Groups
    EXPIRED

Can i play a blu ray file through a usb flash drive ?

Hi,

I have just bought a LG 42LH3000 tv and ran the hack so am able to watch films etc through the USB connections but one thing i do not understand is how to burn blu ray disks and then copy over to my USB device to play through the TV?

Is there free good software which can burn blu rays and then can be played through a usb stick when travelling etc?

Thank you,

27 Comments

Real Cheap.

Open up the wallet and buy a Bluray Player for about £80 or less.

Original Poster

dcx_badass;8536060

Why would you burn it if you want to play it off a flash drive.....

I really do not know what to do so that is why i asked. I thought you burn disks to a hard drive?

alexandercooper- "Real Cheap" lol you been watching too much tv from america have you. And for your suggestion go yourself

You certainly can play blu ray content via USB flash drive but there are some caveats. First of all, the data on a commercial blu ray movie is encrypted and copying the contents directly to a USB drive will not allow the film to be played in HD - the quality will be downsampled. Secondly, it is illegal (in this country) to transfer the contents of a commercial blu ray movie to another media - even for backup purposes (yes, it does seem ridiculous but when you buy a film, you are actually paying for the licence). It is highly unlikely any action will be taken against this sort of activity though.

In order to play the blu ray film from your flash drive, you may need to encode it as an ISO before copying the ISO file onto your flash drive. You can subsequently mount the ISO file using Daemon Tools or similar which will fool PowerDVD (or another similar playback software) into recognising the mounted ISO as an optical drive.

If you intend to create ISO files of commercial blu ray media then I cannot provide you with any details with respect to removal of HDCP or decryption of it but the above will be fine for blu ray media that you have created yourself.

Oh, if your flash drive is of a capacity lower than the media size, you will need to re-encode the data - there are numerous software packages to do this of which RipBot264 is one such example.

EDIT: I just realised you want to play Blu Ray through USB on your TV - I assumed a PC because you mentioned travelling? It is impossible for your TV tom play blu ray media via USB. Your TV does not decode VC-1 or MPEG-2 and will not recognise the directory structure of a blu ray root directory and it most certainly will not recognise ISO files. The above applies to a PC and not TV.

Banned

ElliottC;8536226

You certainly can play blu ray content via USB flash drive but there are … You certainly can play blu ray content via USB flash drive but there are some caveats. First of all, the data on a commercial blu ray movie is encrypted and copying the contents directly to a USB drive will not allow the film to be played in HD - the quality will be downsampled. Secondly, it is illegal (in this country) to transfer the contents of a commercial blu ray movie to another media - even for backup purposes (yes, it does seem ridiculous but when you buy a film, you are actually paying for the licence). It is highly unlikely any action will be taken against this sort of activity though.In order to play the blu ray film from your flash drive, you may need to encode it as an ISO before copying the ISO file onto your flash drive. You can subsequently mount the ISO file using Daemon Tools or similar which will fool PowerDVD (or another similar playback software) into recognising the mounted ISO as an optical drive.If you intend to create ISO files of commercial blu ray media then I cannot provide you with any details with respect to removal of HDCP or decryption of it but the above will be fine for blu ray media that you have created yourself.Oh, if your flash drive is of a capacity lower than the media size, you will need to re-encode the data - there are numerous software packages to do this of which RipBot264 is one such example.EDIT: I just realised you want to play Blu Ray through USB on your TV - I assumed a PC. It is impossible for your TV tom play blu ray media via USB. Your TV does not decode VC-1 or MPEG-2 and will not recognise the directory structure of a blu ray root directory and it most certainly will not recognise ISO files.

You're straight as an arrow aren't you!

You're going to need Slysoft's AnyDVD HD or DVDFab. Both come with free trials and will allow you to copy a blu ray to your hard drive with one or two clicks.

Once you have the movie on the hard disk I would recommend you convert to MKV. Not sure which software is the best but you'd be far better off just downloading the mkv off th enet!

master_chief;8536301

You're straight as an arrow aren't you!You're going to need Slysoft's … You're straight as an arrow aren't you!You're going to need Slysoft's AnyDVD HD or DVDFab. Both come with free trials and will allow you to copy a blu ray to your hard drive with one or two clicks.Once you have the movie on the hard disk I would recommend you convert to MKV. Not sure which software is the best but you'd be far better off just downloading the mkv off th enet!

Well when I was an IT journalist, I always answered these type of questions by explaining how to backup media that are home made. I have encountered a few difficult issues in the past when revealing certain information.

Your suggestion of re-encoding to MKV would allow the TV to play back the media so long as the TV recognises the MKV container (note it is NOT a CODEC - it is a container) and also the TV must recognise the CODEC contained within the MKV file. If the flash memory has enough storage, it would obviously be a much better viewing experience for the OP to eschew the re-encoding and have an exact digital image of the original (and home-made) movie - obviously I don't know about commercial movies. Using MKV for a downgraded picture obviously would be more practical providing the TV supports the container and the contained CODEC.

Banned

ElliottC;8536418

Well when I was an IT journalist, I always answered these type of … Well when I was an IT journalist, I always answered these type of questions by explaining how to backup media that are home made. I have encountered a few difficult issues in the past when revealing certain information.Your suggestion of re-encoding to MKV would allow the TV to play back the media so long as the TV recognises the MKV container (note it is NOT a CODEC - it is a container) and also the TV must recognise the CODEC contained within the MKV file. If the flash memory has enough storage, it would obviously be a much better viewing experience for the OP to eschew the re-encoding and have an exact digital image of the original (and home-made) movie - obviously I don't know about commercial movies. Using MKV for a downgraded picture obviously would be more practical providing the TV supports the container and the contained CODEC.

You're like a starched shirt

master_chief;8536444

You're like a starched shirt

Only on a public forum!

Banned

ElliottC;8536462

Only on a public forum!

You've not spent enough time on here. This place is a den of naughty activity!

master_chief;8536486

You've not spent enough time on here. This place is a den of naughty … You've not spent enough time on here. This place is a den of naughty activity!

lol +1 and i've been away for a while and i even know this

Banned

danny09;8536522

lol +1 and i've been away for a while and i even know this

Wii softmods, DS flash carts, "free" sky, 360 flashing, movie downloads... have I missed anything else?

master_chief;8536535

Wii softmods, DS flash carts, "free" sky, 360 flashing, movie … Wii softmods, DS flash carts, "free" sky, 360 flashing, movie downloads... have I missed anything else?

Yes, you havn't mentioned the cloaking of virus by encryption within a runnable executable (especially key generators). They cannot be detected until decryption by which time the damage is done.

How about playing Nintendo Wii games on a PC, hacking the HDCP bit flag from a Sky Box Office movie (or commercial blu ray film) to record on a PC or ways to circumvent timed trials of software without patches or serial numbers? I am aware of how naughty this is (although the self decryting virus is preeminent), but of course I have no idea how to implement any of this.

Oh I have been here long enough to have seen activity that is bordering on the criminal. From whinging about posts being voted cold to lying about one's wealth and car. Activities that are so nasty, they deserve 3 months.

Banned

ElliottC;8536596

Yes, you havn't mentioned the cloaking of virus by encryption within a … Yes, you havn't mentioned the cloaking of virus by encryption within a runnable executable (especially key generators). They cannot be detected until decryption by which time the damage is done.How about playing Nintendo Wii games on a PC, hacking the HDCP bit flag from a Sky Box Office movie (or commercial blu ray film) to record on a PC or ways to circumvent timed trials of software without patches or serial numbers? I am aware of how naughty this is (although the self decryting virus is preeminent), but of course I have no idea how to implement any of this.Oh I have been here long enough to have seen activity that is bordering on the criminal. From whinging about posts being voted cold to lying about one's wealth and car. Activities that are so nasty, they deserve 3 months.

you didnt mention the wannabe mod posts, you have much to learn!

your lucky i cant get into the menu trying to do the hold ok for 5 secsonds thing but no prompt comes..... what screen did you do it on????

duh wasnt holding right button on tv lol

Original Poster

master_chief;8536301

You're straight as an arrow aren't you!You're going to need Slysoft's … You're straight as an arrow aren't you!You're going to need Slysoft's AnyDVD HD or DVDFab. Both come with free trials and will allow you to copy a blu ray to your hard drive with one or two clicks.Once you have the movie on the hard disk I would recommend you convert to MKV. Not sure which software is the best but you'd be far better off just downloading the mkv off th enet!

Thank you both! What i understand is that after the USB port hack the LG 47LH3000 can play MKV files. So what exactly would be the process to copy one of my blu rays so i can play via USB? And would it or would it not reduce the quality? Sorry but i am lost on this one...

jubbyme;8536693

you didnt mention the wannabe mod posts, you have much to learn!

Which part of "From whinging about posts being voted cold to lying about one's wealth and car" do you not understand? Comprehension is am important trait, you have much to learn!

chapchap;8537005

Thank you both! What i understand is that after the USB port hack the LG … Thank you both! What i understand is that after the USB port hack the LG 47LH3000 can play MKV files. So what exactly would be the process to copy one of my blu rays so i can play via USB? And would it or would it not reduce the quality? Sorry but i am lost on this one...

TBH it is allot of work (google bluray ripper) however you are allowed one backup copy of each of your dvds (by law dont know what one tho) so if you have unlimited internet i would jus download the ones you have a blurays as they come in .mkv already

Original Poster

jackt010;8536763

your lucky i cant get into the menu trying to do the hold ok for 5 … your lucky i cant get into the menu trying to do the hold ok for 5 secsonds thing but no prompt comes..... what screen did you do it on????duh wasnt holding right button on tv lol

Did you manage to hack it? If so, well done as it add even better value/features to an already brill TV.

chapchap;8537867

Did you manage to hack it? If so, well done as it add even better … Did you manage to hack it? If so, well done as it add even better value/features to an already brill TV.

yeah well worth it i was gonna look when i had time abotu using the usb as thought someone must of done it..... even better as got the v new from comet (32" one) fo £200

chapchap;8537005

Thank you both! What i understand is that after the USB port hack the LG … Thank you both! What i understand is that after the USB port hack the LG 47LH3000 can play MKV files. So what exactly would be the process to copy one of my blu rays so i can play via USB? And would it or would it not reduce the quality? Sorry but i am lost on this one...

First of all the media has to be re-encoded as I suggested earlier (use blu ray rippers as suggested by myself and others). If your destination drive is of smaller capacity than the media, the bitrate of the video and/or audio must be reduced to make the final file small enough to fit onto the destination drive. Needless to say that the quality is degraded. I reiterate my point regarding thwarting the HDCP encryption - you will have to ask others regarding this issue. You have confirmed that MKV files are supported by your TV but you must also choose a CODEC that is compatible too. A CODEC is a compressor/decompressor. It is a piece of code that uses algorithms to compress data and obviously, playback of the media requires decompressing. Different CODECs have different methods of compressing and decompressing and consequently, the TV must be able to handle the CODEC that the media was compressed with in the first place. Examples of CODECs are VC-1, MPEG2, H264, etc. MKV is a type of file and is a container that mandates the format of the files contained within it by layering the audio, its properties, video, its properties, the CODEC to be used and so on and so forth.

Jackt, it is NOT permissable by law to even make one copy, not in the UK. In some countries such as the US, their is a fair use policy in making backups but the law in the UK is constantly being reviewed. In the vast majority of cases, the authorities will turn a blind eye - after all, it is not pragmatic to prosecute millions of iPod users, for example. Interestingly, software that circumvents the copy protection on media are illegal - paying for and buying the software isn't.

Banned

Just realised DVDFab has a full Blu to MKV option. Give it a try and see how you get on.

As mentioned though, if you already have the Blu Ray and a player then not sure why you'd want to rip them and play off a USB stick. Are you just wanting to test it out or will you genuinely be watching movies like this in the future?

Banned

chapchap;8537005

if you are gonna break copyright, then you might as well just download the BR version of the film anyway

Banned

csiman;8538084

if you are gonna break copyright, then you might as well just download … if you are gonna break copyright, then you might as well just download the BR version of the film anyway

Well one is easier to get caught at than the other but yes, if all precautions are taken then downloading it is the best option.

Original Poster

master_chief;8538002

Just realised DVDFab has a full Blu to MKV option. Give it a try and see … Just realised DVDFab has a full Blu to MKV option. Give it a try and see how you get on.As mentioned though, if you already have the Blu Ray and a player then not sure why you'd want to rip them and play off a USB stick. Are you just wanting to test it out or will you genuinely be watching movies like this in the future?

Well i have been given some Blu Rays but don't have a player so though i would see if i can play them through the USB on my TV. I don't really want to download the movies as i already have them so will give DVDFab a try.

Thanks

chapchap;8539916

Well i have been given some Blu Rays but don't have a player so though i … Well i have been given some Blu Rays but don't have a player so though i would see if i can play them through the USB on my TV. I don't really want to download the movies as i already have them so will give DVDFab a try.Thanks

Without a Blu Ray player, how do you expect to transfer the contents to another drive?

this wont work the tv cant play blu ray files

Original Poster

Thank you all for your help and advice-using what you told me i spoke to a m8 who has been ripping his legally bought and owned DVDs/Blu Rays to his HD home cinema recently and have decided to by a Blu Ray player from eBuyer...

Chars!

chapchap;8537005

I previewed many (about 15) different Blu-ray ripping products and Pavtube offered the most flexible combination of options for the two tasks I wanted to accomplish.So i think the Pavtube Blu-Ray Ripper Software is currently the best ripping software and surprisingly it can rip both DVDs & Blu-Ray Discs without the need of having a different Undo-Protection program.
    Using it,you can rip and convert your blu ray movies to MKV.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…2261
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767245
    3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826357
    4. word association Game73844477

See more discussions