Can I get......

Found 19th Mar
No you can’t.

Another First World problem that upsets me. Anyone else get upset with these ‘Americanisms’? it’s seems like an excuse when using ‘get’ to not say please at the end of the sentence. Yes this also annoys me!

What’s wrong with ‘May I have’ being followed up with a please and a thank you?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
You say either and I say either, You say neither and I
say neither
Either, either Neither, neither, Let's call the whole
thing off.
I'm not British but studied English at school and then on my own as I loved the language (I remember underlining idiomatic expressions on the dictionary to memorise them) and I always say "can I have".

I have always preferred British English to American English
Depends on what you want to get.

for instance you wouldn't say 'may I have a parking ticket here please' '
But you can say 'can I get a parking ticket here?'

batezy_19842 m ago

Hahaha I’m basically referring to them people that we all see in a coffee s …Hahaha I’m basically referring to them people that we all see in a coffee shop.....[Image]

"Them people"

Sigh.
39 Comments
I think a 'can I have' is acceptable
can i get _______ please

is perfectly fine IMO
Depends on what you want to get.

for instance you wouldn't say 'may I have a parking ticket here please' '
But you can say 'can I get a parking ticket here?'

"May I have"! Commoner...

'One would like'

You might use "may I have" if opening the conversation. But if replying to "Hi, what can I get you?", I have no problem with 'can I get a latte' for example.
Joey.Bloggsy9 m ago

Depends on what you want to get.for instance you wouldn't say 'may I have …Depends on what you want to get.for instance you wouldn't say 'may I have a parking ticket here please' 'But you can say 'can I get a parking ticket here?'

Hahaha I’m basically referring to them people that we all see in a coffee shop.....
33472158-Ctijn.jpg
You say either and I say either, You say neither and I
say neither
Either, either Neither, neither, Let's call the whole
thing off.
batezy_19842 m ago

Hahaha I’m basically referring to them people that we all see in a coffee s …Hahaha I’m basically referring to them people that we all see in a coffee shop.....[Image]

"Them people"

Sigh.
batezy_198411 m ago

But but but I was.... You park the car outside the coffee shop and ask the person behind the till innit.

I'm not British but studied English at school and then on my own as I loved the language (I remember underlining idiomatic expressions on the dictionary to memorise them) and I always say "can I have".

I have always preferred British English to American English
I hoped to see a string of Bo Selecta comments Can I get a rewind
Edited by: "darlodge" 19th Mar
darlodge5 m ago

I hoped to see a string of Bo Selecta comments Can I get a rewind

All the funny ones would get this post banned and me kicked off HUKD . Bo Selecta!
benjammin31624 m ago

Can I get a like?

Reported for being rude.
hearts2229 m ago

I'm not British but studied English at school and then on my own as I …I'm not British but studied English at school and then on my own as I loved the language (I remember underlining idiomatic expressions on the dictionary to memorise them) and I always say "can I have". I have always preferred British English to American English

Your English and grammar is better than 99.9% of Britain's population!.
.MUFC.23 m ago

Thanks
hearts224 m ago

Thanks

Not that I'm stalking you, Just an observation ;).
Where's Fanpages when you need him ???
adamspencer951 h, 36 m ago

can i get _______ pleaseis perfectly fine IMO

Not if you're asking someone to get something for you. E.g in Starbucks "Can I get a coffee" "No, but I will get one for you"
You're a petty little one ain't you.

You can definitely use please after this. It's not an excuse
.MUFC.1 h, 48 m ago

And you were doing great until you dropped the full stop in at the end
deeky8 m ago

And you were doing great until you dropped the full stop in at the end

Got to leave one in there, I like my full stops, here's two more ..
.MUFC.19 m ago

I like my full stops

Then why did you replace them all with commas in that comment?

I'm fascinated how language has evolved, and still is, and of course especially English language. It's evolving all the time. And it didn't just start with the Shakespeare either. However, I'm no fan of americanisms either. One I'm especially no fan of is You're Welcome. It just lacks imagination.

Come on, there are so many British English variations!! Use your bleedin' imagination!!

Don’t mention it, my pleasure, no problem, not at all, think nothing of it, and so on. For goodness sake!!

I don't take it too seriously though to be honest. Life is too short.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 20th Mar
Americanisms can also be extremely impertinent too. Listen up for example. You would never say to somebody to Shut up would you, so why say Listen up? Or would you?
Edited by: "LemonHead" 20th Mar
No should be; please may I have...

Why leave the please till last?
RossD899 h, 28 m ago

Then why did you replace them all with commas in that comment?

I like commas too ;).
.MUFC.12 h, 51 m ago

Nah, it aye.
wut?

its 'GIESA'
Does it really matter ?
as long as people understand what you are saying ?

Bit of a daft thing to get a bee in your bonnet about imo.
Definitely an annoying first World problem.
.MUFC.12 h, 11 m ago

Got to leave one in there, I like my full stops, here's two more .. …Got to leave one in there, I like my full stops, here's two more ..

Here's 3 for you. It means it's definitely the end.

20 times...

Uranus20th Mar

Definitely an annoying first World problem.

the ops not that bad...
I find 'You do the math' an unwelcome addition to our lexicon. However, nothing is more likely to offend than the use of 'Oh, touché'.
So often times I agree with you as I'm on my way to the train station.
Some don't have an English equivalent and visa versa

I'll go to the foot of our stairs ..........never quite got what it means but it always makes me laugh and I don't know an
American equivalent

And

He's acting squirrelly ........... do we have an English version for that one ?

'
Alfsmum3 h, 12 m ago

Some don't have an English equivalent and visa versa I'll go to the foot …Some don't have an English equivalent and visa versa I'll go to the foot of our stairs ..........never quite got what it means but it always makes me laugh and I don't know an American equivalent AndHe's acting squirrelly ........... do we have an English version for that one ?'

Yes - he is a fidget - or - he is eccentric - or - he is nervous
### Can I get a rewind? ###
Andy@XCite25 m ago

### Can I get a rewind? ###

Haha that’s acceptable !
I was taught that the use of "get" and "got" was lazy and bad English. One of the most annoyingly examples is "Britain's got talent". Shouldn't it be "Britain has talent"?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants