Expired

Can i change address on my car insurance policy??

13 replies
Found 8th May
Hi,

I want to change my car insurance policy address to a new address.

The place where i am living at the moment is sligtly cheaper. I just wanna know can i change the policy address online just to check the premium on new place ??

help would be appreciated.

13 Comments

I think you have to change the address or your insurance will be void. which means you aren't legal. unfortunately you'll just have to deal with any price increases.

You need to change your address anyhow if you are living there otherwise they may not pay out if there was an incident at "home". There may be admin charge for this. Similarly you need to change address on registration doc and driving licence as well to stay within the law. Try new online quote for same car although I've found same company varies as new customers get discounts rather than rewarding loyal ones.

You will need to contact the insurer for change of address and there may also be an admin fee on top of the increase/decrease due to the new address.

did this once and refused to pay the fee to amend the policy because it was scandalous. mysteriously the renewal made it to my new address no problem...

just get a new quote from gocompare or something.. using your new post code

that will give you an idea of how much, obviously you need to change your address anyway so it's kind of irrelevant

Just ask your existing insurer to quote the change at this stage, shouldn't cost anything to get a quote.

Original Poster

thanks all.. great help
much appreciated

Once you notify them that you have moved, they are duty bound to ensure that your policy is valid.

Also be aware that there are several rating factors such as the area you have moved to, the amount of claims & thefts in that area (for example: you may think it's a nicer area but there has been more claims & losses in that area in recent years, or the other way round.), where you keep your car over night and has your annual mileage changed.

It's advisable that you update your address as soon as possible as you want your policy to be valid. If you have an incident but have incorrect details you may not be able to claim and you'll be paying for nothing.

You have to change it... I moved few months back... Plus my premium went up by about 30 quid plus because it's my change they stuck an admin fee of about 20 quid on.

rhinopaul

You will need to contact the insurer for change of address and there may … You will need to contact the insurer for change of address and there may also be an admin fee on top of the increase/decrease due to the new address.

Yeh, this ^

They usually charge an admin fee check your paperwork
I got charged £25 this time but on a previous policy was charged £55

Aviva policies can be updated online for free, they are re-rated to take into account the risk status of the address but no admin fee.

I paid £40 admin fee for changing address, and then more because the new address had a higher premium.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition56529
    2. Free money and competition entry @ Circle56
    3. Free flights to Europe712
    4. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)44

See more discussions