Groups

Can I please have your honest opinion, its a bit lengthy so i apologise in advance...

Last month my friends car failed it's MOT, so I offered for her to bring it in to my work where we have a mechanics workshop where she could get the car fixed a bit cheaper. She was estimated £300 for the work. At that point it was explained to her that all bills would come off my wages directly and she would need to reinburse me. The car being a cabriolet, needed ABS sensors also and was quoted another £180 plus an MOT. During this she got very irrate with me as she wanted her car back and it wasnt ready due to waiting for parts and started shouting and swearing at me on the phone. At this point I asked her to deal with the mechanic direct as i didnt want or need to be shouted at. Her car then refailed an MOT and she decided to take it back to the original garage to get it MOT'd again.
    The first bill came in at £430 which she paid £415 of to me, the second bill came in which again came directly from my wages for £190. Now I have agrred with her that the bill is approx £110 over what was estimated, and that she should contact the mechanic but she is point blank refusing to reinburse me for the money taken off my wages which leaves me short this month by approx £205. She does nothing but shout and swear at me regarding this and it has all become so petty that I have now told her that I have no other option than to make a claim at the small claims court as she will not reinburse me and deal with the mechanic at all and has left me with it to deal with and £205 short which is a great deal to me. Am I wrong??? Am I right??? Whats your opinion???

37 Comments

she sounds like a tool, go slash her tyres

and this is your "friend??"-seriously,if all agreements between you were verbal cant see much chance in a small claims court tbh.

before I even finished reading this I though small claims court... Not really a friend is she to be like that.

Not always a good idea to help out friends where money is involved. You do say it was about 110 pounds over what was estimated which might be the problem. Good luck with it though and i hope she wasn't a good mate as she certainly isn't going to be after all this.

This looks like a case for judge judy. If you are happy taking her to court. Do it.

Original Poster

:?WAS one of my best friends

Be careful going for a claim, I suspect you're taking cash instead of the wages which would still need to be declared. I assume you're not self employed and not declaring the money? Could land you in more trouble than it's worth.

I think you are in the right.. id do the same

Original Poster

I have all paper work and notes written by her saying what she has paid and that she isnt paying me anymore, the verbal contract about reinbursing me was made between her and the mechanic, so you dont htink Im wrong in saying she is being unfair then?

Original Poster

whatsThePoint;8910629

But to be honest £15 short the first time, once bitten

it was the same job just split between two wages

numptyj;8910567

she sounds like a tool, go slash her tyres

Agreed. I vote Ribena in the coolant tank and lucozade in the engine oil.

Original Poster

trego37;8910651

it was the same job just split between two wages

Banned

i would say a small price to pay to rid yourself of someone who behaves like this, lessons learnt, it could have been alot more

Banned

Maybe best to walk away and put it down to experience.

Original Poster

Benjimoron;8910632

Be careful going for a claim, I suspect you're taking cash instead of the … Be careful going for a claim, I suspect you're taking cash instead of the wages which would still need to be declared. I assume you're not self employed and not declaring the money? Could land you in more trouble than it's worth.

No it was taken off my wages after tax etc

trego37;8910644

I have all paper work and notes written by her saying what she has paid … I have all paper work and notes written by her saying what she has paid and that she isnt paying me anymore, the verbal contract about reinbursing me was made between her and the mechanic, so you dont htink Im wrong in saying she is being unfair then?

heres the bit I dont get-a reputable garage will agree the cost beforehand wont they? if they are doing an mot,they dont surely go ahead with work the client hasnt agreed to pay for. so the friend either agreed to pay or she didnt. and if she did,she HAS to pay.

trego37;8910665

No it was taken off my wages after tax etc

Why do it in that way then? I don't see how anyone gained anything by taking it off your wages??

Original Poster

sassie;8910656

i would say a small price to pay to rid yourself of someone who behaves … i would say a small price to pay to rid yourself of someone who behaves like this, lessons learnt, it could have been alot more

Sassie £205n is a lot of money to me I am a lone parent with no other income bar my own, surely I shouldnt walk away and let her away with me paying for her car leaving me short?:oops:

Banned

trego37;8910700

Sassie £205n is a lot of money to me I am a lone parent with no other … Sassie £205n is a lot of money to me I am a lone parent with no other income bar my own, surely I shouldnt walk away and let her away with me paying for her car leaving me short?:oops:

like i say a cheap lesson to learn, it could have been alot more

Original Poster

Benjimoron;8910686

Why do it in that way then? I don't see how anyone gained anything by … Why do it in that way then? I don't see how anyone gained anything by taking it off your wages??

Its because its a school and non profit making business that has a mechanics workshop for the boys to learn in but its fully certificated and open for employees and their relatives and friends

If she was any kind of friend she'd be aware of your circumstances and wouldn't pull this crap on you in the 1st place.
    If you take her to small claims it's not gonna rectify your situation at the moment. You'll still be down 205 pounds until it gets sorted either way. Is it worth the hassle?

Never a Lender nor a Borrower Be.

This is something I feel strongly about. I have never borrowed money from a friend - ever, nor have I lent any - and I wouldnt. Its a bad mix.

Some friend btw - and proves my thoughts on mixing money and friendship - oil and water

trego37;8910716

Its because its a school and non profit making business that has a … Its because its a school and non profit making business that has a mechanics workshop for the boys to learn in but its fully certificated and open for employees and their relatives and friends

I still don't see why she didn't pay direct but took it from your wages? I could see it if you saved paying some tax and took some cash but if that's not the case then I can't see how it helped anyone?

I'd have said to pay direct. Or had payment in advance.

Steal the car...

curry powder down the air vents

Some of you have some weird friends. Only my family stitch me up, my friends I can trust with anything lol

if she has an unreasonable attitude like that then ditch her as she aint no friend.

submit the small claims court action against her and at least try and get some of your money back.

then leave her behind like a bad smell.

bossyboots;8910794
    Some friend btw - and proves my thoughts on mixing money and friendship - [SIZE="4"]oil and water[/SIZE]

WTF? what substances have you been taking BB?

:-D

Banned

StevenA2000_uk;8910958

WTF? what substances have you been taking BB? :p:-D

have you never heard the phrase water and oil dont mix?

jubbyme;8910967

have you never heard the phrase water and oil dont mix?

:roll:

I can see her being a little annoyed after paying for mot repairs and it failing the retest.

But as I don't know the set up where you work as to whether it should be taken up with you or not. The problem is you paid the mechanic so I guess it's down to you to sort the problems.

The way your employer takes the money out of your wages to pay the mechanic has sort of made you the middle man.

Banned

how can a car possibly re-fail an mot if the car remained at the garage until original mot repairs were completed? I would be very annoyed and see this as a con.

Banned

trego37;8910644

I have all paper work and notes written by her saying what she has paid … I have all paper work and notes written by her saying what she has paid and that she isnt paying me anymore, the verbal contract about reinbursing me was made between her and the mechanic, so you dont htink Im wrong in saying she is being unfair then?

She's being unfair, yet - but your 'friend' is also in a sticky situation. She's possibly been overcharged but unable to effectively challenge as the bill has already been paid. You agreed to help her re payment and have taken responsibility for settling the bill. In that situation I'd suggest you approach the mechanic and try to work out why the additional charges have arisen. If you have not sanctioned the work then you need to challenge this. I assume there must be some sort of written agreement for a wages deduction to have taken place. If you have effectively delegated the authority for approval of works to your friend, then there's not much more you can do to solve your immediate problem other than take it on the chin.

Upon reflection though, there's something else far wrong that merits further action. If works were undertaken solely to pass the MOT and it failed due to the repair not being of standard, then you, as the paying customer, need to get back in touch with the garage. The messy point about this is that I'm assuming the MOT was performed at the original garage. Taking it off the premises quite often will result in another full fee being due.

However if I was your friend, I'd have fully reimbursed you and declined any further help you might have offered in the future with regards to future repairs.

It's an awful mess, but there's too much missing info to really give a good call on this.

tommo440;8910837

curry powder down the air vents

A waste of Curry!!! Wash your mouth out!

omg, when will people learn not to get involved in situations like this especially when money coming direct from wages is concerned.

Please let your 'friends' deal with getting their own car fixed like the independent people they strive to be..

this method involves less shouty, shouty

I had my car and the wifes car in for service and mots this week, The costs were £45 MoT and £90 service each, but from experience I know there will always be something so for my own budgeting I put aside a grand just in case.

The mechanic rang me 3 times to keep me updated of what was needed and what it was costing
    In the end it came to £700 as mine needed new discs and pads and my mechanic persuaded me to upgrade.

Without knowing exactly what work was done, especially what was needed after the mot fail its hard to tell if the costs are fair or not. It could simply be that the mechanic missed something in the pre-check or a part failed before the MOT.

Remind your friend what estimate means, tell her to wind her neck in and ask how she can repay you.

Original Poster

Thank You To All Who Have Answered This As It Has Given Me Clarity On The Situation...i Guess A Lesson Learned A Friend Lost And Time For The Situation To Be Dealt With. Thanks All Xox
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. BT FIBRE EXISTING CUSTOMER810
      2. CAR QUESTION: Difference Between Lexus IS300 and Lexus IS300h?48
      3. Best laptop for a budget of £700?11
      4. Free EE data (contract)11

See more discussions