Expired

Can I make my own Sky On Demand Connector?

Found 5th Apr 2014
I can't access On Demand or Anytime TV, as our Sky box is in a completely different room to the phone socket. I have had numerous heated discussions with Sky about them being unwilling to provide their 'free' on demand connector, which they are simply refusing to do, as they say that we've connected to their on demand service (we can't have done, as per the above). However, I have a wireless dongle, which fits into the back on the sky box via USB - is there a way I can set this up to act as my connector? If this isn't possible, is there a semi-easy way to save all the programmes from the hard disk, so I can then leave Sky and go to YouView, or similar?
Many thanks in advance!
Community Updates
AskSky
22 Comments
Why don't you get a plug in signal booster or extender? And plug it in next to your sky box and then use an ether net cable to Connect. Bobs your uncle :-)
simonwright91

Why don't you get a plug in signal booster or extender? And plug it in … Why don't you get a plug in signal booster or extender? And plug it in next to your sky box and then use an ether net cable to Connect. Bobs your uncle :-)

Thanks for your reply and it's a good idea - if I had a signal booster. However, I'm trying to get around this without having to buy another device. I can buy a Sky on demand connector for £21.95, but I don't want to pay it. Isn't a signal booster around this price too? Do you know if my wireless dongle idea would work and if so, how would I set it up?
threaten to leave go to cancellations I would bet they will give it there...
Don't sky encrypt their recordings so you can't access them after cancelling subscription?
If you have a new sky box they have built in WiFi so won't need any wires or dongles.
If you don't have a new sky box a dongle won't necessarily work but as far as I know any WiFi 'bridge' will. Here's one I see from a quick search on amazon for £11. Reviews say works for sky anytime. You may be able to find one cheaper.
There isn't a semi easy way to get the content from the sky box, and if you want something in this life you have to be prepared to pay for it like the rest of us.
there's been a few for sale on here, might be worth posting a wanted ad? or you can get them on eBay for less than what sky charge. good luck though
selling around £13, you might get one for a tenner if you're lucky
The only easy way to save your programmes before losing the sky box is to play them out in real time over the SCART socket to a recorder such as a DVD recorder or PVR.

It works but you might be there a long time.

The best way to link a Sky box in another room is to use powerline or "ethernet over mains wiring" technology. Better and fester than wifi and you can pick up a pair of these for around £15 on ebuyer.
dcx_badass

Just order the free Sky Wireless booster, it works exactly the same and … Just order the free Sky Wireless booster, it works exactly the same and is free for every customer.

OOS
aircanman

There isn't a semi easy way to get the content from the sky box, and if … There isn't a semi easy way to get the content from the sky box, and if you want something in this life you have to be prepared to pay for it like the rest of us.

I would be prepared to pay for it if it wasn't advertised as free!
in fact I might have an on demand connector going spare tomorrow, I've just got a wireless booster for the mother in law and if it does the same job as mentioned above there will be no need for the OD connector, ill let you know
Thanks for all the replies. I have spoken to someone at Sky again today, who has advised that it should be free and that you can register for one online at sky.com/tha…you
You are entitled to the connector only if you have never connected to on demand content before. I have tried to register, but again it doesn't work for me, but the nice lady at Sky has assured me she will get it sorted and call me on Monday (we shall see...)
Apogee00

in fact I might have an on demand connector going spare tomorrow, I've … in fact I might have an on demand connector going spare tomorrow, I've just got a wireless booster for the mother in law and if it does the same job as mentioned above there will be no need for the OD connector, ill let you know

If the Sky lady doesn't get back to me on Monday, I'd like to take you up on that-thanks!
wondermouse

The only easy way to save your programmes before losing the sky box is to … The only easy way to save your programmes before losing the sky box is to play them out in real time over the SCART socket to a recorder such as a DVD recorder or PVR. It works but you might be there a long time. The best way to link a Sky box in another room is to use powerline or "ethernet over mains wiring" technology. Better and fester than wifi and you can pick up a pair of these for around £15 on ebuyer.

Thanks for the info - I'll have to look into the recording option. Other than a scart lead and a dvd recorder, do you know if I'd need anything else?
Mermoo

If the Sky lady doesn't get back to me on Monday, I'd like to take you up … If the Sky lady doesn't get back to me on Monday, I'd like to take you up on that-thanks!

is that for the od connector or the wireless booster? If it's the booster, I ordered two at the beginning of Feb, one for myself and one for mother in law, hers turned up Wednesday just gone and I'm still waiting for mine...they said there's a massive demand and can take 2 - 3 months!
Apogee00

is that for the od connector or the wireless booster? If it's the … is that for the od connector or the wireless booster? If it's the booster, I ordered two at the beginning of Feb, one for myself and one for mother in law, hers turned up Wednesday just gone and I'm still waiting for mine...they said there's a massive demand and can take 2 - 3 months!

I think either would fix the problem (if the booster has an ethernet cable slot).
Mermoo

I would be prepared to pay for it if it wasn't advertised as free!

Well if they told me I wasn't going to get something advertised as free, I would ring up and cancel, or play hell, which it seems you have done now and got somewhere, but anyway, we used it, so much wireless interference it doesn't work properly, so chucked it in the end and just hard wired, because so many TV things use internet (Apple TV, Sky, PS3) - I installed a RJ11 cable and put the router by the TV, made all the difference, now everything works as it should do.
have got a spare od connector now, let me know if you want it or not
Apogee00

have got a spare od connector now, let me know if you want it or not

Thanks Apogee00, they are apparently sending one this week-if I don't have it by Monday, that would be great thanks.
dcx_badass

The OD connector and the Wireless booster are basically exactly the same … The OD connector and the Wireless booster are basically exactly the same thing. Well the Wireless Booster is actually better and free for everyone.

I'm not with Sky for broadband just tv, so as far as I know, the wifi booster wouldn't be free for me.
Edited by: "Mermoo" 9th Apr 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants