Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Can I change broadbrand provider but retain all the wifi settings

Posted 2nd Oct
Hi all, last time I changed broadband provider I had to go through a hellish time changing the network details and manually updating the new password on my Alexa,yeelight, smarttv etc etc.... I know there is a simple solution to this, but don't know where to start.

What I'd like to know is it possible to have a home router which acted as a bridge between the broadband provided and my wifi enabled devices and then set that signal up with all the connected devices and so every time I changed broadband provider I just connected the phone line and just update the password on my home router and then done?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
Yes, you can change the SSID and Password of your new router to the settings on the old one.

You shouldn't be using router default passwords anyway.
Yes. Put the router from the ISP into modem only mode, and use a 3rd party router as the front end.
chaywa02/10/2019 11:26

Yes, you can change the SSID and Password of your new router to the …Yes, you can change the SSID and Password of your new router to the settings on the old one.You shouldn't be using router default passwords anyway.

Why not? Is there software that can determine the password from the SSID?

Asking for a friend...
chaywa02/10/2019 11:26

Yes, you can change the SSID and Password of your new router to the …Yes, you can change the SSID and Password of your new router to the settings on the old one.You shouldn't be using router default passwords anyway.

It took me a few years to realise you could do this when you change ISP, rather than having to change every IP device in your house.
Thank you everyone.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants