Groups

Can I buy an adapter to run my childrens portable DVD player from the mains?

Hi We have a portable twin screen DVD player that only has a cable to connect it to the car lighter. I am going away for the weekend and would like to plug it into the mains to run inside the house. Can this be done or is it incar only? Thanks

30 Comments

Banned

Yes....

You need to make sure you can adjust the settings on it though to change voltage and you'll probably need one with different attachments to fit the power socket

Original Poster

ODB_69;2487093

Yes....You need to make sure you can adjust the settings on it though to … Yes....You need to make sure you can adjust the settings on it though to change voltage and you'll probably need one with different attachments to fit the power socket

thanks for replying

Change the settings on the DVD player? Would that be on the menu or is it a switch somewhere?

Banned

kidcat;2487102

thanks for replying :)Change the settings on the DVD player? Would that … thanks for replying :)Change the settings on the DVD player? Would that be on the menu or is it a switch somewhere?

No settings on the adapter.....

You'll need one with a switch on the back to change the power...

Trying to find one on Argos but struggling but I know I got one from there a while back

Something like this from ]Argos would be ideal. Half price at £7.49

http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/9828915A66UC290095M.jpg

does it work differently cos its two screens? cos ours is just one screen and we can run off either and dont change settings. I bought a spare mains off ebay-came with a case and headphones etc for about £8 delivered. Lead works on all our dvds(three different makes)

Banned

Yh thats it Sy...cheers been searching for the wrong name then

Syzable;2487119

Something like this from ]Argos would be ideal. Half price at £7.49

these didnt work which is strange but we tried several of the multi ones before buying the one of ebay..

I bought one from the below fleabay site for when I go camping (electric pitch)
    I too have twin screens and it works purfect
    *********.co.uk/Mai…318

ODB_69;2487131

Yh thats it Sy...cheers been searching for the wrong name then

No probs. Searched for multi adapter

Original Poster

Thanks all you are great. Will investigate them all and get one bought today., Otherwise I would be suffering with two little people screaming for Dora and Diego at 6am on Saturday morning. This may buy me a valuable extra 30 mins quiet!

Banned

Syzable;2487154

No probs. Searched for multi adapter

Mmmm...

Thats what I searched for, must have had a typo in

Banned

You can only plug a mains adaptor into the player if it has a mains input socket. You must use the correct voltage / amps else you could seriously damage the player (it may well be written on the underside of the player. e.g mine states DC 9v 2.2A).

What make / model of player is it?

we got one from maplins - also use it for camera (- saves on batteries:thumbsup:) as it has all different settings and connections as the argos pic shows - great price that

csiman;2487243

You can only plug a mains adaptor into the player if it has a mains input … You can only plug a mains adaptor into the player if it has a mains input socket. You must use the correct voltage / amps else you could seriously damage the player (it may well be written on the underside of the player. e.g mine states DC 9v 2.2A).What make / model of player is it?

I assume it has seeing as it takes a cigarette lighter?

Csi is right about the voltage and amps, you need to set the voltage correctly on the adaptor, BUT you also need to buy one that supplies enough amps, mine needs 1A, but csi's needs 2.2A (his is obviously better than mine!). So you need an adaptor that will supply at least that, I think the one posted earlier is quite low power so probably won't work.
    It's a 2500mA (2.5A) supply, should be fine unless you need more voltage, ie 9v or 12v.

Other thing to watch out for is that sometimes the high voltage is only available at a lower amperage. ie 12v only available at 1A whereas you can have 2A at 7v. Not sure if they still make them like this but I had to take one back to Argos years ago as it wouldn't do 1A at 12v. Not that they told you anywhere before you'd paid your money and got it home!

maybe thats why the multi didnt work with ours? amps? i dont understand all this just know the multi didnt work and kidcat may not get any peace if he gets the wrong one!

Banned

louloo;2487283

maybe thats why the multi didnt work with ours? amps? i dont understand … maybe thats why the multi didnt work with ours? amps? i dont understand all this just know the multi didnt work and kidcat may not get any peace if he gets the wrong one!

post your make / model

Original Poster

Its a venturer PVS19231

Portable DVD player with dual widescreen LCD display DC in 12V -3.0A

If that makes any sense to anyone?

Thanks all.

we have the philips one that takes an ipod but daughter has it hidden so dont know the model..sons is the acoustic solutions PDVD309.
    I bought a gadget bag on ebay..but can see the ones in argos dont include the mains lead..

kidcat;2487329

Its a venturer PVS19231 Portable DVD player with dual widescreen LCD … Its a venturer PVS19231 Portable DVD player with dual widescreen LCD display DC in 12V -3.0AIf that makes any sense to anyone?Thanks all.

So you need an adapter that will supply 12 volts at 3 amps, quite powerful. The one from argos is only 2.5A. Make sure that it will supply the 3A at 12 volts, not just at lower voltages.

kidcat;2487393

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=42702&doy=9m7http://www.maplin.co.uk/?clickref=78909x22569941&C=AffilWin54760would either of these two be ok?

The links don't seem to work?

kidcat;2487393

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=42702&doy=9m7http://www.maplin.co.uk/?clickref=78909x22569941&C=AffilWin54760would either of these two be ok?

The Maplin site seems to be having trouble at the moment but the first one is the one you want.

:thumbsup:

Banned

Ebay item 120279857347 would be ideal (ends in 5 hours and currently £3.99 incl P&P). Seller has lots of these for sale.

Banned

Jumpingphil;2487559

The Maplin site seems to be having trouble at the moment but the first … The Maplin site seems to be having trouble at the moment but the first one is the one you want.:thumbsup:

Wrong! The first one is for a cigarette lighter supply which kidcat already has.

csiman;2488044

Wrong! The first one is for a cigarette lighter supply which kidcat … Wrong! The first one is for a cigarette lighter supply which kidcat already has.

Right!

I think it supplies you a cigarette lighter like in the car, you can then plug yours into it.

Original Poster

csiman;2488039

Ebay item 120279857347 would be ideal (ends in 5 hours and … Ebay item 120279857347 would be ideal (ends in 5 hours and currently £3.99 incl P&P). Seller has lots of these for sale.

Thnaks for looking that up, Sheffield is a little far and I leave here first thing on Friday so probably wouldnt be here, but it gives a good idea of what I should look for.

You have all been great guys, I will callin Maplins later and see what they have in store.

Thanks for the advice.

csiman;2488039

Ebay item 120279857347 would be ideal (ends in 5 hours and … Ebay item 120279857347 would be ideal (ends in 5 hours and currently £3.99 incl P&P). Seller has lots of these for sale.

Only if the plug is the right size, doesn't look like you can change it.

Also add VAT onto the price.

kidcat;2488505

Thnaks for looking that up, Sheffield is a little far and I leave here … Thnaks for looking that up, Sheffield is a little far and I leave here first thing on Friday so probably wouldnt be here, but it gives a good idea of what I should look for.You have all been great guys, I will callin Maplins later and see what they have in store.Thanks for the advice.:)

Check my post above. Personally the one from maplin looks ok.

csiman;2488044

Wrong! The first one is for a cigarette lighter supply which kidcat … Wrong! The first one is for a cigarette lighter supply which kidcat already has.

Read the post again. :x

Original Poster

Benjimoron;2488594

Check my post above. Personally the one from maplin looks ok.

I did, thats the one I am going into Maplins for, thinking I may buy two, that way I can run some of the other car stuff from it, and not carry loads of different cables with me. Thanks guys!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Microsoft approve Hyperkin's remake of the OG Xbox controller22
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047144
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1946
      4. love affairs1958

See more discussions