Can I Get My Money Back?

Found 22nd Jan
Hi,

I recently did an online shop with Sainsbury's and used some money off vouchers to get some free stuff.
Got an email this morning saying that the vouchers couldn't be applied and that a £4.50 credit had been made to the online account to be used off my next shop.
Tbh, I don't think that I'll use Sainsbury's again, so I'm going to be £4.50 out of pocket.
Can I demand that the amount is credited back to my payment card?

Thanks in advance of your replies.
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
This is about the old fundamentals of Invitation to Treat vs Contracting. If they took your money, the contract is executed. If they failed to validate your coupons before doing that, then is their problem.

It's only £4.50 but it is equally the thin end of the wedge.
I would complain to the Head Office saying you won’t be using the services again and would prefer to have your money back in the method of payment you used to pay with and have your money back
ccnp44 m ago

This is about the old fundamentals of Invitation to Treat vs Contracting. …This is about the old fundamentals of Invitation to Treat vs Contracting. If they took your money, the contract is executed. If they failed to validate your coupons before doing that, then is their problem.It's only £4.50 but it is equally the thin end of the wedge.

That would mean that all 'pricing errors' such as tv's for 1p should be honoured and they never are (although I agree, they should) as money is taken for almost all internet shopping straight away. It's the despatch (for online sales) that triggers the contract and the OP hasn't said if that has happened. If not, then refuse the entire order at the door and get a refund, or if already recieved, just take the lot back.
Pandamansays1 h, 5 m ago

That would mean that all 'pricing errors' such as tv's for 1p should be …That would mean that all 'pricing errors' such as tv's for 1p should be honoured and they never are (although I agree, they should) as money is taken for almost all internet shopping straight away. It's the despatch (for online sales) that triggers the contract and the OP hasn't said if that has happened. If not, then refuse the entire order at the door and get a refund, or if already recieved, just take the lot back.

Order came last night including what should have been freebies.
They e-mailed me this morning saying that the freebie vouchers couldn't be applied and that my bank account would be charged. They then applied the £4.50 as a voucher in my online account to be used off my next purchase.
I cannot take the stuff back because the nearest Sainsbury's is miles away and would cost me more than £4.50 to get there.
Edited by: "chimp14uk" 22nd Jan
no, you can't ask for the money to be credited to your credit card as you have received the items and so in order to do this, you would need to return the items.

they often send out money off your next online purchase if you don't make another order, so if you wait for that then you can use the credit given together with that voucher.
chimp14uk2 h, 2 m ago

Order came last night including what should have been freebies.They …Order came last night including what should have been freebies.They e-mailed me this morning saying that the freebie vouchers couldn't be applied and that my bank account would be charged. They then applied the £4.50 as a voucher in my online account to be used off my next purchase.I cannot take the stuff back because the nearest Sainsbury's is miles away and would cost me more than £4.50 to get there.

Just ring them up and tell them to either collect everything and fully refund you, or refund the voucher to your payment method. They cannot change the terms after delivery has been made.
mutley13 h, 38 m ago

no, you can't ask for the money to be credited to your credit card as you …no, you can't ask for the money to be credited to your credit card as you have received the items and so in order to do this, you would need to return the items.they often send out money off your next online purchase if you don't make another order, so if you wait for that then you can use the credit given together with that voucher.

But I did not authorize payment. They have charged me for 'free items' and then gave me a voucher, which I will not be using.
It's like going to a restaurant with a BOGOF deal and then them charging you the full amount and giving you back a voucher towards your next meal.
Edited by: "chimp14uk" 22nd Jan
Pandamansays1 h, 37 m ago

Just ring them up and tell them to either collect everything and fully …Just ring them up and tell them to either collect everything and fully refund you, or refund the voucher to your payment method. They cannot change the terms after delivery has been made.

Told them to pick the stuff up, but they refused.
Taking it further with customer service atm. If I don't get anywhere, a tweeting I will go.
chimp14uk31 m ago

But I did not authorize payment. They have charged me for 'free items' and …But I did not authorize payment. They have charged me for 'free items' and then gave me a voucher, which I will not be using.It's like going to a restaurant with a BOGOF deal and then them charging you the full amount and giving you back a voucher towards your next meal.

But you had the option of returning the items to the delivery driver when he delivered. Then the refund would have been done without issue. You also have the opportunity to return the items to a store (i know it is not local to you) .

All you can do is ask customer service nicely as a gesture of goodwill to refund to your credit card, but they may refuse to do so as it is clear that you are not going to be a long term customer so they dont need to be nice to you to keep your custom. Certainly worth a try
mutley15 m ago

But you had the option of returning the items to the delivery driver when …But you had the option of returning the items to the delivery driver when he delivered. Then the refund would have been done without issue. You also have the opportunity to return the items to a store (i know it is not local to you) .All you can do is ask customer service nicely as a gesture of goodwill to refund to your credit card, but they may refuse to do so as it is clear that you are not going to be a long term customer so they dont need to be nice to you to keep your custom. Certainly worth a try

I didn't really have the option of returning the items to the driver as I was only advised that the vouchers couldn't be applied by email this morning, the delivery was last night.
I find it very underhanded tbh.
chimp14uk6 m ago

I didn't really have the option of returning the items to the driver as I …I didn't really have the option of returning the items to the driver as I was only advised that the vouchers couldn't be applied by email this morning, the delivery was last night.I find it very underhanded tbh.

When we get the shopping delivered, the driver gives us the receipt, so i check the total cost of the receipt and certain items on there. If the voucher did not work, it would have appeared on your receipt as costs added to the total bill.
mutley112 m ago

When we get the shopping delivered, the driver gives us the receipt, so i …When we get the shopping delivered, the driver gives us the receipt, so i check the total cost of the receipt and certain items on there. If the voucher did not work, it would have appeared on your receipt as costs added to the total bill.

I had a piece of paper with the order number on it, but that was about it. Nowhere on it did it say how much was going to be charged.
When I completed the order online, it said that I would be charged £45.50 after the vouchers, but they ended up charging me £50, and added a £4.50 evoucher to my online account.
Don't seem fair. I would have never have ordered the 'free' items if I knew that they would charge them to my payment card and then give me a voucher off my next shop.
chimp14uk5 m ago

I had a piece of paper with the order number on it, but that was about it. …I had a piece of paper with the order number on it, but that was about it. Nowhere on it did it say how much was going to be charged.When I completed the order online, it said that I would be charged £45.50 after the vouchers, but they ended up charging me £50, and added a £4.50 evoucher to my online account.Don't seem fair. I would have never have ordered the 'free' items if I knew that they would charge them to my payment card and then give me a voucher off my next shop.

when i get the delivery, i get the receipt like you do when you go in store as they scan everything as they do in store when they pack your delivery. they have to do this as sometimes items are substituted or are not available if you have asked for no substitution.

as they did not give you this store receipt, you should point this out to customer service that you could not check the receipt and so did not have a chance to return it to the driver when he delivered your groceries.
mutley11 h, 39 m ago

when i get the delivery, i get the receipt like you do when you go in …when i get the delivery, i get the receipt like you do when you go in store as they scan everything as they do in store when they pack your delivery. they have to do this as sometimes items are substituted or are not available if you have asked for no substitution.as they did not give you this store receipt, you should point this out to customer service that you could not check the receipt and so did not have a chance to return it to the driver when he delivered your groceries.

Worth a try.
chimp14uk42 m ago

Worth a try.

i have found sainsburys customer service online to be extremely good and i always get things resolved successfully to my satisfaction. lets hope they will resolve this for you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants