Groups

Can I Cash Old Cheque

Just cleared out my wallet and have found a cheque from 15/08/09. Will I still be able to cash it? Or do they expire after a month or so?

J

15 Comments

Supermod

Usually valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

well i sent one into my sons school at the start of term august and it got cashed after christmas think it was roundabout february because i remember being shocked at how long it was! and it was only meant to be held as a deposit!

Yh u got 6 mmonths in total:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Thankyouverymuch! J

lol I have an old customer who is 81 and am helping her move home..............she found a postal order dated 24th October 1969 and asked me if it could be cashed lmao. we really did have a right good laugh about it.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2co0r5g.jpg

Definately 6 months validity. I found one that was 2 years old the other day. Shame its useless!

pinkkitty2007;6530783

Definately 6 months validity. I found one that was 2 years old the other … Definately 6 months validity. I found one that was 2 years old the other day. Shame its useless!

Yes and No possibly. If it was a company that issued it sometimes you can get them to reissue a new one in exchange. Dont know if they are legally required to do so though.

Banned

pinkkitty2007;6530783

Definately 6 months validity. I found one that was 2 years old the other … Definately 6 months validity. I found one that was 2 years old the other day. Shame its useless!

I was in the same situation, asked the bank and they stated that they did not expire. Where does it state that they expire anyhow - I've never seen that in my bank.

Was approx a tenner, but don't think the value was of significance.

Deposit it anyhow, unless it's from a trusted friend who might not be expecting a late claim.

In general to allow for accounting periods in financial institutions cheques are valid for 6 months. After this date it's up to the bank whether they will allow you to present the cheque........but you can still lay claim for the money for 6 years by law :thumbsup:

Banned

pinkkitty2007;6530783

its not useless at all. This 6 months rule is an old wives tale I reckon.

They barely check signatures let alone dates :thumbsup:

company cheques do not actually expire - what happens is the company will put a stop on all cheques over a certain age at the banks - at the council we stop our after 3 months - 6 months is the norm though for a company. If you have a cheque you can contact the person who sent it to you and get another one - you are legally entitled to the money and can ask for it for up to 7 years

Banned

Oooh. Thats good news. Ive got about 4 cheques from share dividends for about £35 to £40 each. (Just never got round to going to the bank)... and a £50 cheque from my birthday! I thought it was lost cash.......sounds like a nice £200 windfall!

guv;6536345

Oooh. Thats good news. Ive got about 4 cheques from share dividends for … Oooh. Thats good news. Ive got about 4 cheques from share dividends for about £35 to £40 each. (Just never got round to going to the bank)... and a £50 cheque from my birthday! I thought it was lost cash.......sounds like a nice £200 windfall!

I paid in a really old share dividend cheque earlier this year, around a year or so old, and it passed through and paid OK. Some companies charge for reissues, but I had a couple that i never got from 1 company and they just charged one small fee, rather than 2.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866385
    2. word association Game74044549
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047161
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767399

See more discussions