Groups

Can I play AVI movies on my PS3 direct from a WD passport HD?

Should I be able to? When I select USB device nothing shows up. A Cruzer mem stick shows in the same socket.

Ta

16 Comments

Make sure it's formatted to FAT32. The PS3 can't read HDD's formated in NTFS.

Original Poster

Gimme;7803607

Make sure it's formatted to FAT32. The PS3 can't read HDD's formated in … Make sure it's formatted to FAT32. The PS3 can't read HDD's formated in NTFS.

Ahh, it's straight out of the box so it'll be ntfs?

Does the device show up?
    if so click triangle and select display al..

deek72;7803627

It will be, try Easeus (other programs available) to format it. Remember though you won't be able to put files bigger than 4GB on it.

deek72;7803627

Guess so. As above it will need to be formatted, cant remember how you do it just google ntfs to fat32 format and it should run you through it.

spikeyjacko;7803640

Does the device show up?if so click triangle and select display all..

or this ^

if you have a decent enough wireless set-up you should try ps3 media server that way you can keep you drive in NTFS and stream any files to the ps3 any size

Original Poster

spikeyjacko;7803640

Does the device show up?if so click triangle and select display al..

No, doesn't show up.

bfjem;7803671

if you have a decent enough wireless set-up you should try ps3 media … if you have a decent enough wireless set-up you should try ps3 media server that way you can keep you drive in NTFS and stream any files to the ps3 any size

Thanks I may have a look at this.

Gimme;7803641

It will be, try Easeus (other programs available) to format it. Remember … It will be, try Easeus (other programs available) to format it. Remember though you won't be able to put files bigger than 4GB on it.

numptyj;7803653

Guess so. As above it will need to be formatted, cant remember how you do … Guess so. As above it will need to be formatted, cant remember how you do it just google ntfs to fat32 format and it should run you through it.

I can format to FAT32 but read you can only format a drive of up to 32gb in FAT32? Mine is 320gb.
    wikihow.com/Add…n-3

Just use Easus,the 32GB limit for formatting is just a Windows thing. I've got a 500GB drive attached to the PS3 formatted to FAT32.

Original Poster

Gimme;7803717

Just use Easus,the 32GB limit for formatting is just a Windows thing. … Just use Easus,the 32GB limit for formatting is just a Windows thing. I've got a 500GB drive attached to the PS3 formatted to FAT32.

Thanks, will give it a shot. Finally, it's not possible to change to FAT32 with files still on it is it? I remember changing to NTFS without formatting a few years ago iirc?

I spent ages doing this when I bought an omega one abit ago, and for some reason it took me weeks to find a program that would actually format it to FAT32!
    I think you need to remove the files

Original Poster

Ok, thank everyone, got something to go on.
    All repped. :thumbsup:

dcx_badass;7804504

Need to make it Fat32, but the PS3 absolutely sucks as a media centre, … Need to make it Fat32, but the PS3 absolutely sucks as a media centre, couldn't play half of my avis.

Hi dcx seriosly give PS3 media server a try it converts you files as it streams them thus allowing any file to stream to ps3 and I mean any also any size thus negating the need for FAT32:thumbsup:

dcx_badass;7804504

Need to make it Fat32, but the PS3 absolutely sucks as a media centre, … Need to make it Fat32, but the PS3 absolutely sucks as a media centre, couldn't play half of my avis.

think the ps3 is pretty sweet, have very little trouble at all

it doesnt do sound from a couple of xvids i have and ive tried converting them but the audio then goes outta sync think its cos they are NTSC 60hz and it converts to 50hz

but everthing else i throw at it, it plays

I usually stream with the ]PS3 media server . You can use the ]HP format tool to format to fat32, I've used it on a few 1tb drives.
    Media server also plays mkv files with no issues.

If you do decide to go the FAT32 route then why not use 'External USB/FireWire Fat32 Formatting Utility' download available on WD's site.
    ]http//su…34&
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3331199
      2. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…2044
      3. What is there free to do in your town?1422
      4. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…57

See more discussions