Can I claim on section 75 for unused ryanair flights (father took ill)

Found 9th Dec 2012
Hi. Some advice or your experiences regarding credit card purchases under section 75.
I paid for ryanair flights but they never got used as my father took ill and we could not go. I have tried to contact ryanair based on email addresses I found on the internet but they of course don't reply. My insurance won't pay out as it was my father who took ill and his insurance won't pay out as I paid for the trip. The credit card company say it's down to ryanair to sort this.
So I'm stuck in no mans land. The flights cost £108 return in total.
Thanks in advance
Community Updates
MiscRyanairFlight
12 Comments
Surprised your dads' insurance won't payout - as it was a named ticket. If my daughter was ill, but I paid for the policy I certainly would expect them to pay out.

If you get a med cert for the event (or approach the GP for a letter) then you can maybe try the insurance again. If still no luck I would try an ombudsmen.
hobojojo

Surprised your dads' insurance won't payout - as it was a named ticket. … Surprised your dads' insurance won't payout - as it was a named ticket. If my daughter was ill, but I paid for the policy I certainly would expect them to pay out.If you get a med cert for the event (or approach the GP for a letter) then you can maybe try the insurance again. If still no luck I would try an ombudsmen.

Yeah we've paid £15 for the gp's cert but the insurance company and credit card company won't move. Funnily enough a woman who works in the bank I'm with had a similar situation but they paid out for her
Mark2111

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases. It mentions flights on there.

Yeah cheers I've looked at this but it's more to do with flight companies going bust than non attendance due to illness
savvywoman.co.uk/c1-…733

Scroll down to where it says you are not covered under section 75
This isn’t an exhaustive list, but it does explain some of the situations when paying by credit card may not be enough ensure you can make a claim against the card company to give you your money back.

• When you pay for someone else. If you buy a present for someone, you should be covered under Section 75, but if the other person had a contract with a company to buy something and you simply paid for it, it would be unlikely that you’d be able to make a claim.

SAVVY TIP: Because this area of law is complex and Section 75 can be a grey area, it’s worth putting a claim in if you’re not sure. Even if you get turned down by the credit card company it may be worth taking your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

• If you buy airline tickets via a third party. This isn’t cut and dried but the Financial Ombudsman Service takes the view that if you buy airline tickets from a third party (such as a travel agent or online travel company), you wouldn’t be able to claim under Section 75 if the airline went bust. That’s because it believes the ‘third party’ (the travel agent) wasn’t contracted to supply the flights, just to book the tickets. However, the consumer organisation Which? disagrees and says you should be able to claim. It would probably only be clarified if a case came to court.
Mark2111

http://www.savvywoman.co.uk/c1-pages/c1s5.php?art_id=733Scroll down to … http://www.savvywoman.co.uk/c1-pages/c1s5.php?art_id=733Scroll down to where it says you are not covered under section 75

Thanks
sounds odd that your dad's insurer won't pay out as it doesn't matter who pays for the ticket if the ticket is in his name. he could say he gave you some cash and asked you to pay for his ticket when you buy the two tickets together.

i would pursue your dad's insurer route.
It makes you think, why bother with insurance as they always do what they can to worm out of paying! - Anyway, I would try to work with Ryanair and get some sort of vouchers for the next flight if possible. I don't think you have much hope in getting a full refund.
aircanman

It makes you think, why bother with insurance as they always do what they … It makes you think, why bother with insurance as they always do what they can to worm out of paying! - Anyway, I would try to work with Ryanair and get some sort of vouchers for the next flight if possible. I don't think you have much hope in getting a full refund.

You're right there. Insurers always seem to find a way out of it. Ryanair unfortunately are impossible to get in touch with. I've just sent an email to the ombudsmen to see what they have to say. Thanks
Make an official complaint to his insurer in writing. They must then take the matter seriously.
aircanman

It makes you think, why bother with insurance as they always do what they … It makes you think, why bother with insurance as they always do what they can to worm out of paying! - Anyway, I would try to work with Ryanair and get some sort of vouchers for the next flight if possible. I don't think you have much hope in getting a full refund.

Ryanair are the worst airline for customer service ever.
There is no working with them.
I honestly hope they get bought out by someone else as it seems unlikely their service can get any worse.
Edited by: "Uranus" 10th Jul 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions