Can I get refund on laptop if its faulty and 11 months old?

11 replies
Found 3rd Feb 2009
Hi I need some help, I have 2 laptops(both Dell M1530), one is working perfect and 1 isnt.

The faulty one has the faulty Nvidia graphics card/motherboard that was in the news(the well known overheating problem), but seems to be currently working e.g I can play cod4/5 without problems
The problems I am having with it:
*Memory card reader only sometimes works.
*The built in bluetooth doesnt appear on the system tray sometimes which means its completely unusable
*Touchpad sometimes becomes unresponsive
*Since dell introduced the new A09 bios update to turn the fans on more which thy claim 'fixes' the overheating problem, my battery life has been reduced by 1 hour!
*Screen resolution keeps changing to a lower one every time I start the laptop or wake it from sleep!

I still have 1 month of warranty left(bought it on march 2008) but heres the thing... I want a full refund because of the terrible experience I have had with it! I don't want them to repair it! Just a full refund. I want to know if under the Sale of goods act can I claim for refund? especially since I have the faulty card! Please say how I can get the refund? Thanks

1. Misc
  2. Laptop
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Laptop
11 Comments

Hi. You need to give them the opportunity to repair, it, then if its still not working you could ask for replacement. refund. I suggest you go to [url]www.consumerdirect.gov.uk[/url]. This is a free service and they will tell you what you need to do they even hace sample letters to use.

Can you expand a bit more on the faulty card thing. I've got a 1730 and have o/heating issues and want to see if mine is affected. Thanks.

I think the general opinions are quite right a refund is very unlikely if not impossible. The best you can hope for is a repair/replacement, however if a repair does not fix the problem, get back onto them straight away even if your warranty has expired by then, and keep pushing till fixed.

Download_Dave;4269537

I think the general opinions are quite right a refund is very unlikely if … I think the general opinions are quite right a refund is very unlikely if not impossible. The best you can hope for is a repair/replacement, however if a repair does not fix the problem, get back onto them straight away even if your warranty has expired by then, and keep pushing till fixed.

agree:thumbsup:

Original Poster

kyalion;4269458

Can you expand a bit more on the faulty card thing. I've got a 1730 and … Can you expand a bit more on the faulty card thing. I've got a 1730 and have o/heating issues and want to see if mine is affected. Thanks.

First of all thanks to everyone for your advice :thumbsup:, I will contact Dell to get them to replace the system and not just fix it!(I have read that sometimes the replacements have higher spec!:-D).

Kyalion I think your system may be affected but I am not sure, so check the following websites for more info...

]http//ne…tml

and

]http//ww…bad

Dell have extended the guarantee to two years on the GPU's for all affected machine, it can be a bit hard to find a tech on the helpline that knows that some times but it's on their website. . .

You might be in for a rough call. From Dell's point of view, every issue has to be troubleshooted to prove that it's a hardware issue rather than a software issue. From what you've got there -

*Memory card reader only sometimes works. - Could be caused by Windows driver problems or by your card being faulty

*The built in bluetooth doesnt appear on the system tray sometimes which means its completely unusable - Again, possible Windows or driver problem

*Touchpad sometimes becomes unresponsive - A known issue. But one they'll deny knowing (Dell has no known issues, and it's a disciplinary offence for a worker to admit to them)

*Since dell introduced the new A09 bios update to turn the fans on more which thy claim 'fixes' the overheating problem, my battery life has been reduced by 1 hour! - Again, maybe a driver issue

*Screen resolution keeps changing to a lower one every time I start the laptop or wake it from sleep! - Very likely to be a driver issue

The best thing to do would be to lie to them mercilessly. Tell them that you have tried several known good memory cards and that they all exhibit the same fault, that you've cleaned the trackpad to no avail, and that you've tried reinstalling Windows twice, one time installing the drivers availble on the Dell website and the other time using the drivers included with the sytem, but it didn't fix the problems. If you have a Next Business Day wrranty, this should coax them to send an engineer out to replace most of the system. Try and avoid a Collect & Return job, as it takes about two weeks. You'll not get the system replaced with a higher spec machine unless you're super-lucky or if they figure that it'll be more cost effective to replace than to repair.

Original Poster

dxx;4270339

You might be in for a rough call. From Dell's point of view, every issue … You might be in for a rough call. From Dell's point of view, every issue has to be troubleshooted to prove that it's a hardware issue rather than a software issue. From what you've got there -*Memory card reader only sometimes works. - Could be caused by Windows driver problems or by your card being faulty*The built in bluetooth doesnt appear on the system tray sometimes which means its completely unusable - Again, possible Windows or driver problem*Touchpad sometimes becomes unresponsive - A known issue. But one they'll deny knowing (Dell has no known issues, and it's a disciplinary offence for a worker to admit to them)*Since dell introduced the new A09 bios update to turn the fans on more which thy claim 'fixes' the overheating problem, my battery life has been reduced by 1 hour! - Again, maybe a driver issue*Screen resolution keeps changing to a lower one every time I start the laptop or wake it from sleep! - Very likely to be a driver issueThe best thing to do would be to lie to them mercilessly. Tell them that you have tried several known good memory cards and that they all exhibit the same fault, that you've cleaned the trackpad to no avail, and that you've tried reinstalling Windows twice, one time installing the drivers availble on the Dell website and the other time using the drivers included with the sytem, but it didn't fix the problems. If you have a Next Business Day wrranty, this should coax them to send an engineer out to replace most of the system. Try and avoid a Collect & Return job, as it takes about two weeks. You'll not get the system replaced with a higher spec machine unless you're super-lucky or if they figure that it'll be more cost effective to replace than to repair.

Will the engineer come to my home and test to see if the issues exist? Because some of the issues happen sometimes and he might just say 'I can't see anything wrong with the system mate'. I wan't to avoid this from happening! :?

The End;4270834

Will the engineer come to my home and test to see if the issues exist? … Will the engineer come to my home and test to see if the issues exist? Because some of the issues happen sometimes and he might just say 'I can't see anything wrong with the system mate'. I wan't to avoid this from happening! :?

Nah - Dell aren't like that. They're based around the pinciple that one guy writes a script and the other guy follows it blindly without question or argument. If the engineer's job says he's to go out and replace X part, he's just got to replace it and test that the part he installed works okay, and that's it. He can call back to Dell if something goes wrong, but that's about as far as his involvement goes. Your engineer won't even be a Dell employee. So don't worry. And although they do test parts returned as faulty, they only test them to see if they can be refurb'd and send out to someone else, and they don't keep notes on who the part comes from except in special circumstances, so it's fine.

Original Poster

dxx;4271126

Nah - Dell aren't like that. They're based around the pinciple that one … Nah - Dell aren't like that. They're based around the pinciple that one guy writes a script and the other guy follows it blindly without question or argument. If the engineer's job says he's to go out and replace X part, he's just got to replace it and test that the part he installed works okay, and that's it. He can call back to Dell if something goes wrong, but that's about as far as his involvement goes. Your engineer won't even be a Dell employee. So don't worry. And although they do test parts returned as faulty, they only test them to see if they can be refurb'd and send out to someone else, and they don't keep notes on who the part comes from except in special circumstances, so it's fine.

Thanks for that :thumbsup:, I will phone them up in the next few days and demand that they send replacement laptop with fixed graphics! If they refuse I'll just have to accept that they will fix the current machine :lol:

The End;4271943

Thanks for that :thumbsup:, I will phone them up in the next few days and … Thanks for that :thumbsup:, I will phone them up in the next few days and demand that they send replacement laptop with fixed graphics! If they refuse I'll just have to accept that they will fix the current machine :lol:

Nae problem. If it makes things easier for you btw, they've got an online instant messaging tech support chat thing on their site. It's great. The responses are sometimes a little slow, but I find it much easier when I need to fib to them or use their services without interrupting whatever movie I'm watching.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I posted a deal that has been removed411
    2. Laptop Recommendation - HELP PLEASE22
    3. Ideas on a upgrade from a UE boombox please?10
    4. Looking to travel from belfast22

See more discussions