Can I book a flight and hotel separately on expedia within 24 hours and still get atol protection?

Found 22nd Jan
I am planning on booking hotel and flight though expedia but separately.

The advantage to this is I will be able to get free cancellation and pay at the hotel later which I can not with a package deal.

Would I still get ATOL protection certificate ? Do I have to book the flight then hotel or hotel then flight or does it not matter?

Help appreciated please

Thank you

Thanks
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
9 Comments
As far as I understand ,you only have the full ATOL protection if you book a package holiday . Even if you book your flight and hotel at the same time through Expedia you will not have that protection as it isn't a "Package holiday "
The common mistake, as rogparki says. You need holiday insurance. You need that anyway but many ignore that simple fact
rogparki2 h, 54 m ago

As far as I understand ,you only have the full ATOL protection if you book …As far as I understand ,you only have the full ATOL protection if you book a package holiday . Even if you book your flight and hotel at the same time through Expedia you will not have that protection as it isn't a "Package holiday "

For package holidays I believe they have to be atol protected but if the seller is atol registered they should offer it for just flight aswell check the tc and see what it says
Original Poster
MynameisM8 m ago

For package holidays I believe they have to be atol protected but if the …For package holidays I believe they have to be atol protected but if the seller is atol registered they should offer it for just flight aswell check the tc and see what it says

Just found this which says I would be fine

What is a 'flight plus' holiday? Which extra holidays are protected?

This is a holiday that includes a flight and at least one of the following:

Accommodation
Car hire

The different elements must be:

Booked on consecutive days, or earlier. Say you buy a flight on a Thursday morning, you still have until the end of Friday to book a hotel. It doesn't matter in which order the different components are booked.Booked using the same company.Bought using a booking website (not an airline website, see below) or high street travel store

moneysavingexpert.com/new…ded
adamwilko00718 m ago

Just found this which says I would be fine What is a 'flight plus' …Just found this which says I would be fine What is a 'flight plus' holiday? Which extra holidays are protected?This is a holiday that includes a flight and at least one of the following:AccommodationCar hireThe different elements must be:Booked on consecutive days, or earlier. Say you buy a flight on a Thursday morning, you still have until the end of Friday to book a hotel. It doesn't matter in which order the different components are booked.Booked using the same company.Bought using a booking website (not an airline website, see below) or high street travel storehttps://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2012/04/atol-travel-protection-scheme-extended

Haven't read that -but the problem was brought to light last year when Monarch went bust and Ryanair dropped many flights .

Yes the flights were protected and you got your money back or (if available ) an alternative flight . Unfortunately "consequential losses" ie your hotel , transfer cost was not covered . Great having a hotel booked in say Tenerife if you can't get there .

It may have changed since then ,but I know a lot of folks lost out . To be honest I used to book the elements separately and used to save 20% plus on a similar holiday . Over the last 5 or 6 years package holidays ( with Jet2 ,Thos Cook and Thomson) have been just as cheap - even cheaper than booking separately and obviously give you complete peace of mind .

I always check (when researching a holiday ) and once again this year ,better prices can be found with the major package holiday providers .
Original Poster
rogparki6 m ago

Haven't read that -but the problem was brought to light last year when …Haven't read that -but the problem was brought to light last year when Monarch went bust and Ryanair dropped many flights .Yes the flights were protected and you got your money back or (if available ) an alternative flight . Unfortunately "consequential losses" ie your hotel , transfer cost was not covered . Great having a hotel booked in say Tenerife if you can't get there . It may have changed since then ,but I know a lot of folks lost out . To be honest I used to book the elements separately and used to save 20% plus on a similar holiday . Over the last 5 or 6 years package holidays ( with Jet2 ,Thos Cook and Thomson) have been just as cheap - even cheaper than booking separately and obviously give you complete peace of mind .I always check (when researching a holiday ) and once again this year ,better prices can be found with the major package holiday providers .

Thanks I will double check but when I last checked Thomas Cook was £250 more for the same hotel and very similar flights time for two people.

I guess this is where you need backups pay on credit card and book hotel which has free cancellation /pay when you get there then you have only lost flight money at worst. Insurance is a bonus too I guess.

Do you have any recommendations on holiday insurance? I don't want to buy something which is not worth the paper it is written on. Looking for a provider who will actually help if I need them even if it does cost more
adamwilko00718 m ago

Thanks I will double check but when I last checked Thomas Cook was £250 …Thanks I will double check but when I last checked Thomas Cook was £250 more for the same hotel and very similar flights time for two people.I guess this is where you need backups pay on credit card and book hotel which has free cancellation /pay when you get there then you have only lost flight money at worst. Insurance is a bonus too I guess.Do you have any recommendations on holiday insurance? I don't want to buy something which is not worth the paper it is written on. Looking for a provider who will actually help if I need them even if it does cost more

Check your Bank for insurance - if you have a Nationwide flexaccount you already have European Travel Insurance . Many other Banks include this in their " packaged accounts " . Otherwise you can get it very cheaply , just check on TCB , Quidco or compare the market . It is important to have the insurance as soon as you book , in case you have an illness ,the insurance covers not being able to go (for various reasons) as well as the obvious medical stuff ,loss of baggage etc during your holiday

We like travelling with a decent baggage allowance (which is an expensive add on to flight costs ) . Maybe if you can survive on just cabin baggage (6 - 10Kg) you could beat the package price . As an example on our trip to Lanzarote this March hold baggage (15kg ) was about £25 per person each way (£100 extra on the holiday cost booking separately ) making the package via Thomas Cook (including 15kg hold baggage and transfers ) cheaper for us .
adamwilko00722nd Jan

Just found this which says I would be fine What is a 'flight plus' …Just found this which says I would be fine What is a 'flight plus' holiday? Which extra holidays are protected?This is a holiday that includes a flight and at least one of the following:AccommodationCar hireThe different elements must be:Booked on consecutive days, or earlier. Say you buy a flight on a Thursday morning, you still have until the end of Friday to book a hotel. It doesn't matter in which order the different components are booked.Booked using the same company.Bought using a booking website (not an airline website, see below) or high street travel storehttps://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2012/04/atol-travel-protection-scheme-extended

Having just implemented the system for generating these for a holiday company I can confirm the above. More information is available via the CAA's ATOL website
adamwilko00722nd Jan

Thanks I will double check but when I last checked Thomas Cook was £250 …Thanks I will double check but when I last checked Thomas Cook was £250 more for the same hotel and very similar flights time for two people.I guess this is where you need backups pay on credit card and book hotel which has free cancellation /pay when you get there then you have only lost flight money at worst. Insurance is a bonus too I guess.Do you have any recommendations on holiday insurance? I don't want to buy something which is not worth the paper it is written on. Looking for a provider who will actually help if I need them even if it does cost more

That's probably because Thomas Cook are also an airline so you would have been flying with them. Same with first choice. Personally, I always book separately as find it much cheaper and Travel insurance is dirt cheap.

Off to a villa with private pool in Lanzarote for 7 nights, car hire, flights with extra legroom and cases and cost £650 for two. If there were 4 of us going, it would have cost £200 each all in.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions