Can I get a better Virgin Package, poss with SkySports HD?

Found 13th Jul
Hi all,
My current deal

TV:
Full House
Broadband
Vivid 350
Phone:
Talk Weekends

Bill 75.46 per month

I don't use my landline anymore so I'd be happy to drop the phone part - in your opinions can I get a better deal - how far can I push it - what would be a realistic aim of getting it reduced to, and how would I go about it?
also, I really want Skysports HD, how would you recommend going about getting that included?
any tips much appreciated
Community Updates
AskElectronicsSkyVirgin
11 Comments
Can't suggest a target price as I don't take the TV package but as to tactics you have to be prepared to go as far as putting your notice in to get the best possible deal - generally their (outbound) retentions team call you back within a week after giving notice and offer you something better - some on here reject that offer and try to get their best possible, normally a couple of quid a month lower than their first offer.

Do your research and see what you can get with Sky/BT etc then ring up asking for a deal price - then suggest everything is too expensive and serve your 30 day notice. If you don't get a call back you can always cancel your notice in the last few days!
Most of your package will be Line Rental anyway.

You can't argue that because you don't use your landline, you should pay less. Good luck in trying.

You're still renting the line, apparently, even though some companies put in new cable lines which allowed different channels.

So, take Telewest. They were great - I paid them for a broadband-only subscription, and they delivered, because the cables allowed them to do so. I did actually have a 'broadband only' contract with them, it was good.

BT/Sky etc got scared and so bought them out. I now pay Line Rental again.

There's no provider out there - as far as I'm aware - that will actually just let you buy a broadband and sports/telephone package that you actually want which go down the wires you want. The wires are there though.
Edited by: "weekender" 13th Jul
We have similar package with Virgin. We only have vivid 200 (don't thing any higher is available in our area).
We have full house tv, sky sports, weekend phone. We don't pay for the phone line rental though, Virgin pay for that. We pay £55 per month and have done for the last 3 years or so.

What we usually do, as said above, is give 30 days notice to leave when we are near end of contract. Don't take any offers they give you at that time, wait until the retention team ring you back (usuallywithin 7 days).

The usually say that the package will work out more expensive without the phone bundle. We tell them we never use the phone, and only incoming calls are spam.

They will also try go say that their internet is the highest speeds/best etc. Tell them your circumstances are altering (children off to uni) and that what Sky/BT can offer will be adequate.

We usually mention what is currently on offer elsewhere. Could be free Sky Sports/ free TV. Cashback offer somewhere.

These usually result in them offering you something better. Don't be afraid to tell them what you are prepared to pay to suit your fixed budget.

We've mostly found Virgin to be fairly flexible. Sky on the otherhand, not so much. We used to pay over £100 pm to Sky and they wouldn't budge.

Don't be afraid to stand your ground and refuse offers. They usually come back to you. If all else fails you can simply cancel your notice to leave after 30 days.

Good luck.
weekender38 m ago

Most of your package will be Line Rental anyway.You can't argue that …Most of your package will be Line Rental anyway.You can't argue that because you don't use your landline, you should pay less. Good luck in trying.You're still renting the line, apparently, even though some companies put in new cable lines which allowed different channels.So, take Telewest. They were great - I paid them for a broadband-only subscription, and they delivered, because the cables allowed them to do so. I did actually have a 'broadband only' contract with them, it was good.BT/Sky etc got scared and so bought them out. I now pay Line Rental again.There's no provider out there - as far as I'm aware - that will actually just let you buy a broadband and sports/telephone package that you actually want which go down the wires you want. The wires are there though.

You can get Virgin media without line rental broadband only, it’s not really that much cheaper though. Telewest was merged then taken over by Virgin media, in old properties you can still see the telewest inlet box outside.
weekender7 h, 0 m ago

Most of your package will be Line Rental anyway.You can't argue that …Most of your package will be Line Rental anyway.You can't argue that because you don't use your landline, you should pay less. Good luck in trying.You're still renting the line, apparently, even though some companies put in new cable lines which allowed different channels.So, take Telewest. They were great - I paid them for a broadband-only subscription, and they delivered, because the cables allowed them to do so. I did actually have a 'broadband only' contract with them, it was good.BT/Sky etc got scared and so bought them out. I now pay Line Rental again.There's no provider out there - as far as I'm aware - that will actually just let you buy a broadband and sports/telephone package that you actually want which go down the wires you want. The wires are there though.

Virgin do. I have broadband only (vivid 350) around £40 a month and have my phone line as VOIP through vonage £8.99 a month for unlimited calls. I have no tv or landline through Virgin as it’s all unnecessary as we don’t watch live tv anymore.

virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/broadband-only.html?intcmpid=broadband_hub_menu_click_bbonly

You can also have tv and broadband but no phone line.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 14th Jul
I find it depends on whom you speak to. If you not like what’s offered try again. I always now get it put in writing coz Virgin sales people are liars!

Should be able to get rid of a phone line coz few actually use this now. But getting rid of it isn’t much cheaper.

I only don’t pay for phone after they kept failing to hook it up & still charged me. So I complained. They returned the money for a year only tho. But they wouldn’t remove the phone until I complained think it was £18.99 pm for it!!
I pay £79 a month for VIP pack and had £100 worth or shopping vouchers too.

Not a bad deal but the broadband is terrible! Cannot get a video to play on YouTube without it buffering constantly. Had three engineer visits and no change. Hoping to try and leave ASAP!
Right, I've gave my notice but they didn't give me a better off, how long should I hold off and how do I reverse my decision without any penalties?
stephenp931 h, 13 m ago

Right, I've gave my notice but they didn't give me a better off, how long …Right, I've gave my notice but they didn't give me a better off, how long should I hold off and how do I reverse my decision without any penalties?

Hard call, some have had call back in few days or weeks. Some like me never got a call back
You can cancel anytime in the 30 days notice, penalty free. Just say you changed your mind

Might not get f deal until you try and switch
Does everyone automatically get a 30 days notice or is it something you have to ask for?
stephenp931st Aug

Does everyone automatically get a 30 days notice or is it something you …Does everyone automatically get a 30 days notice or is it something you have to ask for?

Normal 30 days. Just like most contracts
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants