Can I haggle in Currys/Comet? And is it worth paying for warranty?

Found 22nd Oct 2009
Morning all.

Looking to buy an American style fridge/freezer

Have seen one I like on Comet website for £549, am wondering if I go instore if I can get some kind of dea out of them?

When I bught a TV and dvd player from Currys about 8 years ago we ended up getting a free 5 year warranty, do I have a chance of getting this now with a fridge?

Not really after a discount as such, but would like to get some extra warranty if possible, but then I don't know if the warranty is useless if Curry's went bust?

Would really appreciate some advice as I may pop down there later on

Thank you!

32 Comments

yes you can

You can haggle specially if you buy warranty. But if you want a good deal, Richer Sounds has the best warranty i can think of! It is money back#!

unileeds;6651798

But if you want a good deal, Richer Sounds has the best warranty i can … But if you want a good deal, Richer Sounds has the best warranty i can think of! It is money back#!

But i don't think they sell many fridge freezers ;-)

Most fridge freezers come with a 5 year parts guarantee anyway. It is worth haggling but go armed with prices from another outlet

Usually you can only haggle on products piced up as .97 and .98 and the manager has up to 10-15% to play with thats what I have always found

Banned

find the fridge freezer you want at the cheapest price available online or instore, then get them to price match it

comets after care with their warranty is terrible. It has taken them 6 weeks to fix my dishwasher. 4 times they came with the wrong thing even though it was written down what was needed.
The other time it broke it took em 2 mths to replace it.

Banned

have you checked out john lewis, think some of their stuff comes with 5 yrs warranty

We got 4 items last week from them priced at over £1500. Asked what deal they could do for us and it came in at just under £1400 with free delivery. Always worth asking.

cherishu2;6651920

comets after care with their warranty is terrible. It has taken them 6 … comets after care with their warranty is terrible. It has taken them 6 weeks to fix my dishwasher. 4 times they came with the wrong thing even though it was written down what was needed. The other time it broke it took em 2 mths to replace it.

Highstreet rubbish retailers for ya!

Original Poster

I am looking for a new fridge and freezer, was going to buy 2 separate units, but now I think I would be better off with an American style one as it will save me a bit of space widthways

I really only have a budget of £500 though which limits me hugely, this is the one I like in Comet ]http//ww…ion, it has one good review but can't really find it anywhere else, hence why I would like some extra warranty

There was a guy on here used to haggle for his milk out of his local corner shop! I am not that good, or bad, as the case may be, but I do haggle almost everywhere, especially if I am paying cash...The most recent one for me was last Saturday >

HMV online PS3 deal: PS3 slim 250GB -Uncharted 2, FIFA 10, NFS-S, £284.99 (not in stock 7 day delivery)

Called up my local HMV, told the guy the deal, asked if they has the same, they had the same minus NFSS. I asked could he match it, he said no...I went in to the shop the same afternoon, asked to speak to the manager. I had wrote down the deal on a piece of paper, showed him it, he didn't believe me, I said that if he had a spare minute we could check, walked over to the till, he went online, seen it, I asked him if he could match it, and he said "sure". NFSS was priced at £44.99, so you could look at that as a £44.99 saving, as it was not available to the general public, or online at that time...

Always ask for money off, always. In this day and age, most smart business men or woman, are willing to reduce their profit for a sale. Have your wallet in your hand or your money out, and tell them what you would like to pay,(go for at least 10% off) if it is within the margin that they are willing or able to sell for, you will get it.
GO FOR IT!
:thumbsup:

rehydrated;6651980

There was a guy on here used to haggle for his milk out of his local … There was a guy on here used to haggle for his milk out of his local corner shop! I am not that good, or bad, as the case may be, but I do haggle almost everywhere, especially if I am paying cash...The most recent one for me was last Saturday >HMV online PS3 deal: PS3 slim 250GB -Uncharted 2, FIFA 10, NFS-S, £284.99 (not in stock 7 day delivery)Called up my local HMV, told the guy the deal, asked if they has the same, they had the same minus NFSS. I asked could he match it, he said no...I went in to the shop the same afternoon, asked to speak to the manager. I had wrote down the deal on a piece of paper, showed him it, he didn't believe me, I said that if he had a spare minute we could check, walked over to the till, he went online, seen it, I asked him if he could match it, and he said "sure". NFSS was priced at £44.99, so you could look at that as a £44.99 saving, as it was not available to the general public, or online at that time...Always ask for money off, always. In this day and age, most smart business men or woman, are willing to reduce their profit for a sale. Have your wallet in your hand or your money out, and tell them what you would like to pay,(go for at least 10% off) if it is within the margin that they are willing or able to sell for, you will get it.GO FOR IT!:thumbsup:

Nice deal, I always try to haggle but looking young and being short doesn't do me any favours :whistling:

Original Poster

Thanks guys, I found this one in John Lewis I really like and has 2 years warranty - would really be stretching me though.

]http//ww…spx

Can I do anything there? Bit far away for me to travel though :-(

Original Poster

So if I went to Comet, can I expect to get some warranty chucked in? Or how much can I expect to bargain them down? On £549 fridge/freezer cash purchase.
Also, does it matter if they haven't got it instore?

Banned

Mrs.Z;6652028

Thanks guys, I found this one in John Lewis I really like and has 2 years … Thanks guys, I found this one in John Lewis I really like and has 2 years warranty - would really be stretching me though.]http://www.johnlewis.com/230439381/Product.aspxCan I do anything there? Bit far away for me to travel though :-(

do you mean you want a price match? you dont want to order online?

Banned

Mrs.Z;6652037

So if I went to Comet, can I expect to get some warranty chucked in? Or … So if I went to Comet, can I expect to get some warranty chucked in? Or how much can I expect to bargain them down? On £549 fridge/freezer cash purchase.Also, does it matter if they haven't got it instore?

last time i went their they wouldnt budge pn price even if i purchased the warranty, so i left

Banned

cheaper here £519 appliancesonline.co.uk/pro…lse also 3.25% cashback via topcashback

also link on site for free delivery if you sign up to the which tial for £1, otherwise delivery is £29-99, still cheaper than john lewis

Mrs.Z;6651973

I am looking for a new fridge and freezer, was going to buy 2 separate … I am looking for a new fridge and freezer, was going to buy 2 separate units, but now I think I would be better off with an American style one as it will save me a bit of space widthwaysI really only have a budget of £500 though which limits me hugely, this is the one I like in Comet http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/515850/DAEWOO-FRSU20ICW/tab/specification, it has one good review but can't really find it anywhere else, hence why I would like some extra warranty

If you're not desperate i would hang on for a sale. I got the model with ice and water dispenser for not much more than this in their sale. It was this one comet.co.uk/sho…DCI and i'm sure we paid about £575 for it.

You could use this code 5500AW for 5% off & quidco to get it cheaper :thumbsup:

Original Poster

sassie;6652203

cheaper here £519 … cheaper here £519 http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/product_information.aspx?ProductID=8119&ProductCode=RSH1NHMH_SI&ProdColourID=12399&specification=false also 3.25% cashback via topcashbackalso link on site for free delivery if you sign up to the which tial for £1, otherwise delivery is £29-99, still cheaper than john lewis

wow, thanks Sass - that's an excellent saving - reckon JL will price match?

Original Poster

Reddwarfposse5;6652374

If you're not desperate i would hang on for a sale. I got the model with … If you're not desperate i would hang on for a sale. I got the model with ice and water dispenser for not much more than this in their sale. It was this one http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/461482/DAEWOO-FRSU20DCI and i'm sure we paid about £575 for it.

Thanks, thinking I need to get one sooner rather than later - the freezer seems to be playing up in our half half one :thumbsup:

Would love a water/ice dispenser though - what time of year did you get yours? And would you recommend that one?

Banned

Mrs.Z;6652514

wow, thanks Sass - that's an excellent saving - reckon JL will price … wow, thanks Sass - that's an excellent saving - reckon JL will price match?

you could try them, not sure on what they do, thought it was only instore, even if they will by phone you will lose the tcb cachback and also lose the free delivery, not sure if jl do free delivery

Original Poster

sassie;6652552

you could try them, not sure on what they do, thought it was only … you could try them, not sure on what they do, thought it was only instore, even if they will by phone you will lose the tcb cachback and also lose the free delivery, not sure if jl do free delivery

JL do free delivery and 2 years warranty, the other place is only one - may have to give them a call :thumbsup:

Banned

Mrs.Z;6652648

JL do free delivery and 2 years warranty, the other place is only one - … JL do free delivery and 2 years warranty, the other place is only one - may have to give them a call :thumbsup:

the place i linked is two years warranty :? also if jl will price match this it may be worht you taking the 5 yr warrant for £95, means you have got it included in near enough price you where going to pay anyway, loss from tcb is about £18

Mrs.Z;6652537

Thanks, thinking I need to get one sooner rather than later - the freezer … Thanks, thinking I need to get one sooner rather than later - the freezer seems to be playing up in our half half one :thumbsup:Would love a water/ice dispenser though - what time of year did you get yours? And would you recommend that one?

It's a really good one and the ice dispenser is brilliant (needs to be plumbed in but not a big job). Our ice machine actually broke and they couldn't fix it so replaced whole fridge freezer. We stuck with same one as size is impressive and this one has worked well. I'm sure it was last October we got it.

Original Poster

sassie;6652678

the place i linked is two years warranty :? also if jl will price match … the place i linked is two years warranty :? also if jl will price match this it may be worht you taking the 5 yr warrant for £95, means you have got it included in near enough price you where going to pay anyway, loss from tcb is about £18

Oh yeah, dunno where I read 1 year :giggle:

Reddwarfposse5;6652874

It's a really good one and the ice dispenser is brilliant (needs to be … It's a really good one and the ice dispenser is brilliant (needs to be plumbed in but not a big job). Our ice machine actually broke and they couldn't fix it so replaced whole fridge freezer. We stuck with same one as size is impressive and this one has worked well. I'm sure it was last October we got it.

Oh no can't be doing with plumbing in, the fridge is going about 10ft away from any water pipes :thumbsup:

Banned

Mrs.Z;6653691

Oh yeah, dunno where I read 1 year :giggle:Oh no can't be doing with … Oh yeah, dunno where I read 1 year :giggle:Oh no can't be doing with plumbing in, the fridge is going about 10ft away from any water pipes :thumbsup:

it is a tiny tube, its more like the size of an elctrical wire, very small, my sis has one. anyway aint found anything else so good luck in finding a good price x

Yup, you can haggle.

Any ticket price is just an "invitation to treat" - they are suggesting the price you offer to buy at. If they accept your offer then you have a contract of sale.

Part of the store's legal obligaiton under that contract is that what you buy is 1) As described, 2) fit for purpose and 3) Reasonably Durable. If it isn't all of those, the shop has an obligation to put this right.

(forget the manufacturer's guarantee - the contract is between you and the shop. )

The time you could expect this to apply is subject to what you could reasonably expect from the goods in question, but for something which you would normally expect to last a long time, your legal route for redress could last up to six years.

Up to 6 months it is generally assumed there was an inherent fault and you can insist on a replacement. After this you have to show there was a fault at he time of supply and you may have to accept a repair.

All this is the responsibility of the store, not the manufacturer.

If yo ureally need something to send you to sleep at night, you could read up about the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)

[SIZE="4"]Sasmung fridges have a 2 year warranty as standard, so just find the cheapest place[/SIZE]

Product General information Warranty service Warranty period
Refrigerator In-home 24 months

samsung.com/uk/…NTY

Original Poster

Well I went to Currys and - apart from their prices being a rip off - they wouldn't budge for me

Think I am going to go with the Samsung one that Sassie found at Appliances online for £519 - Curry's wanted to charge me £599 for the same model but a display/pre owned one, plus £49 delivery from around the corner :x

John Lewis also wouldn't budge on their price of £599

Liked ]this one too, especially because it has a meat tray :w00t: but the 2 years warranty on the Samsung sells it to me :-D

Thanks everyone

Going with Pixmania would have been a bad move
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941396
    2. Marmite1823
    3. Krack WiFi vuln1121
    4. UBER can be a waste of money1019

See more discussions