Can i have your expert opinion ?

10 replies
Found 9th Jun 2009
I am looking for a new laptop dont really have a budget. it needs to to all the office stuff but not be to fragile due to almost constant traveling. This has 4 gig ram which makes it faster but what are the draw backs?

Any help truly appreciated.

Weight in kg 2.9
Depth in cm 27
Height in cm 3.8
Width in cm 36
Maximum Battery Life in Hours 3
Graphic Memory in MB 256
GPU Model (Graphic Card) RAD MOB HD3430
Brand of Graphic Chip ATI
Chipset Type 45PM
Chipset Brand Intel
Number of Cores 2
Processor Number T6400
Processor Core 2 Duo
Processor Brand Intel
Card Reader Multi Card Reader
Number of USB Ports 4
Firewire Yes
TV Output No
Bluetooth Yes
Wireless LAN Yes
Fingerprint Reader No
Web Cam Yes
Video Editing Card Yes
TV Card No
Remote Control No
DVD Writer DVD-Writer
Hard Drive Type Hard Disk Drive
Aspect Ratio 16:10
True Resolution WXGA
Screen Size in Inches 15.4
Form Factor Portable
Media Centre Edition No
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
Intel Centrino Technology CENTRINO PRO
RAM Type DDR2 SDRAM
RAM in MB 4096
Clock Speed in MHz 2000
Hard Disc Capacity in GB 320
Type Portable

£599 from argos

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
10 Comments

The size and weight of the laptop might be a problem if you're constantly travelling. What kind of work would you be doing on the laptop? Games? Video Editing? Have you considered a netbook?

Seems ok to me - good spec but not sure about value without searching myself. As a rule I wouldn't buy a computer from Argos!

Expert Opinion is that the best of the best would not usually be available through Argos. Does not mean to say is is a bad deal though.

Whow an expert for the day. LOL

Original Poster

Spriggan;5442341

The size and weight of the laptop might be a problem if you're constantly … The size and weight of the laptop might be a problem if you're constantly travelling. What kind of work would you be doing on the laptop? Games? Video Editing? Have you considered a netbook?

i bought a netbook a couple of weeks ago and it didnt meet all my needs i have a great laptop bag so it doesnt need to be the lightest laptop. i play games inbeteew the hard work, and i'd like a good size screen to watch a dvd on. I need outlook and powerpoint, are these included in Vista Ultimate?

Original Poster

[email protected];5442346

Seems ok to me - good spec but not sure about value without searching … Seems ok to me - good spec but not sure about value without searching myself. As a rule I wouldn't buy a computer from Argos!

I was thinking of going into pc world and letting them take care of it. but not sure:oops:

Bit poor, I reckon. Me, if budget really isn't a problem, I'd be much more inclined to go with Dell, for one of their Vostro 13.3" systems. Go for theone that starts at £499 and add 3yr accidental damage and theft cover and a 9 cell battery, and you can have yourself a system that'll last much longer on battery power, and that will be much lighter to carry round, that you don't have to worry about dropping (also get the £13 'keep your harddrive warranty' for data secruty) it or having it stolen. Okay, it's double the price, but it's faster, lighter, and it comes with a next business day warranty, so if at any point within the next three years you drop it and something breaks and needs replaced, it happens next-day. Compare that to Argos or PC World and their collect & return policies that often take as much as a month, or more, to get a system back to you.

mwaters28;5442457

I was thinking of going into pc world and letting them take care of it. … I was thinking of going into pc world and letting them take care of it. but not sure:oops:

I think you will find most people would say PC World is just a bad place to buy a laptop from as Argos.

You dont seem to have told us what laptop it is, or provided a link to it.

We cannt really advise without knowing the make and model.

>This has 4 gig ram which makes it faster

Not quite true.

If all you are doing is basic office tasks then you are probably never using above 2Gb of RAM.

If that is the case the "extra" 2Gb of RAM is gaining you nothing.

A better CPU will make it faster, but more memory may not (once you go above 2Gb).

mwaters28;5442428

i bought a netbook a couple of weeks ago and it didnt meet all my needs i … i bought a netbook a couple of weeks ago and it didnt meet all my needs i have a great laptop bag so it doesnt need to be the lightest laptop. i play games inbeteew the hard work, and i'd like a good size screen to watch a dvd on. I need outlook and powerpoint, are these included in Vista Ultimate?

No, outlook and powerpoint are part of some versions of office. They're not included in windows.

What sort of games are you planning to play? If it's just flash games then I'd go for a business laptop like a Lenovo Thinkpad, Toshiba Tecra or Dell Inspriron. They will have lower specs but will be fine for office work and the money saved on the specifications is used to make the chassis sturdier so they'll be better for travelling.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. How to switch between open apps on an Android box22
    2. I have a pretty old sky router and the power lead needs replacing, is it li…79
    3. How do you transfer files to an Android device over wifi?57
    4. I just found out that I have been paying £65 p/m to sky for tv/broadband/la…89

See more discussions