Expired

Can I mix Dulux paint colours?

Found 13th Apr 2013
I have a tin of Dulux 'Sorbet' matt vinyl, which is a pale strawberry pink. I have decided that it's maybe just a bit TOO pink - could I mix this with a little of a) Dulux 'White Chiffon' vinyl matt, which is an off white, or b) a little Dulux Magic White vinyl matt.
I don't see why I can't do this but I wondered if anyone else has mixed paints with good results?
Community Updates
AskDuluxPaint
6 Comments
Yes you can mix paints BUT make sure that you mix enough for all your needs before you start pIainting. If you run out and need to mix some more you're going to really struggle to get the exact same shade again.
You can mix paint, sometimes not so well if they're not the same finish but both matt would be fine. the only things to be aware of are 1 it takes a lot of mixing, and you need to get it thoroughly mixed. One of those paint mixers you get that go in your drill would work best, but well you can just do it with a stick (eventually). And 2 you either have to be absolutely certain that you mix up enough of the new colour to do the job in one go, or else make sure you know the exact ratios you mix, so you can recreate it. So if the sorbet is a 2.5 L can, and is still new, that's a bit easier. just make sure you measure how much white you add.

I will just ask though, does it look too pink in the can? because if you haven't painted a test patch you can't really know, it will try a different colour, and the shade will also be affected by whatever colour was on the walls originally.
Original Poster
derbyshireterrier

Yes you can mix paints BUT make sure that you mix enough for all your … Yes you can mix paints BUT make sure that you mix enough for all your needs before you start pIainting. If you run out and need to mix some more you're going to really struggle to get the exact same shade again.

Thanks for that, yes, hopefully one tin should be enough!
Original Poster
geekeh

You can mix paint, sometimes not so well if they're not the same finish … You can mix paint, sometimes not so well if they're not the same finish but both matt would be fine. the only things to be aware of are 1 it takes a lot of mixing, and you need to get it thoroughly mixed. One of those paint mixers you get that go in your drill would work best, but well you can just do it with a stick (eventually). And 2 you either have to be absolutely certain that you mix up enough of the new colour to do the job in one go, or else make sure you know the exact ratios you mix, so you can recreate it. So if the sorbet is a 2.5 L can, and is still new, that's a bit easier. just make sure you measure how much white you add.I will just ask though, does it look too pink in the can? because if you haven't painted a test patch you can't really know, it will try a different colour, and the shade will also be affected by whatever colour was on the walls originally.

Thank you for the advice - I decided that the sorbet pink just wasn't the right colour, regardless of depth of shade, so I ended up mixing the white chiffon can with a tester of a very deep bright pink (Sexy Pink) and I now have the perfect palest chalky power pink I wanted. Hopefully one can will be enough but I know how to make the same shade should I need to.
Now...if only I could conjure up some HotUKdealers to apply the paint....;)
geekeh

You can mix paint, sometimes not so well if they're not the same finish … You can mix paint, sometimes not so well if they're not the same finish but both matt would be fine. the only things to be aware of are 1 it takes a lot of mixing, and you need to get it thoroughly mixed. One of those paint mixers you get that go in your drill would work best, but well you can just do it with a stick (eventually). And 2 you either have to be absolutely certain that you mix up enough of the new colour to do the job in one go, or else make sure you know the exact ratios you mix, so you can recreate it. So if the sorbet is a 2.5 L can, and is still new, that's a bit easier. just make sure you measure how much white you add.I will just ask though, does it look too pink in the can? because if you haven't painted a test patch you can't really know, it will try a different colour, and the shade will also be affected by whatever colour was on the walls originally.

Super answer, you know your paints
I often mix water based emulsions for customers so they can get the exact shade , Yes ,even mat and silk together , if done right it will produce a satin finish . I normally mixed up small amounts in saucers first and paint on the walls in squares for the customer to chose . Once the shade is right I would mix in an empty 10 ltr emulsion tub ,starting off with the darker colour then adding the white and mixing along the way .At the end of the job , any left over paint pour into old jam or coffee jars ,full to the brim ,tighten the lid and keep in a dry place . It will keep for years incase you need to touch up an area .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants