Expired

Can I install an SSD on my laptop

Found 23rd May 2014
I have had my Lenovo G580 for almost 2 years, the specs are intel core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.5GHz, 750gb HDD, 6GB Ram and Intel HD Graphics 4000. I'm wondering whether I can install an SSD because it feels quite a bit slower since I originally purchased it. What SSD would do the job, and how do I go about installing it. Is it possible to keep my hard drive for storage space.

On a slightly different topic, can I significantly improve my graphics by installing a graphics card or is this not possible.

Any help is appreciated.
Community Updates
AskLaptop
5 Comments
Yes, replacing the hard drive with SSD is a good idea. Decide on the size, you want, check whether your current pc takes SATA 2 or 3 there is no point getting sata3 if the current board only supports sata 2, although it will probably be compatible.

Yes, buy an external enclosure for the original hard drive.

Google is the way to find out more specific answers.

bubblegum2910

Yes, replacing the hard drive with SSD is a good idea. Decide on the … Yes, replacing the hard drive with SSD is a good idea. Decide on the size, you want, check whether your current pc takes SATA 2 or 3 there is no point getting sata3 if the current board only supports sata 2, although it will probably be compatible. Yes, buy an external enclosure for the original hard drive.Google is the way to find out more specific answers.

I would rather keep the hard drive for storage space, is there any way of doing this. I heard some people on some websites saying that it may be possible to remove the optical drive and replace it with an SSD, is this possible for the Lenovo G580, if so, how would I proceed.
not unless it has space for 2 drives. swap HDD. put old one in a cheap USB caddy
stealth666

not unless it has space for 2 drives. swap HDD. put old one in a cheap … not unless it has space for 2 drives. swap HDD. put old one in a cheap USB caddy

I don't understand, I'm a bit of a noob, what is a usb caddy, is it some sort of external device. If so I would rather have all of the components inside the laptop, just because its more convenient. Can this be done, when having both a hard drive and SSD.
Adding a SSD would give your laptop a new life altogether. There are a couple of things you can do to swap out your hard drive (HDD) to SSD.

Cloning your existing hard drive to SSD
Gives you exactly what you have on your hard disk over to the SSD. This is the easiest and fastest solution, and get you up and running in no time:

What you need:
* A USB caddy/enclosure (basically a case to hold either your 2.5" hdd or ssd as an external storage device and your can just plug it into your laptop USB port) - Something like this
* A HDD cloning software. I tend to use Acronis True Image, but I think there are free cloning software out there (EaseUs ToDo??)

1. Before you swap out the HDD to the SSD, install the SSD into the caddy and plug it to your laptop. Make sure your laptop recognises it as a new hard drive.
2. Install the cloning software run the software, follow the instructions to copy all partitions from the HDD to the SSD.
3. Once the cloning is done, swap out the HDD with the SSD in your laptop.
4. Switch on your laptop and it should go into your OS as normal. Note the OS (depends which OS you have) may have to reboot a couple of times as it needs to install any new drivers.

That's pretty much it.

Clean install of your OS:
If you have the time to install everything again, this would be the cleanest and probably provides best gain in performance. You don't need a caddy for this, just swap out your hdd with the SSD, then install your OS and all other software with it. Note, you will need your OS installation media and this could take as much as a day with all the service packs, etc. Make sure you have backed up your important files from the HDD just in case.

With regards to upgrade the graphic, the short answer is No. As majority of laptops graphic component is soldered into the laptop's motherboard, and I believe the GPU for your laptop is an IGU (Integrated Graphic Unit - built into your CPU).

Lastly, if you really want the spare hdd to be inside your laptop and don't mind taking out the CD/DVD drive, you an get something like this.

Hope that helps
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants