Expired

Can I get out of my gym membership?

Found 19th Feb
I signed up for a new gym membership on 29th October 17. They gym had just built a new heated outdoor pool and had an offer running of the first month free an then 11 months at £28 per month.

I only went to the gym twice as the pool heater wasn't working so the pool was closed and I had only signed up to use the pool. I've been keeping a close eye on their Facebook page for updates on the pool temperature and 4 months later it's still not working and they're still promising it will be working soon

I thought I had got out of my membership as they lost the form I completed when I joined and never took any money from my account. Unfortunately, they must have found the form as they have now activated my membership and taken the first payment today. I've emailed them and they confirmed that my 12 months membership started today, without the free month!

I'm wanting to get out of my contract as it's of no use to me without a swimming pool. Can anyone advise how I can do this please?
Community Updates
Top comments
Thanks for your help everyone I rang the membership management company and argued my case. They argued a lot at first and were really rude and sarcastic. They tried saying that my membership has been active since October, but because the gym emailed me stating that it only just went live, they had to back track She also accused my of lying about the pool being closed but eventually she agreed to call the gym and ask them about it. She just rang me back and said that the gym has agreed to close my membership and refund the £28 I paid. That was actually an awful lot easier than I expected
18 Comments
You go in, tell them they are not offering the service you signed up for and you have went elsewhere. Cancel your direct debit, give notice in writing also.

Should be fine but the above is just common sence, someone else might have additional comments.
I would think if they advertised a heated pool as part of your membership and it is not available then they have broken the contract, ask them if the contract can be written off if they refuse seek legal advice, maybe contact them through twitter or facebook as that seems to get better results sometimes.
ibblackberry19 m ago

You go in, tell them they are not offering the service you signed up for …You go in, tell them they are not offering the service you signed up for and you have went elsewhere. Cancel your direct debit, give notice in writing also.Should be fine but the above is just common sence, someone else might have additional comments.

My concern is that the company who manages the membership/direct debit have a reputation for refusing to cancel memberships and hounding people for money. I really don't want my credit rating effecting.
coys678 m ago

I would think if they advertised a heated pool as part of your membership …I would think if they advertised a heated pool as part of your membership and it is not available then they have broken the contract, ask them if the contract can be written off if they refuse seek legal advice, maybe contact them through twitter or facebook as that seems to get better results sometimes.

That's a good suggestion, I don't think they'll want any more bad publicity. Thanks
if you have just joined. don't you have 14 or 30days to cancel your contract
Edited by: "Mackan" 19th Feb
deleted79467
Mackan19th Feb

if you have just joined. don't you have 14 or 30days to cancel your …if you have just joined. don't you have 14 or 30days to cancel your contract

from the first line
I signed up for a new gym membership on 29th October 17
mattmerch1 m ago

from the first line I signed up for a new gym membership on 29th …from the first line I signed up for a new gym membership on 29th October 17

From this bit
I thought I had got out of my membership as they lost the form I completed when I joined and never took any money from my account. Unfortunately, they must have found the form as they have now activated my membership and taken the first payment today. I've emailed them and they confirmed that my 12 months membership started today, without the free month!
Edited by: "Mackan" 19th Feb
but they've only just taken the first payment.....sooooooo.....
Mackan19th Feb

if you have just joined. don't you have 14 or 30days to cancel your …if you have just joined. don't you have 14 or 30days to cancel your contract

I filled in the form to join on 29th October but they lost my form so have only just started the direct debit. I had a letter from the membership management company stating that my direct debit has been "changed", rather than only just started. I do wonder if I can cancel using the 14 day thing as it's only just been activated though
vics21910 m ago

I filled in the form to join on 29th October but they lost my form so have …I filled in the form to join on 29th October but they lost my form so have only just started the direct debit. I had a letter from the membership management company stating that my direct debit has been "changed", rather than only just started. I do wonder if I can cancel using the 14 day thing as it's only just been activated though

to me that is when your membership started. as u said that is your join date and start of your 12months membership.
Mackan19th Feb

to me that is when your membership started. as u said that is your join …to me that is when your membership started. as u said that is your join date and start of your 12months membership.

You may be right. In the email they just sent me they did say that my membership has only just gone active though so i'm going to ask them just in case this is a way to get out of the contract without having to fight them.
Cancel the Direct Debit.
vics2191 h, 2 m ago

My concern is that the company who manages the membership/direct debit …My concern is that the company who manages the membership/direct debit have a reputation for refusing to cancel memberships and hounding people for money. I really don't want my credit rating effecting.

Was the cost of annual membership provided to you as a loan or some form of post-use payment, and/or did you agree to your payment performance being supplied to credit reference agencies? This will or will not be stated in the forms you signed, if it is not a credit agreement there is nothing to report to credit reference agencies. That does not mean that the gym will not attempt to recover its lossess from you if the gym believes you have unreasonably broken the contract.
If the events stated in OP are accurate, a reasonable outcome for all parties would be to request the gym defers the start of the membership until the pool heater is operational and to provide the "free" month at the appropriate time (OP does not mention the contractual timing of payments so the "free" month may have already been applied if the payment arrangement is xx month(s) in advance, or the minimum term is 13 months where the first month is free, or other permutation).
Thanks for your help everyone I rang the membership management company and argued my case. They argued a lot at first and were really rude and sarcastic. They tried saying that my membership has been active since October, but because the gym emailed me stating that it only just went live, they had to back track She also accused my of lying about the pool being closed but eventually she agreed to call the gym and ask them about it. She just rang me back and said that the gym has agreed to close my membership and refund the £28 I paid. That was actually an awful lot easier than I expected
deleted79467
vics21942 m ago

Thanks for your help everyone I rang the membership …Thanks for your help everyone I rang the membership management company and argued my case. They argued a lot at first and were really rude and sarcastic. They tried saying that my membership has been active since October, but because the gym emailed me stating that it only just went live, they had to back track She also accused my of lying about the pool being closed but eventually she agreed to call the gym and ask them about it. She just rang me back and said that the gym has agreed to close my membership and refund the £28 I paid. That was actually an awful lot easier than I expected

good outcome and thanks for confirming this
vics2194 h, 53 m ago

Thanks for your help everyone I rang the membership …Thanks for your help everyone I rang the membership management company and argued my case. They argued a lot at first and were really rude and sarcastic. They tried saying that my membership has been active since October, but because the gym emailed me stating that it only just went live, they had to back track She also accused my of lying about the pool being closed but eventually she agreed to call the gym and ask them about it. She just rang me back and said that the gym has agreed to close my membership and refund the £28 I paid. That was actually an awful lot easier than I expected

Did you get an e-mail confirming this? i would not be comfortable just having word of mouth to go by, it would be better if you can get confirmation in writing.
Edited by: "coys67" 19th Feb
coys6745 m ago

Did you get an e-mail confirming this? i would not be comfortable just …Did you get an e-mail confirming this? i would not be comfortable just having word of mouth to go by, it would be better if you can get conformation in writing.

Definitely get written confirmation, they can always say at a later date they have no record of your call being made. Keep a close eye on your bank statements for next month to be sure the contract is cancelled.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants