Expired

Can I buy a ticket with 16-25 Railcard and give it to someone else?

Found 16th Jan 2014
I know the information says 'non-transferable' but "Scare tactics" aside, could I just buy a ticket, give it to someone, and it not have anything printed on it that has any 16-25 markings?

9 Comments

A young person ticket always has YP on it, and more often than not they ask for your railcard with the photo id and the expiry of the railcard is on it too.
So no, it won't work.

A discounted ticket is only valid with a railcard, meaning the person should carry the railcard with the ticket when travelling.
Only the railcard holder can receive the discount and the ticket is not transferrable to anyone else.

A discounted ticket is only valid with a railcard, meaning the person should carry the railcard with the ticket when travelling.
Only the railcard holder can receive the discount and the ticket is not transferrable to anyone else.

You can buy it. you can give it to your friend, you can enjoy a coffee together while discussing who should pay the penalty fare he/she will be charged...
Edited by: "Ferris" 16th Jan 2014

personally I would try it. if u don't get away with it, nothing to lose other than the fare u would pay, if u do, result. no harm in trying.

kerryturl1

personally I would try it. if u don't get away with it, nothing to lose … personally I would try it. if u don't get away with it, nothing to lose other than the fare u would pay, if u do, result. no harm in trying.

Not sure but could this be fraud and a criminal offence if there is a deliberate attempt to defraud the railway company?
They will always ask for the card and do a face check. Railcard cards will have YP on them as Mayfair says
Wouldn't risk it unless it was for your identical twin

kerryturl1

personally I would try it. if u don't get away with it, nothing to lose … personally I would try it. if u don't get away with it, nothing to lose other than the fare u would pay, if u do, result. no harm in trying.

this idea is senseless as your friend will have to pay the full single fare when the conductor checks the ticket and then asks your friend to pay the full fare. they won't be able to receive any discount that they would have otherwise been entitled to i.e. for an advance fare. I use the train regularly and cannot recall the last time my tickets weren't checked....

No! The ticket collector will ask to see your yp card.

Look, im a little bit of a law & order person. If you do get away with it, its still cheating
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions