Can I cancel mobile SIM only contract after having USED the SIM (3 days) - mobiles.co.uk?

Found 11th May 2016
Hi everyone! Can anyone please help - how to cancel a SIM only contract that I bought with Mobiles.co.uk? I bought a SIM only contract on 5th May and have used the SIM in my mobile for last 3 days. Unfortunately I am having too many issues (already!) with Vodafone helpdesk, my number porting is screwed for last 3 days, so I have cancelled the porting request and want to cancel this contract. On the Mobiles.co.uk website, they seem to suggest that if SIM card is inserted into mobile, you CAN'T cancel the contract (what happened to 14 days cooling period?). Can anyone help with advice on this matter? Many thanks in advance!
Community Updates
18 Comments
By law you can cancel within first 14 days -

"You are in your cooling off period

Under current UK law you can cancel a mobile contract within the first 14 days without the need to give a reason to the provider if you have either:

Ordered online

Ordered by phone

Ordered by post"

money.co.uk/gui…htm
Edited by: "jco83" 11th May 2016
Original Poster
quote from their 'RETURNS, CANCELLATION AND EXCHANGE POLICY

'Ensure the Sim/Handset/Free gift has not been used (use signifies acceptance of your contract).

..Doesn't sound very promising. I think they will screw me for having used the SIM...?? oO
Edited by: "emmkay" 11th May 2016
Call them
Original Poster
jco83

By law you can cancel within first 14 days

Thanks jco83 for your reply. I have heard too of the 14 days cooling off period - but looking at the return policy (quoted above) - I have serious doubts. Would you agree?

I would call them but a) they are closed by now and 2) its a premium number. I have sent them message via online account already but would like to know beforehand what to expect and what my rights might be.
Isnt the contract with vodafone tho? I wouldnt bother with mobiles.co.uk id just speak to voda direct
Original Poster
jase.2

Isnt the contract with vodafone tho? I wouldnt bother with mobiles.co.uk … Isnt the contract with vodafone tho? I wouldnt bother with mobiles.co.uk id just speak to voda direct

The contract isn't with Voda unfortunately - it was a cashback deal purchased through mobiles.co.uk
The contract is with mobiles.co.uk.
Vodafone will advise you to contact them. distance selling rules will allow the return though.
emmkay

The contract isn't with Voda unfortunately - it was a cashback deal … The contract isn't with Voda unfortunately - it was a cashback deal purchased through mobiles.co.uk

Yeah i got a sim only voda thru mobiles ealier in the year, voda screwed up the number port so i dealt direct with them to cease the contract - nothing do to with mobiles once you activate it
If you took out the contract on the understanding they would port your number from day one, then they have breached this so you can use that as a reason to cancel.
emmkay

Thanks jco83 for your reply. I have heard too of the 14 days cooling off … Thanks jco83 for your reply. I have heard too of the 14 days cooling off period - but looking at the return policy (quoted above) - I have serious doubts. Would you agree?I would call them but a) they are closed by now and 2) its a premium number. I have sent them message via online account already but would like to know beforehand what to expect and what my rights might be.

To save on premium rate call why not try an App such as say no to 0870. For me it came up with a few no.s eg CS was 01509 615474
Good Luck.
Original Poster
Many thanks everyone who have posted comments in response. I will call Vodafone tomorrow and check if they can cancel my contract. Mobiles.co.uk can say 'sell and forget' but Voda probably has some ethics and liability. Watch out for update tomorrow. Good night..
30 day Guarantee

Also, would this not apply???

Good luck.

R
Edited by: "reddeviluk" 11th May 2016
Had a right nightmare with Vodafone recently, From Mobiles.co.uk too on a cashback deal. Resulted in me cancelling the contract with Vodafone. They still sent me letters saying welcome to vodafone, Then another letter with a bill.

I contacted them loads of times and they insisted that they had cancelled the contract, I wouldn't be billed, The direct debit would be cancelled etc...

Well gets to the bill date and surprise surprise they took the money or at least tried too, I had to make an indemnity claim with the bank.!.

It was easier to deal with the bank, Vodafone had already insisted it was cancelled, I lost quite a bit of hair and to be frank if I was in the same room as the guy who stuffed my contract up they'd be six feet under.!.
I recently cancelled a contract with mobiles.co.uk. Everything on the website stated that you couldn't cancel if a sim had been inserted. Simply called them and quoted my consumer rights. Contract cancelled straight away. I'd leave the direct debit open for the first month though as Vodafone will want some money for the pro rata adjustment on minutes and data used. But after that I would cancel that as well.
exactly that. you can cancel within 14 days but you'll be billed for any days of allowances you used, so 3/30 x monthly cost plus maybe an admin/set up fee which is dependent on the network
You're entitled to cancel within 14 days, you need to contact mobiles.co.uk and inform them of this. I would call them to do this for convenience however I would also be sure to send them a copy in writing for legal reasons and keep evidence for your safety, an email should suffice.

They will charge you for any allowance which has been used but this is acceptable, so do not cancel your direct debit. Perhaps ask them to calculate this charge when you call them to notify.

You also need to ask if they require their equipment (the SIM card) to be returned.

If they are not agreeing with you I suggest that you read a little about your consumer regulations. Perhaps quoting this to them would help. However they are required to the cancel at your request within 14 days.

Edited by: "joshp" 12th May 2016
Original Poster
Many thanks everyone for some fantastic replies - very helpful and first hand, first rate info!

Update - Vodafone couldn't fix the porting after 1 week and have promised to resolve it by Monday.

Mobiles.co.uk called to apologise and took off 2 weeks line rental as courtesy (will be sent by cheque!). I spoke to them about option to cancel the contract and even though they didn't say yes explicitly, but seemed to reasonable / open about it. I understand they don't want people to cancel willy-nilly but where appropriate, they will take action as per the law (cooling off period / right to cancel etc.)

So far Vodafone have not taken any responsibility for their poor poor service standards. I get only Vodafone signal at my place, so very limited choice, so I want this damn porting to work on Monday! Will post a final reply in next couple of days. Hope won't have to cancel contract. Thanks again and enjoy the Sunday everyone
Original Poster
Important - If you buy mobile.co.uk sim, to beging with, DO NOT use it for personal calls but only for calls to Vodafone / to test sim, so if needed to return it, its easy. Else they try slam you with BS.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants