Groups

can i keep chickens in my garden?

I have been wanting an alotment to keep a few chickens on and maybe grow a few veg but my local alotments have a waiting list and im getting sick of waiting, my friend has just bought a chicken run and put it his garden and put a couple of chickens in, its a fair sized run and im thinking of getting one, are there any reasons why i cant? Its a private house with a fair sized garden and i get on reasonably well with my neighbours so cant see them complaining as i will keep them clean ect, anyone else got any?

46 Comments

r u renting the property,

check with your neighbours, they may not be happy with the unwelcome noise

or smell

It's fine unless you end up with noise complaints.............and then it's Roast Dinners all week. :-D

We have set up in preperation for getting chooks ie secured the garden, fenced them a corner off put a coop up with its own run etc, and are getting the chooks in about 2 hours.

I did contact the council in advance about this to enquire about regulations and the only limit was no cocks in a built up area, which is fair enough but kind of daft as you can keep them on allotments and we have one about 100m away and can clearly hear him.

Its cost us about £190 so far and thats before we get the hens which are £8 each fully vaccinated and at point of lay. We did originally want ex batts but we seem to live in an area void of them and with no one who helps re-home them.

Original Poster

flp14344;6401046

r u renting the property,

no i own it.

rockerfella20;6401077

no i own it.

well if you own it,u just have to let neighbour's know,
    thy might concern if thy have small children,its good to let thm knw abt it,

good luck:)

Too bad you cant have cocks in a built up area

contact your local council, we are not allowed to keep them in our garden.

harlzter;6401074

We have set up in preperation for getting chooks ie secured the garden, … We have set up in preperation for getting chooks ie secured the garden, fenced them a corner off put a coop up with its own run etc, and are getting the chooks in about 2 hours.I did contact the council in advance about this to enquire about regulations and the only limit was no cocks in a built up area, which is fair enough but kind of daft as you can keep them on allotments and we have one about 100m away and can clearly hear him. Its cost us about £190 so far and thats before we get the hens which are £8 each fully vaccinated and at point of lay. We did originally want ex batts but we seem to live in an area void of them and with no one who helps re-home them.

no joy from the website I sent you then? Thats a shame :-(

wre theres chickens there are lots of rats and maybe your neighbours know this

bitseylango;6401106

contact your local council, we are not allowed to keep them in our garden.

can have it has a pet,i think

Original Poster

harlzter;6401074

We have set up in preperation for getting chooks ie secured the garden, … We have set up in preperation for getting chooks ie secured the garden, fenced them a corner off put a coop up with its own run etc, and are getting the chooks in about 2 hours.I did contact the council in advance about this to enquire about regulations and the only limit was no cocks in a built up area, which is fair enough but kind of daft as you can keep them on allotments and we have one about 100m away and can clearly hear him. Its cost us about £190 so far and thats before we get the hens which are £8 each fully vaccinated and at point of lay. We did originally want ex batts but we seem to live in an area void of them and with no one who helps re-home them.

yeh i only want 2 hens and the run i have seen is big enough for 6, my local allotment is 3 meters from my gate which is a shame as they could have had a bigger run over there, whats the deal with getting them vaccinated? im thinking about buying some eggs and hatching them myself, my friend has an incubator and i thought it would be a nice process for the kids to go through.

rockerfella20;6401118

yeh i only want 2 hens and the run i have seen is big enough for 6, my … yeh i only want 2 hens and the run i have seen is big enough for 6, my local allotment is 3 meters from my gate which is a shame as they could have had a bigger run over there, whats the deal with getting them vaccinated? im thinking about buying some eggs and hatching them myself, my friend has an incubator and i thought it would be a nice process for the kids to go through.

we did this at the infant school I work in earlier on this year, it was amazing to watch them hatch and the school has kept 3 of them and they are laying already :thumbsup:

bitseylango;6401137

we did this at the infant school I work in earlier on this year, it was … we did this at the infant school I work in earlier on this year, it was amazing to watch them hatch and the school has kept 3 of them and they are laying already :thumbsup:

Wow.............better success rate than 99% of the misc already :-D :lol:

Syzable;6401150

Wow.............better success rate than 99% of the misc already :-D :lol:

I beg to differ! :w00t:

bitseylango;6401159

I beg to differ! :w00t:

You thinking 99.9%??? I was just being kind. :-D

Original Poster

bitseylango;6401137

we did this at the infant school I work in earlier on this year, it was … we did this at the infant school I work in earlier on this year, it was amazing to watch them hatch and the school has kept 3 of them and they are laying already :thumbsup:

sounds good, i know the kids will love it.

i have chickens in my garden, we have 10. 1 cock he's quite quiet though. My brother next door had some too, but the council made him get shut as they were too noisy, he had 4 of our brood and they all turned aout to be male.

let them have the run of bouchy

wickedteen;6401113

wre theres chickens there are lots of rats and maybe your neighbours know … wre theres chickens there are lots of rats and maybe your neighbours know this

?
    We kept chickens in our garden but didn't have any problem with rats. I imagine this would only happen if food is left out in the open.

Susannah;6401276

?We kept chickens in our garden but didn't have any problem with rats. I … ?We kept chickens in our garden but didn't have any problem with rats. I imagine this would only happen if food is left out in the open.

we don't have rats either.

harlzter;6401074

only limit was no cocks in a built up area,

i wish our local council did the same...suppose there would be too many empty properties then though! :w00t::p

Id love to have chickens but where we live it would be an impossibility the neighbours are too close and I'd feel for them....

If you're seriously considering this, I'd go round and actually speak to the neighbours and ask them if they'd mind. The noise is prolly much worse than you're thinking it'd be...

On our property in Florida one of the closest neighbours had roosters and the noise at 4am in the morning, thought my ex-husband was gonna go kill them any number of times and that property was maybe 300 metres from ours at least xxx

bitseylango;6401137

Syzable;6401150

Wow.............better success rate than 99% of the misc already :

bitseylango;6401159

I beg to differ!

Syzable;6401165

You thinking 99.9%??? I was just being kind.

:giggle:

Aww come on guys not 90 %... maybe a good 20... ;-)

Or am I still naive at this?

sod it just get them.

Edbug;6401430

sod it just get them.

and dam the consequences.... lol

men :roll:

chickens are not noisy - cockerels are though! Get 3 chickens and you don't need much space, they make barely any noise, they don't smell and you don't get rats....so many myths about keeping chickens! They are great pets and great fun to have roaming about the garden :-D

niallmoran;6401445

chickens are not noisy - cockerels are though! Get 3 chickens and you … chickens are not noisy - cockerels are though! Get 3 chickens and you don't need much space, they make barely any noise, they don't smell and you don't get rats....so many myths about keeping chickens! They are great pets and great fun to have roaming about the garden :-D

+1

Original Poster

niallmoran;6401445

chickens are not noisy - cockerels are though! Get 3 chickens and you … chickens are not noisy - cockerels are though! Get 3 chickens and you don't need much space, they make barely any noise, they don't smell and you don't get rats....so many myths about keeping chickens! They are great pets and great fun to have roaming about the garden :-D

yeh, thats proberly what im going to do, my mates chickens dont make hardly any noise, non that you would notice anyway and i dont think i will get rats as i have a rabbit in the garden and thats never caused any problems. and i have 2 jack russels and rats dont like jack russles much...:thumbsup:

rockerfella20;6401661

yeh, thats proberly what im going to do, my mates chickens dont make … yeh, thats proberly what im going to do, my mates chickens dont make hardly any noise, non that you would notice anyway and i dont think i will get rats as i have a rabbit in the garden and thats never caused any problems. and i have 2 jack russels and rats dont like jack russles much...:thumbsup:

aren't they the same thing? :w00t:

Im kidding btw, I have a mutt too

Check for any covenent on your house deeds. Ours states that we cant keep hens & we have one neighbour that would kick up a stink if we had them. We did have them at our old house & it's well worth doing. If you get 'Rhode Island Red x White Sussex '(breed) you'll get almost 365 eggs a year from one hen! Its also worth setting up 2 runs so one can recover while they're scratching up the other. Also keep it clean to keep the rats away!

Original Poster

g1bbuk;6401720

Check for any covenent on your house deeds. Ours states that we cant keep … Check for any covenent on your house deeds. Ours states that we cant keep hens & we have one neighbour that would kick up a stink if we had them. We did have them at our old house & it's well worth doing. If you get 'Rhode Island Red x White Sussex '(breed) you'll get almost 365 eggs a year from one hen! Its also worth setting up 2 runs so one can recover while they're scratching up the other. Also keep it clean to keep the rats away!

I dont have much grass and was going to put them on a hard standing with sand or soil on top and just keep changing it every month, would this be ok?

g1bbuk;6401720

Check for any covenent on your house deeds. Ours states that we cant keep … Check for any covenent on your house deeds. Ours states that we cant keep hens & we have one neighbour that would kick up a stink if we had them. We did have them at our old house & it's well worth doing. If you get 'Rhode Island Red x White Sussex '(breed) you'll get almost 365 eggs a year from one hen! Its also worth setting up 2 runs so one can recover while they're scratching up the other. Also keep it clean to keep the rats away!

We have the same thing written on our deeds, I think it covers the whole area too. We live in a private house with very large gardens but thats the rules I suppose. Its a shame as we'd love to keep some too. :?

Surely you should keep chiken in a basket?

Mke..

I wouldn't worry about covenants. Who will enforce them? The person or company who put them on the deeds, I don't think so.

Regarding the noise and odour issues it comes down to Statutory Nuisance (section 79 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990). Odour cannot be an issue from domestic properties so you can be as smelly as you like! Noise nuisance needs to be determined on a case by case basis so any Council which tells you you can't have cocks in a built up area is basically being a cock themselves. It is possible that a cock might cause noise issues, but it is equally possible that it won't. It is safer though not to bother and just go for hens.

Rats can be an issue but sensible precautions regarding food storage and cleaning will see you all right. I would be more concerned about fox proofing the run and coop.

keeping the food in a big plastic bucket with a snap on lid keeps mice and rats away - i don't think i'd fancy and rodents chances if they tried to get in the run or house with the girlies as they can be pretty feisty. The ISA hybrid/ warren (which is the rhode island red/wessex cross) brown ones are great layers, however we've recently added a couple of grey speckled hybrids and they are really cute - much most pet like than the brown girls and are really soft when you handle them. They're also pretty good layers, although a wee bit less so that the brown ones....

Have you see the eglu which is designed for smaller gardens.......
    omlet.co.uk/hom…php

Think there was an article about keeping hens in the Guardian -
    You might find this useful
    guardian.co.uk/lif…ly1
    and this
    guardian.co.uk/env…ood

One other thought - you got someone to look after them when you go on holiday?

MKMan;6402375

I wouldn't worry about covenants. Who will enforce them? The person or … I wouldn't worry about covenants. Who will enforce them? The person or company who put them on the deeds, I don't think so.Regarding the noise and odour issues it comes down to Statutory Nuisance (section 79 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990).Odour cannot be an issue from domestic properties so you can be as smelly as you like! Noise nuisance needs to be determined on a case by case basis so any Council which tells you you can't have cocks in a built up area is basically being a cock themselves. It is possible that a cock might cause noise issues, but it is equally possible that it won't. It is safer though not to bother and just go for hens.Rats can be an issue but sensible precautions regarding food storage and cleaning will see you all right. I would be more concerned about fox proofing the run and coop.

Depending on the covenant - most likely your neighbour who has replaced the original coventor. Covenants are meant to run with the land, so it will most likely not be the original person who made the covenant but they are enforceable

79(1)(f) any animal kept in such a manner as to be prejudical to health or a nuisance - not saying it would happen but it is a possibility that someone would complain about the smell through this section.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains1211
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…55
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44

See more discussions