant afford a stair gate then you really shouldnt be having children lol

lol behave lol i cant comment on that i had a son through the implant ( you avoid) but it still happens!!
I got these free from sure start I think about 5 years ago. I wasn't on any benefits so not really sure why I got them....anyways I believe you don't get them anymore.
no free stair gate, but our local sure start playgroup sometimes has little handouts like toothbrushes, safety lock pack, drinking bottle.
iyesha87

these comments though.. ya'll are harsh ha... id say if you want to know … these comments though.. ya'll are harsh ha... id say if you want to know ask your health visitor now a forum :P if you cant afford to buy one full price ebayyyy or gumtree

Thanks iyesha87
I put up a question on here just to get helpful answers but some people
Don't have anything better to do than judge!!
faqbeaut

Thanks iyesha87I put up a question on here just to get helpful answers … Thanks iyesha87I put up a question on here just to get helpful answers but some people Don't have anything better to do than judge!!

when bordem strikes... lol people think a struggling mother has no rights to motherhood ha .. kids are so expensive any free things are gladly accepted even if you are working so i get it
whatsThePoint

op are you saying you have a kid at the moment but no stair guard because … op are you saying you have a kid at the moment but no stair guard because you don't think its worth spending that sort of money to protect your kid?

I don't need the stair gate at the moment my daughter is 6 months she's just learning to sit up
I'll be getting in a couple of weeks time.
It's not about saving money my daughter has everything she needs and will get whatever she needs on the future also she's my main priority!
People posting pathetic comments must be living off benefits themselves, I'm a first time mother and work part time
Its just something I heard so I thought I'd put this question up to get appropriate answers!
I saw someone from our local children's centre a few days ago that came to see my daughter for her 6 month check up and he told me that ask your health visitor about a free stair gate and that if you don't ask then you won't get, so if someone from the Nhs is giving me this information then I'm obviously going to think its right, I just wanted others sensible opinions...
whatsThePoint

so only 6 months but soon to be having her "8-11 month check up"

She's 7 months tomorrow And will be having her "8-11" months check up next month thanks!!
I got free from sure start live in Northern Ireland.
I was given a free home safety starter kit that contained some door locks for kitchen cupboards, some table corners and some other things - I already had all these things so didnt take the pack. No chance health visitor is going to give our stairgates - I certainly hope not as it would be coming out of taxpayers pockets!
ellie27

I was given a free home safety starter kit that contained some door locks … I was given a free home safety starter kit that contained some door locks for kitchen cupboards, some table corners and some other things - I already had all these things so didnt take the pack. No chance health visitor is going to give our stairgates - I certainly hope not as it would be coming out of taxpayers pockets!

Oh well we'll have to see....
I think link workers that are based at sure start centres can help you source certain items like beds, so yes, I guess stair gates and fire guards. So you may get some help, but I think it depends on your income. If you can afford a stair gate, then I think it's a bit cheeky asking for one, as they're trying to help those that can't.
Dont b harsh! Come on hotukdeal admin this cant be tolerated.wake up!
arianah2014

Dont b harsh! Come on hotukdeal admin this cant be tolerated.wake up!

Thanks arianah2014
I used to love hukd and thought of us all as one big family, but I was wrong.
I agree hukd Admin do need to wake up!!
I'm going to see if there's more that can be done as bullying should not be tolerated..
My daughter has just had two stairgates supplied to her. Her health visitor gave her a referral letter and she took it to her local chemist who gave her the stairgates. I presume the health visitor tries to see potential danger or risk to the little ones and helps to avert it, WITHOUT BEING JUDGEMENTAL?! Channel Island resident but I would think the government copying u.k. as they usually do.

clothnappytree.com/for…329
if you are in a qualifying area you will need to fill a form like this one
http://www.rospa.com/homesafety/info/ni/homesafety-checklist-children-2012.pdf
you can get
Stair Gate
Edge Protector
Spark Guard
Bath Mat
Fire Guard
Corner Cushions
Window restrictor
CO Detector
Multi Purpose Catch
Medicine Cabinet
Blind Cord Safety Device
Double Door Handle Lock
faqbeaut

People posting pathetic comments must be living off benefits themselves, … People posting pathetic comments must be living off benefits themselves, I'm a first time mother and work part time Its just something I heard so I thought I'd put this question up to get appropriate answers!I saw someone from our local children's centre a few days ago that came to see my daughter for her 6 month check up and he told me that ask your health visitor about a free stair gate and that if you don't ask then you won't get, so if someone from the Nhs is giving me this information then I'm obviously going to think its right, I just wanted others sensible opinions...

i find it strange that you say the only benefits you get is child benefit that would suggest your household income is sufficiant to be able to afford a stairgate and fireguard.im only saying because that is all i get and have decent income,leave the freebies for those that really need them or check gumtree etc i gave away 3 stairgates and fireguard on there.
jamstaruk1972

i find it strange that you say the only benefits you get is child benefit … i find it strange that you say the only benefits you get is child benefit that would suggest your household income is sufficiant to be able to afford a stairgate and fireguard.im only saying because that is all i get and have decent income,leave the freebies for those that really need them or check gumtree etc i gave away 3 stairgates and fireguard on there.

Apart from just reading I get child benefit did you not read anything else??
Maybe not..
It says "I was told by a friend that I could get this free, has anyone received this before? And would I have to be claiming certain benefits?"
Meaning.. Is it available for everyone or Those that receive benefits other than child benefit.
So I'm not being greedy as I thought it was available for everyone so that's why I put up this question to get appropriate answers and not to be judged!
Also my household income is sufficent as I work part time, if I was that greedy I wouldn't work and just be living off other benefits, as for child benefit everyone's entitled thank you.
faqbeaut

Thanks arianah2014I used to love hukd and thought of us all as one big … Thanks arianah2014I used to love hukd and thought of us all as one big family, but I was wrong.

What, you used to love HUKD a fortnight ago when you signed up?

Standards can't have slipped that much in two weeks surely?
faqbeaut

I agree hukd Admin do need to wake up!!I'm going to see if there's more … I agree hukd Admin do need to wake up!!I'm going to see if there's more that can be done as bullying should not be tolerated..

You are not being bullied. You just don't like the replies. Grow a thicker skin or don't post questions on an open forum.
So you say a comment like this "if you can't afford a stair gate then you shouldn't be having children is a nice thing to say?"
I never posted a question to get judged it was posted to get answers regarding this question!
sancho1983

What, you used to love HUKD a fortnight ago when you signed up? Standards … What, you used to love HUKD a fortnight ago when you signed up? Standards can't have slipped that much in two weeks surely?

Lol
faqbeaut

So you say a comment like this "if you can't afford a stair gate then you … So you say a comment like this "if you can't afford a stair gate then you shouldn't be having children is a nice thing to say?"I never posted a question to get judged it was posted to get answers regarding this question!

Hardly bullying oO

soh bypass?
faqbeaut

So you say a comment like this "if you can't afford a stair gate then you … So you say a comment like this "if you can't afford a stair gate then you shouldn't be having children is a nice thing to say?"I never posted a question to get judged it was posted to get answers regarding this question!

Whether you think it's 'nice' or not isn't relevant. It's not bullying. It's an opinion from a member about asking for free hand-outs.
wow who thoughts this question would have brought such controversy... :O
Pay for it yourself like everybody else does!
ceres

Whether you think it's 'nice' or not isn't relevant. It's not bullying. … Whether you think it's 'nice' or not isn't relevant. It's not bullying. It's an opinion from a member about asking for free hand-outs.

Telling me I shouldn't be having children isn't a comment it's an insult
Stick to the question and stop being so judgemental!
Anyways thanks to those that gave me appropriate answers and weren't judgemental
I see the trolls are out in force on this one, can the ones who have kids confirm they had £100k+ put aside before having kids, because having a job when they are born is no guarantee you will be in employment and good health for the next 18+ years
whatsThePoint

I see the trolls are out in force on this one, can the ones who have kids … I see the trolls are out in force on this one, can the ones who have kids confirm they had £100k+ put aside before having kids, because having a job when they are born is no guarantee you will be in employment and good health for the next 18+ years

i have a son.. no savings working full time... and he gets everything he needs.. even if my money does run out every month... and you know why?? because its my job to provide.. you never know how much it takes to raise a child until you have one.. im not rich but im not poor.. but my lil man is doing just fine
dcx_badass

It's not an opinion and it's certainly not an insult. It's a fact that if … It's not an opinion and it's certainly not an insult. It's a fact that if you can't afford children then you shouldn't be having them.

I can understand if you have a job and have a kid and can afford having a kid. but like me my work has had to price cuts. now i am the only one working and my GF is a stay at home mum with our kid at 10Months. after the price cut the kid gets look after and each month we have £50 to spend on us. but i can under stand if someone losses there job (to no fault of there own) to get some help as long as they do everything to find a new job. soon my GF will be looking for a part time job so that put some extra cash in our pockets we do not claim for anything bar child benefits. bad thing is tho before we had our little guy we just bought our 1st flat out right. that used up our cash that we had been saving up.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants