Expired

Can I continue to drive a car that has been involved in an accident?

Found 13th Nov 2012
Hi, my car suffered a front and rear impact yesterday and was reported to the insurance company. The repair truck isn't coming till Saturday so my question is, in the meantime can I legally continue to drive it?
Although there are visible signs of collision there are no sharp edges, all lights work, there's no pulling to one or other side in normal operation or under braking. Google provides no answer, same story with the policy document on this subject.
Any ideas?
Community Updates
30 Comments
Banned
Phone your insurance company and ask, that's an idea.
Original Poster
dbhoy

Phone your insurance company and ask, that's an idea.

Claims dept is closed at the moment. Will give them a call tomorrow, just wondered in advance what the odds are.
is the damage really bad?
Yes(with common sense), I've been hit a few times and every time the car has been drive-able I've carried on driving it, until insurance has sorted someone to look at it to tell me damage. However, I have a Dad and Husband who are both mechanics, so I always have them to look at the car and tell me roughly whats up and if its safe. If you got hit front and rear and all lights and bumpers are still intact, you can't have got hit that hard, so can't see it being unsafe, worst is that it's kinked the chassis (when you look in the boot, lift the carpet and see if any kinks/ripples in floor), even then its still drive-able.
Edited by: "manda1" 13th Nov 2012
Original Poster
Damage appears superficial at first glance, but the tailgate looks to have skewed a bit (shut lines not even) and the bonnet won't open. Also no fluids leaking.
I have no problem driving it myself, however wondered how I would stand "if" it were involved in another accident!!!!
u664541

Damage appears superficial at first glance, but the tailgate looks to … Damage appears superficial at first glance, but the tailgate looks to have skewed a bit (shut lines not even) and the bonnet won't open. Also no fluids leaking.I have no problem driving it myself, however wondered how I would stand "if" it were involved in another accident!!!!

we drove our car after an accident but the damage was only to the left front.
From the sounds of it you have kinked the chassis then. I can only tell you what has happened to me, insurance have always asked me if its drive-able, I've said yes, they have then arranged either for an engineer to inspect at my house or Ive took it to a garage to have them inspect damage. I've never had a truck come and get them. Did you say it couldn't be driven? or didn't they ask? I guess if something else happened and you had another accident then a new claim would be made against that damage. Would be very unlucky though.
u664541

Damage appears superficial at first glance, but the tailgate looks to … Damage appears superficial at first glance, but the tailgate looks to have skewed a bit (shut lines not even) and the bonnet won't open. Also no fluids leaking.I have no problem driving it myself, however wondered how I would stand "if" it were involved in another accident!!!!

You want to drive a smashed up piece of crap around and risk injuring innocent people? What is your brain telling you to do?
jonny619447

You want to drive a smashed up piece of crap around and risk injuring … You want to drive a smashed up piece of crap around and risk injuring innocent people? What is your brain telling you to do?

Mine says....... Do it.
jonny619447

You want to drive a smashed up piece of crap around and risk injuring … You want to drive a smashed up piece of crap around and risk injuring innocent people? What is your brain telling you to do?

Get a grip, if the damage isn't major it's fine to drive, hence why the police will let you drive away after an accident if the car is driveable. A llight crash damaged car is no more dangerous to innocent people than any other, it's the driver that is generally the problem you pious drama queen.
ridicfox

Get a grip, if the damage isn't major it's fine to drive, hence why the … Get a grip, if the damage isn't major it's fine to drive, hence why the police will let you drive away after an accident if the car is driveable. A llight crash damaged car is no more dangerous to innocent people than any other, it's the driver that is generally the problem you pious drama queen.

So what is the exact damage to the Ops car and is it safe to drive?
Hence 'if'
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00677/car-3-404_677156c.jpg

Nah, the car is fine, it's just cosmetic.
Not all cars are a write off as a result of an accident.
Some that are are in fact economic write offs. ie the car is worth less than the damage repair cost.

It is quite possible that you will be able to drive it. But your insurers are the only people who can really advise if your policy on that car is still in force
Having been a claims advisor for years the car is either roadworthy or not ? If you are happy driving the car until it has been looked at then carry on . Who's fault was the accident ? If other party I would suggest u contact the other persons insurance and deal direct !!! they are always more likely to put u in a hired car imediately and get your car repaired without claiming own insurance then paying excess then having to wait for refund
Having been a claims advisor for years the car is either roadworthy or not ? If you are happy driving the car until it has been looked at then carry on . Who's fault was the accident ? If other party I would suggest u contact the other persons insurance and deal direct !!! they are always more likely to put u in a hired car imediately and get your car repaired without claiming own insurance then paying excess then having to wait for refund
Original Poster
ridicfox

Get a grip, if the damage isn't major it's fine to drive, hence why the … Get a grip, if the damage isn't major it's fine to drive, hence why the police will let you drive away after an accident if the car is driveable. A llight crash damaged car is no more dangerous to innocent people than any other, it's the driver that is generally the problem you pious drama queen.

Yes, police were called and allowed me to drive it home (approx 1 mile). BTW, it wasn't my fault.
Just drive it, whats the worst that can happen , someone getting killed?
Cars are full of crumple and deformation zones, designed to absorb impacts from and into different directions.
Just because the damage looks superficial, doesn't mean there isn't more damage hidden from sight.
if cosmetic damage (dints/scratch etc) then it's safe to drive

the police would have (supposedly) told you the car was not fit to be driven had it been unsafe

if structural or mechanical damage then no - it needs inspecting by a qualified mechanic/vehicle examiner
ridicfox

The bonnet wont open, what if there is an emergency i.e. engine fire etc. Depends if you live in chavsville I suppose.
u664541

Hi, my car suffered a front and rear impact yesterday...

What make/model of car is it? What hit you, or what did you hit? (This will help determine the severity of the damage & the height of the objects that shunted your car's bumpers or bodywork).

Was the chassis compromised? Did the air bags inflate?

Have you had an independent engineers' report prepared (or is that why you are waiting for the recovery of the vehicle)?

Was the fuel tank damaged? Was the radiator damaged? Did you brake heavily? Did you smell burning from the wheels? Was any fluid lost from the vehicle upon impact? If so, from where?

Do you think on the balance of probability that driving a vehicle that has been shunted in the front & the rear that no structural damage has been caused?
fanpages

What make/model of car is it? What hit you, or what did you hit? (This … What make/model of car is it? What hit you, or what did you hit? (This will help determine the severity of the damage & the height of the objects that shunted your car's bumpers or bodywork).Was the chassis compromised? Did the air bags inflate?Have you had an independent engineers' report prepared (or is that why you are waiting for the recovery of the vehicle)?Was the fuel tank damaged? Was the radiator damaged? Did you brake heavily? Did you smell burning from the wheels? Was any fluid lost from the vehicle upon impact? If so, from where?Do you think on the balance of probability that driving a vehicle that has been shunted in the front & the rear that no structural damage has been caused?

Give the guy a break he's suffering from whiplash......
transit

give the guy a break he's suffering from whiplash......

She was there too? Was that who caused the accident?

http://www.party-world.co.uk/uploads/thumbnails/prod_ex2c0d2858772fd3e0f9b0dab9845f3519.jpg
foxyuk

Having been a claims advisor for years the car is either roadworthy or … Having been a claims advisor for years the car is either roadworthy or not ? If you are happy driving the car until it has been looked at then carry on . Who's fault was the accident ? If other party I would suggest u contact the other persons insurance and deal direct !!! they are always more likely to put u in a hired car imediately and get your car repaired without claiming own insurance then paying excess then having to wait for refund

Dunno. I was hit in the side by a lorry while stationary in traffic. Open and shut case and I even had police present. Still had to take the other party to court to get my money back and it took a year.

I drove around with a battered car until the repairs were scheduled.
foxyuk

Having been a claims advisor for years the car is either roadworthy or … Having been a claims advisor for years the car is either roadworthy or not ? If you are happy driving the car until it has been looked at then carry on . Who's fault was the accident ? If other party I would suggest u contact the other persons insurance and deal direct !!! they are always more likely to put u in a hired car imediately and get your car repaired without claiming own insurance then paying excess then having to wait for refund

foxyuk

Yes, yes and thrice YES!
I don't know from a legal point of view, but I rode a scooter for about 6 months that was held together with duct tape, cops never said anything
The answer is simple, if it would pass an MOT in its current state then yes you can drive it, if you have any sharp edges on the body which could injure pedestrians then, no.

Edited by: "Alfonse" 14th Nov 2012
jonny619447

The bonnet wont open, what if there is an emergency i.e. engine fire etc. … The bonnet wont open, what if there is an emergency i.e. engine fire etc. Depends if you live in chavsville I suppose.

If your engine were to be on fire I wouldn't recommend opening the bonet, in fact I wouldn't recommend being near the car at all.
Original Poster
The insurance company say "Yes!".

For the sake of all HUKDers safety though I don't plan on driving it (only if I really, really need to).

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions