Can I Install XP Over Vista Without Losing Apps N Games?

Found 9th Sep 2007
i have vista basic and just got xp on a cd and was wondering if i could install xp over vista without losing my apps and games?

if i will lose my apps and games is there a programme that backs them up so i can easily put them onto xp if i install it?

also if i will lose everything can i install vista ultimate over it without losing anything?

sorry for the dumb question :oops:

yus786

10 Comments

You'll have to do a fresh reinstrall and loose all your data

Banned

Xp won't install over Vista
Like t0mm says, you need to do a fresh install and will lose the programmes & games.

Don't think a Vista backup of proggies will work in XP (not tried)

Yep, Updating from Vista Basic to Vista Ultimate does work & you shouldn't loose anything

Or install XP, and then Vista as a dual boot, and have both systems

Original Poster

sugar

so 100% theres no way of getting my programmes back if i install xp?

hmm i might bite the bullet.

regards

yus786

Banned

99% sure

You can restore XP backups to Vista, but not Vista to XP (well done Microsoft)

Doc's, music, photo's are fine, but when it is a game or app it's a different story

I would take that bullet, and bite hard

good luck!

Yeah its 10000000000000% you cant.

You cant downgrde.

Original Poster

oh thanks for the confirmations.

just one more 100% question lol. if i get vista ultimate on a disk wont i lose any apps programmes 100% and will there be an option i have to check or will it not delete anything like normal?

and i wont be getting an upgrade disk, just a plain windows vista ultimate by itself.

regards

yus786

Im about 50% Sure you can keep all your details

Are you using a legitmate or pirate copy, truthfully?

just get virtual pc which is free and you can run a virtual pc with windows xp inside the terminal

dalejstevenson

just get virtual pc which is free and you can run a virtual pc with … just get virtual pc which is free and you can run a virtual pc with windows xp inside the terminal

You do realise you just replied to a thread that is over 6 YEARS old ...don't you ? LOL

Banned

Ubuntu
Post a comment
@
    Text