Groups

Can i get a copy of emails from isp which i've deleted.

Need to get hold of some emails i've deleted (though system failure i did a full restore from windows Dvd).

Would I be able to contact my Isp to retrive the Emails if so how long do they hold the information on the system.

Many thanks Antony4462

9 Comments

Cant help with the ISP - I use this - its free and you would be amazed what it brings back - even from a "recovered disc" - recuva.com/

Don't think it's possible unless you had some program on your computer installed like spying?

It depends if your e-mail client is set to delete the e-mails from the mail server, or whether it does not re-download messages already retrieved.

If the messages are still on the server, then setting-up your account again on your newly built PC will probably re-download them again.

Your ISP will probably have a rule about deleting messages after a certain number of days (say, 30 days); so try this sooner rather than later.

However, I would very much doubt any ISP will entertain restoring messages for an individual, but you won't know for sure unless you ask them.

Quoting which ISP you are with may help others advise further.

Good luck.

BFN,

fp.

Original Poster

The Isp is Hull's based Karoo.

Original Poster

I've always had trouble saviing emails, whats the prefared method?
    Many thanks all. rep soon to follow

antony4462;6195644

I've always had trouble saviing emails, whats the prefared method?Many … I've always had trouble saviing emails, whats the prefared method?Many thanks all. rep soon to follow

Most e-mail software allows you to export messages to a file (Text, HTML, bespoke "mail format", or similar).

You could always print important messages, or install software that uses a print driver to convert your e-mail content to a Portable Document Format (PDF) file.

Alternatively, you could copy'n'paste text to your application of choice (for example, Windows Notepad or WordPad, Microsoft Word, and so on) & save the resultant file.

Finally, take successive backup copies of your e-mail software including the database file it uses to store your messages.

Place the backup on an external drive (such as a memory stick, or a hard drive connected to a USB port on your PC, or even write to CD, DVD, or Blu-ray disc if you have appropriate hardware connected to, or on-board upon, your PC).

In the event of failure you can restore your "backup" to your (rebuilt) PC.

BFN,

fp.

Original Poster

what files are the original emails, is it easy to recover emails to outlook express.

Many thanks.

antony4462;6197058

what files are the original emails, is it easy to recover emails to … what files are the original emails, is it easy to recover emails to outlook express.Many thanks.

It has been many years since I have used Outlook Express, but from memory I believe it uses e-mail message database files with a ".dbx" file extension.

You can find where these files are stored by clicking the menu option/dialogue:

"Tools" > "Options" > "Maintenance" > "Store Folder"

Backup the ".dbx" file(s) found & if you have a system failure, you can restore the entire set of messages in one go.

Hope that helps... but sorry if the menu option location is incorrect. Just navigate around & see what you can find yourself.

BFN,

fp.

yeah you want inbox.dbx or XXX.dbx if you saved to a different folder.

If your system restore formatted the boot partition I don't rate your chances though.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917256
      2. Xbox One X pre order £449.99 @ Game (out 9th Nov)2457
      3. Cat Chat73706
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6531245

See more discussions