Can I keep my child with health issues at home until they decide to shut the schools

Posted 14th Mar
Looked everywhere and waiting on a reply from the DofE but don't know whether im within my rihts or will face penalties for keeping my child who has an auto immune condition at home, even though the school is open. Not especially happy to put her life in the hands our governement when they seem to be out of step with the rest of Europe
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
My Grandson has cystic fibrosis, he’s been out of school 2 weeks, he’s going nowhere until this is over. I simply don’t care for the government advice, they can sue me, jail me, whatever.
If it was me personally in your situation I would rather risk the fine than my child’s health.

Take them out of school to be on the safe side then try deal with local authority from home explaining your circumstances and speak to the school directly to see if they are able to help you with work for her to do.
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 14th Mar
21 Comments
You can say it’s yourself that is self isolating as recommended and therefore cannot get your daughter to school.
Sounds like your in a tricky situation. Have you tried contacting the school and explaining?
Edited by: "Xboxgamer321" 14th Mar
Saw this question asked on one of those “ask the experts” slots now common on the 24 hr news channels. The answer was that as it stands existing regulations/ laws are still in force as long as schools remain open. However it was suggested that those in your situation should talk to the head teacher of your school who may agree to you taking your child out of school.

The DfE have a Coronavirus helpline.

”We have launched a new helpline to answer questions about COVID-19 related to education. Staff, parents and young people can contact the helpline as follows:

Edited by: "captainbeaky" 14th Mar
If your that worried tell the school you may have it and are self isolating the entire family as per government advice
If it was me personally in your situation I would rather risk the fine than my child’s health.

Take them out of school to be on the safe side then try deal with local authority from home explaining your circumstances and speak to the school directly to see if they are able to help you with work for her to do.
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 14th Mar
My Grandson has cystic fibrosis, he’s been out of school 2 weeks, he’s going nowhere until this is over. I simply don’t care for the government advice, they can sue me, jail me, whatever.
Family comes before everything, keep your daughter off these are testing times and if the school can't understand that then let them try and fight you in court
These are unusual times, the UK governance and policies are for the generalised scenarios and do not have specific examples for individual cases, like yours.

They do not give specific advice on typical immune systems for individuals. Government governance and policies express, mostly on averages. For many individuals, your GP's advice or personal evidence about immunity medical history, is best "insurance" against risk of penalties.
Unless you are planning to not leave house or have deliveries for weeks, it would make little difference if your child at school or not.
AMaky14/03/2020 11:17

Unless you are planning to not leave house or have deliveries for weeks, …Unless you are planning to not leave house or have deliveries for weeks, it would make little difference if your child at school or not.

Exactly unless you plan on staying housebound yourself and stop friends family from visiting your literally peeing in the wind
I chose to work from home and regular old school air exchange in the house, windows slightly open, regardless of the weather
If your child has a condition that will mean that they will get detrimentally affected by this virus then you should speak to the school immediately. If the school are already aware of the child’s health issues they will understand, however as the government has not explicitly advised people or schools in this situation then the school WILL have to follow official protocol. They have no choice whether they sympathise with you or not.

What you should do is put everything in writing, explain fully to the school that you are isolating your child due to their medical situation, and provide evidence of that diagnosis (if the school doesn’t already have copies).
This will protect both you and the school (then for example simply phoning them and telling them you’re not letting your child come to school), especially when there is uncertainty over time-frames and what the government is planning to do next.
No idea but lots of people including myself have there kids off school
Mine are ill though i phoned the school and have said we are self isolating havent heard anything back ive seen some people on mumsnet saying there schools have been supportive but i doubt mine will be but im not risking it toilets never have handsoap i have complained before even nursery ages children no handsoap or paper towels and normally they tell you to bring in your kids even when ill and have been vomiting ect and just say if its so bad we will send them home ive seen kids be sick infront of the teacher and drop off and still go in they care about attendance over anything
Could you live with yourself if they kept going to school and something happened? You'll get no sympathy either way from DofE either way, so do what's best for you and yours. Self isolate yourself (2 weeks), then your child (2 weeks) then your partner (2weeks) then each separate person in the house for 2 weeks each. If you run out of people to self isolate before you are happy to send your child back simply invent people, aunts, uncles etc, until you are happy to send them back.
I would keep them off but, unless everyone in the house isn’t going out or you have no visitors there is a good chance they will catch it anyway.. but at least your doing what you can..
Have you spoke to the school? Thats the logical first port of call surely?
If you child has a cough they have to self isolate for 7 days...

A cough can take weeks to clear...
The government's advice is based on the government's agenda, which won't be the same as your agenda. The government are trying to manage the timetable for the spread of infection, not the spread of actual infections itself. This is to stop the NHS from being overwhelmed by a huge spike in admissions rather than a general increase over a longer period. They are concerned with when you get the virus, not if you get it.
Just ring her in sick? Generalised nothing specific kinda illness, headachey and looking pale if they push it?

For us, the school don’t feel they have any power to follow things up when people are off sick.
My daughter has developed a nasty cough over the last couple of days so looks like she will have to be off school for a while
Thanks everyone who commented - managed to talk to the DOE ( guy sounded so un-interested and read off a standard statement) no extra consideration is in place and its down to the head to allow or not , so very hit and miss, they do have a code if you are off to allow you to self isolate but this is generated if you think you have symptoms rather than just being precautious. so the advice will be very inconsistant school to school. look after yourself folks, decided to keep mine off and reduce the risk as much as possible. thanks for the time in replying folks. keep well.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants