Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Can I claim for cancelling purchase of house (solicitor fees)

Posted 11th May
I bought protection cover incase sale fell through ect.

I put an offer in and it was accepted, paid £419 solicitor fees but then covid happened and I asked to cancel the purchase for several reasons, ie banks won't be lending, and its just not a good time to carry through (my choice) I spose

here is the options

Vendor withdrew the property from sale

☐ Vendor received a higher offer

☐ Compulsory purchase order identified

☐ Vendor is not legally entitled to sell the property

☐ Redundancy

☐ Valuation is less than the sum I offered

☐ Mortgage lender insists on rectification works

☐ Mortgage lender has applied a retention on the loan

☐ The property has suffered damage after I made an offer

☐ Death of the insured person, or of the person purchasing the property with the insured person

In this case is my circumstances just my tough luck or can I claime under any of the above legitimetly?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Doesn't look like you are covered, no.

If the vendor had pulled out, you would be covered, but because it was you who pulled out, you are not covered.
JoeLennox11/05/2020 12:19

Doesn't look like you are covered, no.If the vendor had pulled out, you …Doesn't look like you are covered, no.If the vendor had pulled out, you would be covered, but because it was you who pulled out, you are not covered.

Yeah I thought it might be case

''Vendor is not legally allowed to sell''

I guess this is true and not true
I would say your not covered
Vendor can still sell the house, you can sitll buy it.
Mortgage might be hard to get, but some people buy with cash.
There's nothing legally stopping you from buying a house.
It's just moving house would be very difficult for you because of the lock down
Banks will be lending, there is nothing illegal about selling a house. Not covered.
House sales are still going through. Mortgages are still being approved and processed. What is delayed is actual completion.

Reading that list, as you've pulled out, no, you are not insured.
Looks to me like you are not covered under those circumstances.

Best bet is to ring insurers and tell them truthfully what has happened and see what they say.
Sounds like those are the options on the claim form. RTFC (a derivative of the time honoured maxim RTFM) and find out what you are actually covered for. It may well be more.

If its £419 for all legal work, you are unlikely to be getting a good service. If its a legal firm appointed by a house builder, run a mile and then keep running into an independent. Firms like that tend to overlook advising buyers that Leasehold houses are a seriously bad idea.
Boris is so stupid for not letting the completion go through! I was thinking all those poor buyers and sellers stuck in middle who can’t move out but people can actually go to the beach and parks!!
Have a look at the their contract meaning/description/definition of "redundancy".
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 11th May
ccnp11/05/2020 15:24

Sounds like those are the options on the claim form. RTFC (a derivative …Sounds like those are the options on the claim form. RTFC (a derivative of the time honoured maxim RTFM) and find out what you are actually covered for. It may well be more.If its £419 for all legal work, you are unlikely to be getting a good service. If its a legal firm appointed by a house builder, run a mile and then keep running into an independent. Firms like that tend to overlook advising buyers that Leasehold houses are a seriously bad idea.

New lease holds maybe but not if it’s and old lease hold
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions